CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CTX700 (2014 with taller windshield and saddlebags) in November and unbelievably the weather has been too cold for riding until yesterday. I got my license several years ago and my former bike was a Honda Silverwing. I was really bad at making turns on my SW and it made me afraid to ride it. Yesterday was my first trip out on my CTX 700 and I am in love. This bike feels like it was made for me. I have never ridden out by myself before so that was a first! The ride was smooth, I handled the new braking system (diff from the SW) and turned the bike with ease. I loved having the engine between my legs ;) ...seems like that might have been part of my discomfort on the scooter...feel so much more balanced on this motorcycle! I am beyond thrilled to have this new bike and can't wait for the adventures to come! Anxious to hear about everyone else's experiences. Oh and I am a 57 year old grandmother! Never had driven any motorcycle or scooter until I took the Motorcycle Safety course! Hubby has a brand new 2013 Yamaha FJR1300! We are ready to hit the roads!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Wonderful post! This Grandpa of 68 fully agrees: the big scoots are not dainty. My Kymco Xciting 500 Ri was ungainly compared to my svelte and more powerful CTX. I love it, too. Enjoy, Grannie.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Vjamison, welcome to the forum and congrats on your very own new CTX. Not sure when you started riding or how many miles you put on your Silverwing after your course but that was a good thing to do for sure.

With any new bike, there is a learning curve so go easy till you are very comfortable with it. Get some parking lot time to learn slow maneuvering and stopping. You should do fine and it should never make you afraid of it.

Happy riding with you Hubby.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome to the forum (from North Texas). And enjoy the ride, we get to ride a bit more often that other parts of the country. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and welcome!!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome from another former Silverwing owner. Congrats on the new bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just read an article posted on Yahoo from the LA Times, it was about a scientific study funded by HD that found that woman who ride motorcycles are happier than woman that don't.

Riding = happy grandmother; congratulations!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome. I'm 49 and a male. A Piaggio BV350 scooter was my first ride. Took the safety course and started riding it in Spring of 2013 for a long, highway work commute. So I didn't start till age 48, which is probably a good thing, since I'm much less of a risk taker these days.

I traded for the CTX only because I thought it to be the closest thing to the perfect ride. Even better than the scooter, which was really, really good already for my needs. The CTX is even better! You're going to love it.

You've got lots of company on this forum as a former scooter rider. Lots and lots of Burgman and Silverwing riders on this forum. Some still own their scoot.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Welcome from another scooter rider!

I still have a Silverwing and enjoy them both.

Looking forward to reading some trip reports from you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad that you love your new ride! The CTX is my first motorcycle, but it has spurred a new lifestyle with my beautiful bride. She has her own bike now too. :)

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Just a suggestion on the turns.

Go to a parking lot and do figure eights until you can get the handlebars going lock to lock. Then move to where the parking lot slopes and repeat.

This bike is easier at slow speeds than all my previous scooters.

·
Registered
842 Posts
This bike is easier at slow speeds than all my previous scooters.
ABSOLUTELY. My Kymco Xciting 500 Ri was an ungainly bike in tight turns. I can move my NDT around any parking lot at the slowest speeds, even a walk, with my wife riding pillion. Love this bike.

Ride Often, Ride Safe
f

1 - 13 of 13 Posts