CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an used F15 windshield I bount used (ebay for 65.00). I had it on my Hawk GT. I kept it when I sold the bike. So now fast forward to CTX.

I needed 4 mounting spots.
I removed the screw just up from the turn signal and went to the Ace hard ware. Got a 4 inch threaded rod to match the treads. 8 nuts to fit it and 2 clamps and a few washers for good measure. At home I cut the rod in half with my dremmel tool. I screwed it in the headlight and tightened a washer and nut. I then put another nut on it as a spacer to keep the bracket from hitting the plastic. Next I put the rubber covered 1 inch clamps on the handle bars. I took a 1/2 flat bar and cut up and bent some brackets guessing along the way what it needed. Nothing is painted but prototypes and I got to 90 Percent done in 3 hours.

took it out for a quick test, did not notice any buffeting of my helmet and got to 70 in one spurt. A longer freeway test will come shortly. once I am happy with things I will tiddy up the brackets with some paint and dress up the bolts.

I took some pictures. The side view show the angle that is close to the fork angle. The front pictures shows how it rests just around the instrument shield but not on it. there are some mount pictures too.

ws side.JPG
ws front.JPG
ws stud.JPG
ws clamp.JPG

Reactions: Kfrill

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update: I rode the CTX 50 freeway miles today with windshield. Most speed was between 67 and 75. I think I got really close to ideal setup for me. Lots quieter than without as far as wind noise goes. I sure like sitting up and not fighting wind. My vision is right above the top of the windshield which is desired. I can feel the wind slightly hitting the top of my helmet. I am 5'8" so sit fairly low in the seat. Brackets could be slightly longer if one wanted to raise it an inch. Too high and stonger support would be needed. My setup could be made stronger by putting a brace on each side between the two braces I have now. The windshield does mover around (flexes) some as it is a pretty big sail at 70+ Mph.

I cleaned up the brackets and mounting hardware tonight and will leave it on for a week to see if anything comes up as a negative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the instructions and windshield referral. I just picked up my ctx700n tonight and had to ride it on the highway for 45mi home, and the lack of a windshield takes a toll after a while. First time I ever rode a naked bike. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Madstad Windshield Available now

After extensive work to overcome the wind characteristics of the CTX, Madstad Engineering has come out with an after-market windshield that performs well with the CTX naked model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After extensive work to overcome the wind characteristics of the CTX, Madstad Engineering has come out with an after-market windshield that performs well with the CTX naked model.
Looked at the prototype pics on the website, hopefully that massive mounting plate gets minimized in the final product. My bike NEEDS a screen like this for highway commuting!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Windshields look nice but....
question: The bracket wing between the 4 bolts and the tank are there for what reason?

May a big and little bracket would see which one is more popular.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I may have an answer for why "The bracket wing between the 4 bolts and the tank are there". I just mounted a National Cycle F15 windshield to my CTX. It looks like something a 6th grader installed (I installed mine very different than shown here on the forum), but it's solid as a rock up and over 85mph. There is one slight problem though - when I finally got to test ride the bike after the installation (been raining like crazy here every day for over a week), I noticed I had serious problems with helmet buffeting at any speed over about 50mph. During my test ride, I noticed an large amount of wind coming from the area between the handlebar mount assembly and the tank. It seemed to be very focused into a stream around 3 to 4 inches wide, and felt like it was aiming upward toward my chest and neck area to the bottom of my helmet (a full-face Arai Vector 2). I think they may have put that wing there to deflect the wind flow I noticed on my test ride. Any thoughts from others? Bill, have you noticed any helmet buffeting with your windshield installation?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, mine has been great. I was going to remove it but when I rode my new toy VF740C I realized it was doing a good job keeping the wind off of me. I am 5'8" and wear a HJC clamshell helmet. I have noticed some buffeting with my loose Harley helmet.

mine is very close to the black crown over the front of the instrument panel. Maybe 3/8 of an inch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting indeed! I noticed early on that your windshield is mounted much higher than I mounted mine. I am only about 5'6", so I mounted mine nearer the bottom of the painted trim-piece on the headlight cover. I'm thinking in doing this, I have probably choked off the airflow under the windshield that companies like Madstad recommend you have to promote smooth airflow up and around the windshield, thereby lessening or eliminating the dreaded helmet buffeting scenario. Hopefully this weekend I will have time to raise it, but unfortunately I will have to do much more metal work to get this done (I tend to waayyy over-engineer things...). I think I will try to get my installation more in alignment with what you have done and rake the screen back farther to offset for the low height that I need to see over it. I will report my findings so that others who might be interested may benefit, because IMHO, the NC F15 just looks great on this bike.

·
Registered
338 Posts
windshield for the naked model

Adamsbliss is correct - I spoke to Madstad today, and was told the reason for that massive plate behind the windshield is due to massive wind turbulence coming from below the handlebars. I was told the final product will have that plate made from an acrylic/poly/etc material, so it would be less noticeable. I was also told the windshield will be adjustable in height and in angle… and it should be available within a week or so (maybe Aug. 26th?). I know after riding on the NYS Thruway at 65-70mph, I NEEED a windshield for that kind of riding. I plan to look into this once available (hey, they give you a 90 day trial period, supposedly a full refund minus postage if you do not like it).

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Madstad is trying to get it right I think and offer a good finished product at a market price (not cheap price). The final product and users will tell if they got it right. Someone on this forum (sorry didn't remember who) ordered one and got the wrong model so question, is it the newness of our CTX models or poor sales/customer service? Mistakes happen but riders (and most people) are easily frustrated when orders are not right. Their return policy seems very good.

There is some kind of equation that states the more you want something the greater likelihood you will not get it when you want it. Many times I have been ready to buy with cash in hand and items are advertised all over the place only to place an order and find out they cant ship for 2 weeks because it is new. Well our bikes and any accessories fall under the NEW category.

I have the advantage of time since I already have the F15 mounted but might upgrade if the product is really good somewhere down the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts