CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone. I am new here and have never ridden before. I was raised around bikes all my life and never had the opportunity to actually ride.

I came across this bike as someone suggested an automatic to help start out. I looked at ridley but I know they aren't making new ones, although I do like their classic look.

This seems to be a nice fit but not sure if I can fit on the bike. I am 6'2" at 250lbs I read that it can be cramped for taller riders.

I would also like to know how is the passenger ride as well, as I would eventually want to put a passenger on my bike.

I guess a big question is, where does one start from square one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you are looking for a CTX700D, the fairing may cause some issues with your legs. The only way to know is to test ride and check your riding position. That being said, if you go with out a fairing and choose the CTX700ND, I think the leg issue wont be a problem for you.

2UP is good from the reports of others here on the forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are looking for a CTX700D, the fairing may cause some issues with your legs. The only way to know is to test ride and check your riding position. That being said, if you go with out a fairing and choose the CTX700ND, I think the leg issue wont be a problem for you.

2UP is good from the reports of others here on the forum.
Would you have pics to provide the difference between the two?

·
Banned
463 Posts
Kryimsson,
The maximum load capacity of the CTX700 is 391 pounds.
If you are 250 then the max your passenger could be is 140 pounds.
You also must take into consideration all your gear and whatever else you carry on a bike. It all counts. Overloading could cause tire problems. The performance would be reduced also.
With your size and the desire to carry a passenger I think there are other bikes that would be more suitable.
I am 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam.
My knees butt up against the fairing so that is another consideration.

If you have never ridden before I suggest you take a Motorcycle Safety class to start.
Roam around motorcycle dealers and sit on the seats to see what fits. Depending on your capabilities you may have to ride a while before you can carry a passenger.
There are a lot of choices out there.
Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kryimsson,
The maximum load capacity of the CTX700 is 391 pounds.
If you are 250 then the max your passenger could be is 140 pounds.
You also must take into consideration all your gear and whatever else you carry on a bike. It all counts. Overloading could cause tire problems. The performance would be reduced also.
With your size and the desire to carry a passenger I think there are other bikes that would be more suitable.
I am 5'10" with a 33 inch inseam.
My knees butt up against the fairing so that is another consideration.

If you have never ridden before I suggest you take a Motorcycle Safety class to start.
Roam around motorcycle dealers and sit on the seats to see what fits. Depending on your capabilities you may have to ride a while before you can carry a passenger.
There are a lot of choices out there.
Good luck.
True, I do believe there are probably bigger bikes that are a bit more suitable but not a lot of them are automatics. Its the automatic that got me to be interested.

·
Banned
463 Posts
True, I do believe there are probably bigger bikes that are a bit more suitable but not a lot of them are automatics. Its the automatic that got me to be interested.
Bah, humbug!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you click on the gallery link at the top of the screen you can see members bikes, there are a mix of both fairing and Naked models. I have a manual clutch fairing bike. If I remember correctly, Kerstins bike is fairing automatic. The madstad pics show the naked with the windshield on it.

Vulcans bike is heavily modded with a rack to carry his walker...

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
If you never ridden before, never buy new! Get a cheap used bike to learn on. Then when you have some experience built up, then upgrade. Learning how to actually ride is quick and easy. The world on 2 wheels is what you need to learn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you never ridden before, never buy new! Get a cheap used bike to learn on. Then when you have some experience built up, then upgrade. Learning how to actually ride is quick and easy. The world on 2 wheels is what you need to learn.
but isnt this bike targeted for novice/beginner riders?

·
Banned
463 Posts
Well, it is. And if you can balance a bicycle you can probably ride this, especially with the DCT configuration.
I think Rebel13's point is that it's not improbable that you may drop the bike a time or two.
Lot easier to do it with a used, cheaper bike than with a new one.
I still think taking a riding class, learning how to shift, even if you want to be shiftless, is a good thing to do.
Usually, the bikes used in the classes are 250s. Easy to ride and give you a feeling for a bike and a little confidence before you go out on the street.
The CTX does not have any kind of so-called crash bars available yet.
If you drop it you wind up with a lot of scratched, damaged plastic. Usually broken mirrors, Maybe broken footpegs and bent handlebars.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Really should take the course. Many states now require it to get your license anyways. You should check with your state licensing agency first. The DCT version is an excellent 1st bike for anyone. Yes, you do run the risk of dropping it but that goes for anything out there. Your size will need to be taken into consideration. The CTX is a medium sized bike. Im 6'0 and about 200 lbs and do just fine. I also ride with a passenger and have no problems but the bike is just about maxed out There's no way to tell if the CTX is the right bike for you without getting on one. My experience would probably say no due to your size. Something bigger would probably suit your needs much better in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The possibility of dropping it is there, but not mainly that reason. The world is, weather, terrian, animals, bad judment, other drivers, etc.... I have seen so many people quit riding for fear alone, not fear of riding, but from everything else! You will have close calls all the time on two wheels!

It is logical to buy a cheap used bike for a starter. You can easily find a cheap good bike for $500-3,000 with 500-1500+ cc's. Not saying you will, but if you happen to wreck, you will only be out $500-3,000 vs $7,000+ Also used bike parts are much cheaper then new if you drop or for any other incident.

For a starter, this is what I recommend. Get a cheap good used bike for a year+/- depending on individual. Ride as often and everywhere as you can in that time, don't even waste money on any mods. Get all the experience you can get and when you feel confident enuff riding, then you can upgrade, modify or whatever you want to do.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Sound advice but finding something mechanically sound in that price range is incredibly tough here in Texas and a novice rider has no idea what to look for when buying a used bike. I like the idea of CTX700DCT as a first bike and the initial expense is relatively cheap for the amount of bike you get. Cant get much easier than selecting "D" and go. Its well balanced, comfortable and no it wont do 100mph in 4 seconds. It is also well lit. What it does do is provide a nice smooth ride, handles well and brakes as well as any bike I've ever owned. The ABS has kept me from laying mine down on two separate occasions. Plus, the CTX is a bike you can hang on to for many years to come instead of going through the hassle of selling it after becoming acquainted with riding. Nothing will keep other drivers from trying to turn you into a pinball. Education is key. Learn to ride safely, always be aware of your surroundings and never take anything for granted. After awhile, it will become second nature. If not, at least learn to fall!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Really should take the course. Many states now require it to get your license anyways. You should check with your state licensing agency first. The DCT version is an excellent 1st bike for anyone. Yes, you do run the risk of dropping it but that goes for anything out there. Your size will need to be taken into consideration. The CTX is a medium sized bike. Im 6'0 and about 200 lbs and do just fine. I also ride with a passenger and have no problems but the bike is just about maxed out There's no way to tell if the CTX is the right bike for you without getting on one. My experience would probably say no due to your size. Something bigger would probably suit your needs much better in the long run.
Soon to be 700 DCT rider. Would strongly suggest the safety class as it teaches want to do under expected and unexpected riding conditions. A must for safety especially for a new rider! Do yourself and everyone who cares about you a favor and take it. Time very well spent.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
explore your area for riding courses. start used, start around 250-500cc and work up. At your size and weight maybe a taller dual sport 650. You can beat them up pretty good and they keep running. If you are not mechanically inclined, learn some basics. Do not ride double till you have logged at least 5000 miles. Ride in empty parking lots or grassy fields and back roads to practice. Keep your speed down and keep off the front brake with more than 1 finger for awhile. Loosing traction on the front wheel (locking it up) will take you down quickly. You have lots to learn to stay alive. Don't get in a hurry. IMHO

Reactions: vulcan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh I thoroughly agree about riding courses. I truly believe that would be my first start to riding. I was more or less trying to eye up something simple to start on, in the automatic variety. Has anyone ever ridden a ridley?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Oh I thoroughly agree about riding courses. I truly believe that would be my first start to riding. I was more or less trying to eye up something simple to start on, in the automatic variety. Has anyone ever ridden a ridley?

Never even heard of a Ridley so looked it up. Looks like a older classic Harley but with a CVT transmission and different engine. Reviews says it pretty much runs out of steam at 70-80. About the same weight but about 10k dollars more than a CTX. . It is unique. If you got lots of money buy it if you like it. Not sure where you will get service and parts.

Why not buy a clean used Honda Rebel with low miles, take the courses, figure out how to shift and clutch and once you master that go and try a bigger one like the CTX or CTX1300. You wont loose much money on the rebel. IMHO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts