CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To start with you take off two 6mm allen head bolts at the top of the fairing. One on the right, one on the left. Here is where the right one is.

One the two bolts are removed you can tilt it forward to give you ample room to remove the plug on the bulb, the dust cover and the retention spring holding the bulb in.

This is the stock and new bulb compared. The thicker tab will face up.

As you can see, the new bulb will need a small modification to have it align properly. With both of the wide tabs facing up, you can see there is a "L" toward the front of the new bulb. If you put it in this way, your light would not work right so you must flip the collar at the base as shown below.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
In order to modify the bulb you must remove the silver collar around the base by pressing towards the rear and rotating counterclockwise until the smaller white tab aligns with the gap in the white collar and slide it off.

As suggested in another post, slide the o-ring up so it will not make things more complicated with rotating the collar. Remove the two silver screws on opposite sides from one another and rotate the collar 180 degrees and rescrew it in.

You can now replace the dust boot before replacing the silver plate. This way requires NO CUTTING of your dust boot. Be sure to put your boot back on with "TOP" on top.

Finally you will be left with a ready to install bulb with the wide silver tab at the top, the "R" facing towards where the right side of the bike will be. You can pull the dust cover back so you can work the retention spring in around the silver plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It can be a bit tricky but if you are careful you can get the bulb seated properly, the spring retainer holding the bulb in place as it was originally, and no cutting has been done to the boot.

Once the bulb is seated you can reinstall the dust boot leaving plenty of air to circulate and keep the bulb cool.

You can not connect the bulb to the adapter that comes with it and route it where you prefer. I opted to just lay it up top so we will see how that goes. You then connect the other connector to the stock headlight connector and you are ready to simply tilt the cover back into place and reinstall the two screws in the top of the fairing that was removed in the beginning.

Yes the "TOP" is a little canted to the side, big whoop... I am not that anal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Excellent! Your way of installing the boot without cutting is very similar to the way I described installing the boot on my faired CTX. I separated the silver mounting bracket and installed it and the clip first. Then slipped the boot over the light assembly itself and folded the book back over the bulb vent fan. I then inserted the bulb/boot into the mounting bracket and then locked it in place with a small twist. Unfolded the boot and then pushed it forward till installed. The pictures are excellent and give a great description of how to install the bulb. Nice job.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would have been good too, perhaps even easier.. Great suggestion

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
By the way, the light is a great improvement over stock. I went on a short ride last night and the difference was outstanding. I always felt like I couldn't see well with the stock low beams, especially when going around corners but this widens the light dispersion too so there is better light to both sides and higher (further down) the road.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So I am replacing my current LED with my OPT7, as I just took it out of the Burgman 650 being I am going to sell it and wont up the value.

In the Burg you leave it and it works, but looking at this if not mistaken:

I want to make sure the LED lights are facing the same way as your top picture? IE: Left of right not top and bottom?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See the attached pics. It sits vertically, so the the "R" would be on your right side while on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
I just got my bulb in the mail and installed it. It was constructed differently.

The backing plate isn't metal, it's polymer and there is no white sleeve with screws.

I wasn't able to put the rubber boot on, but the directions recommend against it anyways. Being waterproof I don't see any harm and it doesn't look like a lot of dust would make it's way in there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my bulb in the mail and installed it. It was constructed differently.

The backing plate isn't metal, it's polymer and there is no white sleeve with screws.

I wasn't able to put the rubber boot on, but the directions recommend against it anyways. Being waterproof I don't see any harm and it doesn't look like a lot of dust would make it's way in there.
Got a pic? I'd like to see how it was different.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Got a pic? I'd like to see how it was different.
Agreed! Need to see some pics. I would also caution not using the boot. Dirt and moisture will accumulate over time in the headlight assembly making it worthless and requiring replacement. Riding in the rain or wet weather will also pose a serious problem with the headlight assembly. Several members have reported water entering the headlight assembly with out the boot.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I got the boot on with the light last night. It was extremely difficult.

After several failed attempts I finally got it in by clipping the base in first, then sticking the light with boot into the base and giving it a quarter turn.

It took a lot of force and I ended up leaving some plastic shavings in the light housing.

The only way I was able to twist it was to grease up the boot pretty good so the cooling fins on the light could spin and not dig in.

I hope this light lasts as long as they claim because I don't want to do that again.

I did take pictures but the stupid hosting site was giving me problems so I'll have to post up later.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Bulb installed with plastic do-hicky

Plastic base taken off. Notice the one piece body with no screws.

Getting to this part wasn't too hard, but getting the metal clip over the assembly in this fashion seems impossible, at least without taking off all of the plastics, and who wants to do that? NOT ME!

This is what I'm working with. Not ideal. Especially with my big sausage fingers.

Eventually I had to clip in the plastic base then try to screw this assembly into the plastic base. It was VERY hard to do. Putting grease on the boot where it contacts the metal parts helped just enough, otherwise there's too much resistance trying to turn it.

I would recommend zip tying the ballast to the rail as shown.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well if the weather would work here a little better I'd install this thing!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I got the boot on with the light last night. It was extremely difficult.

After several failed attempts I finally got it in by clipping the base in first, then sticking the light with boot into the base and giving it a quarter turn.

It took a lot of force and I ended up leaving some plastic shavings in the light housing.

The only way I was able to twist it was to grease up the boot pretty good so the cooling fins on the light could spin and not dig in.

I hope this light lasts as long as they claim because I don't want to do that again.

I did take pictures but the stupid hosting site was giving me problems so I'll have to post up later.
My bulb came from Amazon yesterday. Looks just like this one with the black polymer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My bulb came from Amazon yesterday. Looks just like this one with the black polymer.
Good luck. It's easy without the boot but a real bugger with it.

I had to wear a leather glove to get enough twisting force without the metal digging into my hands.

It seems like the better way is to either cut the rubber boot or cut a new notch into the polymer base.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
So I am replacing my current LED with my OPT7, as I just took it out of the Burgman 650 being I am going to sell it and wont up the value.

In the Burg you leave it and it works, but looking at this if not mistaken:

I want to make sure the LED lights are facing the same way as your top picture? IE: Left of right not top and bottom?
Mine are left and right, it works fine this way.
(FYI I ordered direct from Opt-7, to avoid any chances of a third party having some fun at my expense.)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts