CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else feel the kickstand on the ctx700 is a bit sketchy? it feels like a draft could knock the bike over, and i really wish it had a bigger footprint like a normal cruiser kickstand. i don't supposed kickstands are standardized and that i could replace it with one with a bigger foot?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have rocked most of the weight on it and it held fine. In my mind it leans a little too much and at first I worried about it falling over on the kickstand side. Now after 45 days, I don't think about it. I think the wind would have a tough time blowing over the bike. I have the N version with an aftermarket windshield so maybe the fairing model sets differently. I don't know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kickstand

My wife had the 700N and I have the 700D, no difference in kickstand. I share your concern. Especially on soft ground - you know, those half graveled parking lots at mom and pop beer joints on the country roads.:mad:

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Kickstands are easy to remove but you need a stand to hold the bike while it is off. Most muffler shops and machines shops will weld a larger foot on to your kickstand for less than 20.00. just take a piece of cardboard and mock up the size and shape of plate you want welded onto it. Better yet, if you have a metal saw and grinder in your garage make the plate yourself and take it to the welder. Also, Welding the plate on with the kickstand still on the bike is not a good thing for surrounding components and electrical circuits (in my mind).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a pitbull and shouldn't have any problem removing the stand. my old man's neighbor is a welder. thanks for the advice!!

for now, i have a rough aluminum puck i'll toss in my tail bag.

ps: that N is gorgeous in red.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Although new to the bike, I'm counting on the very low CG to keep it upright in a wind. Hopefully.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are there after market kickstands you can buy for the bike instead of a DIY kickstand foot? If a welder puts a metal foot on your kickstand, will it look seamless and natural, or like you welded a piece of metal onto the foot of your kickstand?

Even though its just a kick stand, it is important to me that it look nice.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Are there after market kickstands you can buy for the bike instead of a DIY kickstand foot? If a welder puts a metal foot on your kickstand, will it look seamless and natural, or like you welded a piece of metal onto the foot of your kickstand?

Even though its just a kick stand, it is important to me that it look nice.

With just a little imagination you could weld on something that would not look like a piece of crap welded on. I have modified a few and nobody but me knew it or cared.

You got to remember this bike is new and you just cant go to a store and get what you want. You can always order a new kickstand when you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I feel that the kickstand is too short on my CTX700N. Since the sister bike NC700 sits slightly higher, I wonder if that stand would bolt on the CTX?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have never owned a bike where I didn't have doubts about the kickstand. I think I am probably just a "worry wart". If you park your bike properly with the wheel turned into the lean you should be alright. I have always used something like the disk in the below url for parking on "Blacktop" in the Summer or on soft ground. I tie a string through the hole and loop it on the bike near the handle bars so that I can easily pick it up when leaving to ride.

https://www.denniskirk.com/617286.s...iucHjlWT5iwT-hWuEujgcQTSZYUhRUB0CAaAkJx8P8HAQ

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The stock kickstand works perfectly. What some fear is that it is weak do to the more lean then most bikes. However, the reason for the extra lean is due to the very low center of gravity. The stand is balanced just right for most conditions. Some cruisers have what you may believe is a larger foot print, but that really Isn't so. Do to the bikes heavier weight, the increase in foot print brings the stand still standing at about the same PSI as the rest.

You can increase the foot print, this will reduce sinking. Always keep in mind where you park and how long. Any stand will sink if the terrain is soft enuff or has future changes.

I extended and created a larger foot print on mine. My bike is lifted some, has a higher center of gravity due to accessories and lift and also has reduced lean to compensate.

You can trust the stock stands. I have had many, many bikes sitting in 30-40mph wind sitting in neutral and never had an issue of moving or falling. It is all in placement and thinking ahead. If you ever lower or lift your bike, the stand will need to be adjusted accordingly or you may have issues.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I didn't trust the kickstand on my BMW R1100RT and resorted to using an all metal foot which was held in place semi-permanently with the 3 screws. It worked very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't trust my ctx d kickstand. I wish it were about 3/4 inch shorter. I have to find a perfectly level spot. Even filling up my tank during a windy day I had to have one hand holding the bike. I do have the large windshield. I have had several bikes and this is something I have to pay attention to. .........now I am waiting for my Corbin seat ; )

·
Registered
305 Posts
No, not at all. Everyone should carry a puck with them, on any bike.
Which is to say that no I do not mistrust the kickstand at all.

Reactions: jfc77320 and Kfrill

·
Registered
908 Posts
I didn't trust the kickstand on my BMW R1100RT and resorted to using an all metal foot which was held in place semi-permanently with the 3 screws. It worked very well.
I have found several similar aftermarket products on EBay that claim to fit the NC700S. But its height notwithstanding, I don't think the "foot" of the kickstand on that bike is the same as the one on ours.

Reactions: Merlin III

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The feet between the CTX and NC are not the same at all. Why get a pad attachable or loose when you can get a bigger piece of metal welded to the original for the same price or less. Attach and forget it and is also safer.

·
Registered
908 Posts
The feet between the CTX and NC are not the same at all. Why get a pad attachable or loose when you can get a bigger piece of metal welded to the original for the same price or less. Attach and forget it and is also safer.
No access to a welder.

Reactions: MacGyver1

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Look for a local welding/fabrication shop to do the welding. Its surprisingly cheap to have it done and it usually takes little time. Its much cheaper than trying to find a replacement kickstand.

If you can do most of the work your self such as cutting off the existing pad, making the replacement pad, and removing the paint for welding, its even cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
First of all, a larger pad is not necessary. Any auto and muffler shop can weld it for free and up to $20 depending on you and the place you take it to. How you ask, interact and the type of business you go to make a world of a difference. If you act friendly and go to a small non chain business, that will be cheaper then a large chain joint. If you ask just right, they may even prep and paint it for you too. All you need is a $1 can of gloss black paint, a sheet of medium grain sand paper or block and a pad. If people really need a pad, I may be able to make a few.

All you need to do is place the kickstand down on top of the pad and they weld them together as is. Be aware, before they weld it, detach and remove the kickstand spring or the welding will destroy it! Also keep in mind how it will be positioned after weld, check for clearences at rest and during swing. It is best to sand the paint off where the bead will be before hand for it to work better. Weld it, reattach the spring and take it home and finish off with some paint to coat and seal it from corrosion.

Making one from scratch like mine posted earlier is far more complicated!

Here is the comparison of the CTX vs. NC stands for reference.

·
Registered
254 Posts
stand pad

I have a plastic pad that they give away as promotional material at most major motorcycle shows/events.l keep it on bike and use if parking surface is questionable. I always make sure stand is in right position since a while back l had a v65 roll off the stand just as l walked 10 feet away. The stand was not in full open position. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts