CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
My CTX is tucked away in nice climate-controlled winter storage, and I'm enjoying the winter on Hilton Head Island, SC. ;) See you in April.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine is sitting in an unheated shed on the battery tender and waiting quietly for the snow and sub-freezing temperatures to end. It's been a full week since I last rode. Since I came back to riding in 2012 I have only missed riding in one calendar month (January 2014 I think). On more than one occasion that has meant shoveling a path from the shed to the street. It was worth it of course.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I used mine right up till giving it to the shop for 8K maint - I may try to do 16K myself in a few years. No garage, have to schedule Spring-ish or Fall-ish.
Between snows, rumors of snows, and the 10 lbs. limit arguments, the only two days viable to bring it back from the dealer in the past three weeks just happened to be on their "weekends" when they were closed.

(10 lbs: Dr. set a strangely low carry limit "until my checkup" this Friday, Wife's afraid it takes more lifting than that to operate / wait for lights / PLUS if I drop the bike I'll be stranded so she wants our son to bring it back, which adds another schedule availability hurdle. I suppose if my bullheaded self would add the weight of boots, gloves, sweaters, chaps, jacket, helmet, etc. I'd have to admit I'm lifting that much, but I seriously doubt it will kill me. )

Between scraping the van window, van not warm when I get there (2.5 mile commute), controls not designed to work with ski gloves, parking spot 1 to 5 minutes farther away than the MC slots subjecting me to more cold - I want my CTX-700 back!

·
Super Moderator
3,240 Posts
Yesterday our high was in the mid-70's (a perfect Winter day around here!) so I had the house wide open until well after dark. I got new lock parts for my Mutazu hard bags and got them installed which then necessitated a 10 minute test ride (while Karen was out at Walgreens)! Actually made a big difference making them more quiet when going over the rare rough patches I encounter around here.

This afternoon, I plan on trying to finish the re-wiring on my Model-A oogah horn installation. After two defective Chinese horn harnesses, I made my own fused setup connected directly to the battery all by itself. Works great on my workbench, here's hoping I don't screw it up on the install.
:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had my first experience on two wheels meets ice. NOT recommended 🤣 Aside from that one brown pants moment heated gloves and grips mean I'm commuting daily as long as the skies are clear.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Sits patiently under the carport, on a tender, under her cover. Me? Not so patient. Little snow here this year, but the streets sloppy. We've had a mild winter. Other than a couple of days of 30 below. But the streets aren't remotely good for riding. Hopefully we get an early spring. Last year didn't really warm up to ride until almost mid may. And then it got cold in early October. So not a good riding year in 2018.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Me and the wife decided to take them out after Church, after a few quick maintenance checks and adjustments we left (in too big of a hurry) and I dropped mine at the stop sign at the end of our street. It happened very quick, I think I must have tried to ease through the sign, was not in low gear and tried to lean to low, the front tire buckled all the way to the right and down it went, I was able remain standing, or actually I ran off of it.
I was not upset, I shed my gloves, turned the key to ''off'' and righted the bike. A few marred areas on the back of the mirror, the Puig windshield, brake pedal, mini floorboard and tailpipe. None of the areas are bad, I'll check, adjust, smooth and dab a little paint as time goes by. I can quit worrying about ''perfect'' now, maybe riding will be a little more enjoyable. I got back on and we stayed out about and hour and a half, the ride was great.
Gary

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Bike is in the shed and just topped up battery on tender. We had over a meter of snow in January, and today we had ice pellets, then freezing rain at about 10 F. Tomorrow it get up to 40 and we get rain for a few hours then it freezes again. Tuesday and Wednesday I plan to ski and catch up on so paper purging and reports and start planning some trips. considering Newfoundland, but likely not this year. Cabot Trail with a return through Maine NH and Vermont is one trip and riding Superior is another. Wiarton Willie and the other EarthPigs have made their predictions: regardless, over 2 months before the street sweepers get the sand and salt off the road after the snow melts. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Logged 700 miles in january, up until 24 hours ago roads were clear. Now it's -7C, strong winds and snow all over.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Had a great ride yesterday into Boulder, Co and a bit into the mountains. Everything was perfect until the wind kicked in. A large windscreen on a light bike does not do well against side winds. Had a LOT of issues trying to ride in straight line. It gets a bit unnerving for the bike to change lane position onw it's own.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My bike is high, dry, and warm until spring. January has been extremely cold here with lots of snow. Warmed up now for a couple of days and raining out as I type. Pulled all the plastics off and installed new air filter, doing the Gonzo suspension upgrade. Just waiting for my washers to arrive. I will check the valves for the second time. Bike is a 14 so maybe should put a new battery in but it still works fine. Maybe wait as it is easy and quick to do if it starts to die.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Moved to the Delaware shore where the temps are just moderate enough (compared to NY) where I can get out on the bike in winter more than I had been able to. Today we were up near 60 degrees and if it is over 55 I make sure to get out and get the bike off the tender and running the roads for a good hour. Makes me, and the bike happy! Now, if only there were some twistys and hills here…

Reactions: Mdaniels4

·
Registered
118 Posts
Commuting ~10 miles per day x4 days, pleasure riding as able on the weekends. Installed a Ram Mount (stem mount) for my phone / music system / GPS log and sharing (for spouse's peace of mind as I'm a new rider and commute in the dark mostly). Lovin' this CTX!

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
If I had an enduro bike i'd still be out riding in the snow.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Were getting a break from winter in central NC this week.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts