CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea so i was at a restaurant with a friend and I'm getting ready to take off. I put my key in the ignition, i barely turned it. And it snapped off like a cracker. I called 4diff locksmith they wuld hardly even look at it. They all practically ran away. I'm not from around there. I was stuck in LB. The people who owned the resteraunt were really really great ppl. They really tried to help me. and when i had to uber home my bike was safe they had locked gates. Kuldnt have picked a better spot to break down
3DAYS LATER
Finally got a friend to tow my bike home. But I'm still with the problem. Ive got half the key wedged Waay down in the igntion. Sumone beat a screw driver down inside to try to turn it over manually. Ive ordered a new ignition lock. I kno where to start on assembling this thing. I can't take it to honda world bcuz they love ripping me off. Does any one have any videos or useful instructions

2013 Honda CTX700ND

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've never done it before, but I just looked it up and it is easy if you have some patience and basic mechanic skills. Remove the side shelters (piece of cake). Remove the center shelter (easy). Remove the headlight assembly (easy). Remove the ignition wire connection, clamp, etc. Remove the two ignition bolts. Reverse it for installation. A couple of hours tops. Torque the ignition nuts to 18LBs. If you don't have a torque wrench, rent it at Advance Auto. Don't overtighten it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yea so i was at a restaurant with a friend and I'm getting ready to take off. I put my key in the ignition, i barely turned it. And it snapped off like a cracker. I called 4diff locksmith they wuld hardly even look at it. They all practically ran away. I'm not from around there. I was stuck in LB. The people who owned the resteraunt were really really great ppl. They really tried to help me. and when i had to uber home my bike was safe they had locked gates. Kuldnt have picked a better spot to break down
3DAYS LATER
Finally got a friend to tow my bike home. But I'm still with the problem. Ive got half the key wedged Waay down in the igntion. Sumone beat a screw driver down inside to try to turn it over manually. Ive ordered a new ignition lock. I kno where to start on assembling this thing. I can't take it to honda world bcuz they love ripping me off. Does any one have any videos or useful instructions

2013 Honda CTX700ND
Well, I understand the fear of locksmiths, but one made me a couple keys for my 2014 CTX700 for 95¢ each because he was willing to try. If you tell this to a smith who works on normal household locks and have your spare key, you should be back in business quick. The smith should also have a tiny extractor kit or be able to use part of a pick kit to pull the piece out of the lock.
The only trick is getting them to understand this is not a chip lockout key, just a slug.

Good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
..................... Someone beat a screw driver down inside to try to turn it over manually. Ive ordered a new ignition lock. .......
I think he is past the "get a locksmith" step.

NidpixxMeow - There are a couple of links to the service manual here on the forum. Search for them and see which ones still work and download the manual. It's the first thing folks should get after buying a bike.

BTW - Posting your location is helpful in cases like this. If you lived near me I'd offer to help with it.

Doesn't look hard to do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
NPM,

If someone forced the core, it's shot. You might want to look at this:

·
Super Moderator
3,240 Posts
NPM,

If someone forced the core, it's shot. You might want to look at this:

Always shop around for things you need on eBay. Search around for a set costing a lot less. Used parts can have a wide variation in cost.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You do have to be careful on eBay. I once bought a key blank so I could have a spare. It is about $18 for the Honda OEM blank and there was one for $1.99 shipped from China. My bike was listed and for $2 I'd give it a shot. Well, apparently Ping Pong or Chow Mein or whatever the hell is name is got a huge box of key blanks for next to nothing and decided to put them up. The key blank fit about 1/2 way and then stopped. Careful measurements showed most of the dimensions were off by .1 or .2mm. After further research I learned that Honda has about a dozen different blanks for its bikes so if the seller lists ALL bikes Honda makes, DO NOT BUY IT.

Steve

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700ND
24 Posts
3DAYS LATER

2013 Honda CTX700ND
The same thing happened to me a
3DAYS LATER

2013 Honda CTX700ND
The same thing happened to me a few years back. The key broke inside my gas cap as I had stopped for a fill up. Luckily, I wasn't too far from home and the gas station attendant let me leave my bike there. I walked home over 2 miles in the dead of summer in full gear as I didn't have the spare key on me. Walked back with needle nose pliers which fortunately were good enough to lift the broken piece out. Needless to say, I never leave the house without the spare key..🤦‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
The same thing happened to me a

The same thing happened to me a few years back. The key broke inside my gas cap as I had stopped for a fill up. Luckily, I wasn't too far from home and the gas station attendant let me leave my bike there. I walked home over 2 miles in the dead of summer in full gear as I didn't have the spare key on me. Walked back with needle nose pliers which fortunately were good enough to lift the broken piece out. Needless to say, I never leave the house without the spare key..🤦‍♂️
These pictures make me cringe!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts