CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a do-over of my original thread on this subject called "Installing Inexpensive Mid-position Foot Pegs" posted in July 2017. I putting this do-over one out because the several pictures that I posted then were stripped out by a forum software screw up awhile ago. Absent those pictures, it is may be kind of hard for some folks to follow. Okay, here goes.....

Since my CTX is now a trike, I persisted in researching a solution to the very common desire to have pegs in the traditional mid-position of the bike. What I finally settled on was an aftermarket passenger peg intended for several of the Kawasaki bikes. You'll find them on eBay any day of the week, just search for "Emgo Foot Rest Set Kawasaki 54-05414" and a number of them will pop up. Since they are all identical coming from the same source, pick the one with the best delivered price.

This is one of those "easy peasy" projects that even the most mechanically challenged among us will be able to do easily & inexpensively. The totality of the effort only involves drilling and tapping four holes. I drilled & tapped with the side covers in place continuing into the frame itself, therefore 2 holes for the covers and 2 into the frame. The drilling is fairly easy since even though you are drilling into the frame itself and two aluminum covers, you are just reaming out an 8mm to be a 12mm. I recommend getting a brand new 27/64ths drill and a 12x1.25mm tap to do the job. Be careful when doing the tap so as to not brake the tap, that will remove this project from the "easy peasy" category! To prevent that from happening, I used steady pressure with frequent back outs (to clean off the teeth) and I spray vinegar (WD40 works too) in the hole to lube the teeth to cut much better. Actually I used the lube when drilling as well. To answer your obivous question, I learned the vinegar trick from an grizzled old school machinist. Works surprisingly well, even better than some salad dressing!

These pegs are just big enough and fold back better when not in use as to be perfect for my trike. You see, not having a mid-position peg on the CTX when triked is not an option for me, especially with my $950 seat & backrests in place. It is a must have on two counts, (1) the passenger will use it to clear the rider's back rest when getting seated. And (2) the rider himself, (especially when it is me, with the titanium metal knees) has to have a two step mounting procedure, especially to swing the defective leg over the rider's back rest when mounting.

Once I installed both sides I was quite happy with the results, at least from the standpoint of giving me the mid-position peg I'll need for mounting the trike the way I want. That alone was worth the $20.00 & 20 minutes to install.

When I took it out for a test ride to see how the new pegs would work as another place to put one's feet on long rides and they are perfect for me in that regard alone. Most of the ladies and the guys like me with 30" inseams will avail themselves for that alternate position quite readily. The taller among us, perhaps less so. Even so for them, the pegs will help when crossing RR tracks and washer board dirt roads.

As far as the pegs getting in the way of backing up, even in their full down position they are not in the way of one's legs when backing up. So that's a real plus for me, that's for sure. And if they are in the way for you, just flip them up & out of the way.

As shown in the last photo below, you will have to open up a hole in the bottom cover to allow access to the peg. Or if you are nice and lazy, leave the cover off altogether the right side doesn't have one to begin with. So really, be my guest, nobody will notice.

And finally, in case you are wondering about the strength of that installation, I buy my gear in petite huge sizes (@255lbs) and I have full confidence in those pegs. Remember you have a 12mm shaft installed right into your frame.

Okay visual junkies, following is the complete set of annotated pictures previously lost by the forum software debacle mentioned above....:D

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thanks for reposting this Bob.

Reactions: Ruby and BobWitte

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Hey Bob,

I remember looking at this idea, but I decided I couldn’t do it... I can’t remember why.... Can you mount them if you had a factory stock silencer?

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Bob,

I remember looking at this idea, but I decided I couldn’t do it... I can’t remember why.... Can you mount them if you had a factory stock silencer?
It isn't the muffler itself as much as the leading edge muffler cover (part#18342-MJF-A01) that's in the way. Mine is all different now, so I can't be sure of the positioning. Pull your cover off and compare what you see to the pictures I posted above. If the area is clear, then you can put in the pegs and it would be time to do a high heat black paint job on the muffler to finish the look sans the muffler cover.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Bob,
I am confused.
You state that one has to drill 4 holes.
I only see the 8mm hole having to be drilled out on each side.
That is a total of 2?
Where are the 2 other places to be drilled?

Doug

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bob,
I am confused.
You state that one has to drill 4 holes.
I only see the 8mm hole having to be drilled out on each side.
That is a total of 2?
Where are the 2 other places to be drilled?

Doug
Guess I blew it, but I thought I was pretty clear on this when I said: "The totality of the effort only involves drilling and tapping four holes. I drilled & tapped with the side covers in place continuing into the frame itself, therefore 2 holes for the covers and 2 into the frame."

As stated, I drilled & tapped them in place which was of course, just 2 "events," but the covers are in fact, separate from the frame, and they covers could be drill pressed just as easily. Clearly then, one would see the 4 holes drilled. So again, 2 covers were drilled (regardless as to how) and the 8mm holes in the frames on each side were done also, ergo, 4 holes in all.
:)

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
When considering this mod, one needs to take into consideration the fact that 1. Your not in control of your bike when in use and its a long, haphazard reach if you need to shift or rear brake. 2. Its an ankle buster if you get hung up under it or between it and the Kury floorboards. Ground clearance is much lower than on a normal mid position bike so dragging your boot toe can be a problem. 3. There's not much leg room to start with. Short legged people or those with the Corbin tall seat may do okay but I wouldn't recommend it for tall people or with the OEM seat. 4. It only works with the Radiant exhaust.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was also thinking about adding foot pegs, but after the risers, Utopia backrest and the floorboards I can ride all day and not miss the pegs. First bike I can truly say that I don't need cruising pegs. I had found that I needed to move my legs around on my other bikes but good on this one.
David

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When considering this mod, one needs to take into consideration the fact that 1. Your not in control of your bike when in use and its a long, haphazard reach if you need to shift or rear brake. 2. Its an ankle buster if you get hung up under it or between it and the Kury floorboards. Ground clearance is much lower than on a normal mid position bike so dragging your boot toe can be a problem. 3. There's not much leg room to start with. Short legged people or those with the Corbin tall seat may do okay but I wouldn't recommend it for tall people or with the OEM seat. 4. It only works with the Radiant exhaust.
Your concerns are worth noting, but shouldn't be a deal braker. I've had these pegs for over two years and I don't use my mid-pegs in traffice (and like most, I seldom use my rear brake). There a full 12" between the pegs & the large Kury boards and my pegs are 10" off the ground, so only those with gigunta size 18+ boots need be especially concerned. Even the long legged folks will get some positional relief with the mid-pegs since they move one's knees down & back when in use. And yes, the stock muffler cover (and perhaps not the muffler itself) prevents their use as I discussed in Post #4 above in this thread. BTW, the Coffman exhaust would work just fine as well.

Consider John's points in your decision. But, I've use these mid-pegs both before and after my trike conversion and the more I use them, the more I like them. YRMV.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your concerns are worth noting, but shouldn't be a deal braker. I've had these pegs for over two years and I don't use my mid-pegs in traffice (and like most, I seldom use my rear brake). There a full 12" between the pegs & the large Kury boards and my pegs are 10" off the ground, so only those with gigunta size 18+ boots need be especially concerned. Even the long legged folks will get some positional relief with the mid-pegs since they move one's knees down & back when in use. And yes, the stock muffler cover (and perhaps not the muffler itself) prevents their use as I discussed in Post #4 above in this thread. BTW, the Coffman exhaust would work just fine as well.

Consider John's points in your decision. But, I've use these mid-pegs both before and after my trike conversion and the more I use them, the more I like them. YRMV.
Saw this on another forum. Used your ideal, but maybe some sort of off set on the muffler side.
David

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,080 Posts
Saw this on another forum. Used your idea, but maybe some sort of off set on the muffler side.
David
That's apparently an L-bracket arrangement. My first attempt used such a passenger bracket left over from my GL500i SilverWing. That how-to is posted in my trike thread near the beginning. But I was replacing the muffler anyway with the trike's version and felt the 12mm attachment right into the frame would work better with my petite huge 250# heft.

That might work for some who want to retain the muffler cover. They are attached using two holes in each bracket, so there's more drilling involved. The parts you want will be easier to find if you search for a CX500/650 as well since the passenger pegs are the same.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
When I went across the country on my CBR, I used the passenger pegs for leg and butt relief (very little of either btw.... worst touring bike ever......).
I’ve got a bit of a ride today, I might try that for a while....
Just curious Bob, how long can you ride mid peg with your bum knee? ....and.... if you were to do the mod again, would you make any changes?

Reactions: Ruby and david1954

·
Registered
817 Posts
I just can't convince myself to drill larger holes in the frame.
I was told years ago by an engineer that any time you drill holes you are weakening the metal.
The more holes you put in,the weaker the metal gets.
I am not smarter than an engineer.:)

Doug

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just can't convince myself to drill larger holes in the frame.
I was told years ago by an engineer that any time you drill holes you are weakening the metal.
The more holes you put in,the weaker the metal gets.
I am not smarter than an engineer.:)

Doug
Don't do it then Doug. But for the record, going from 8mm to 12mm doesn't scare me at all. Certainly not compared with the benefit I got. BTW, if everybody felt as you do, there wouldn't be any choppers, bobbers or customs.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I went across the country on my CBR, I used the passenger pegs for leg and butt relief (very little of either btw.... worst touring bike ever......).
I’ve got a bit of a ride today, I might try that for a while....
Just curious Bob, how long can you ride mid peg with your bum knee? ....and.... if you were to do the mod again, would you make any changes?
I only use them to mount/dismount and for short periods when cruising. Because of my titanium knees, it helps to have several different leg positions. Any do-over (and non scheduled) might involve trying out the small Kury footboards instead of pegs.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is a do-over of my original thread on this subject called "Installing Inexpensive Mid-position Foot Pegs" posted in July 2017. I putting this do-over one out because the several pictures that I posted then were stripped out by a forum software screw up awhile ago. Absent those pictures, it is may be kind of hard for some folks to follow. Okay, here goes.....

Since my CTX is now a trike, I persisted in researching a solution to the very common desire to have pegs in the traditional mid-position of the bike. What I finally settled on was an aftermarket passenger peg intended for several of the Kawasaki bikes. You'll find them on eBay any day of the week, just search for "Emgo Foot Rest Set Kawasaki 54-05414" and a number of them will pop up. Since they are all identical coming from the same source, pick the one with the best delivered price.

This is one of those "easy peasy" projects that even the most mechanically challenged among us will be able to do easily & inexpensively. The totality of the effort only involves drilling and tapping four holes. I drilled & tapped with the side covers in place continuing into the frame itself, therefore 2 holes for the covers and 2 into the frame. The drilling is fairly easy since even though you are drilling into the frame itself and two aluminum covers, you are just reaming out an 8mm to be a 12mm. I recommend getting a brand new 27/64ths drill and a 12x1.25mm tap to do the job. Be careful when doing the tap so as to not brake the tap, that will remove this project from the "easy peasy" category! To prevent that from happening, I used steady pressure with frequent back outs (to clean off the teeth) and I spray vinegar (WD40 works too) in the hole to lube the teeth to cut much better. Actually I used the lube when drilling as well. To answer your obivous question, I learned the vinegar trick from an grizzled old school machinist. Works surprisingly well, even better than some salad dressing!

These pegs are just big enough and fold back better when not in use as to be perfect for my trike. You see, not having a mid-position peg on the CTX when triked is not an option for me, especially with my $950 seat & backrests in place. It is a must have on two counts, (1) the passenger will use it to clear the rider's back rest when getting seated. And (2) the rider himself, (especially when it is me, with the titanium metal knees) has to have a two step mounting procedure, especially to swing the defective leg over the rider's back rest when mounting.

Once I installed both sides I was quite happy with the results, at least from the standpoint of giving me the mid-position peg I'll need for mounting the trike the way I want. That alone was worth the $20.00 & 20 minutes to install.

When I took it out for a test ride to see how the new pegs would work as another place to put one's feet on long rides and they are perfect for me in that regard alone. Most of the ladies and the guys like me with 30" inseams will avail themselves for that alternate position quite readily. The taller among us, perhaps less so. Even so for them, the pegs will help when crossing RR tracks and washer board dirt roads.

As far as the pegs getting in the way of backing up, even in their full down position they are not in the way of one's legs when backing up. So that's a real plus for me, that's for sure. And if they are in the way for you, just flip them up & out of the way.

As shown in the last photo below, you will have to open up a hole in the bottom cover to allow access to the peg. Or if you are nice and lazy, leave the cover off altogether the right side doesn't have one to begin with. So really, be my guest, nobody will notice.

And finally, in case you are wondering about the strength of that installation, I buy my gear in petite huge sizes (@255lbs) and I have full confidence in those pegs. Remember you have a 12mm shaft installed right into your frame.

Okay visual junkies, following is the complete set of annotated pictures previously lost by the forum software debacle mentioned above....:D
Thanks for posting...question Bob....how did you turn your CTX into a trike?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for posting...question Bob....how did you turn your CTX into a trike?
That story takes up some 530 something posts starting in December 2015 and still ongoing. Click on the "Trike Build" thread link in my signature below and add yourself to the almost 69,000 views that have taken place. Enjoy!

·
Registered
239 Posts

Thanks Bob for re-posting this ....I just took a 900 mile trip and I definitely need to be able to move my feet around...should I also consider the Kury 4357 floorboards?...Thanks again to everyone for all the input.

·
Registered
545 Posts
+1 on the floorboards!

Reactions: Ruby and jfc77320
1 - 20 of 34 Posts