CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished re-adjusting my PARKING BRAKE by loosening the lock nut on the cable adjustment up near the handlebar and backing out the threaded cable adjuster and re-tightening the lock nut. I have a 2017 ctx dct with 16,000 miles and I have done this adjustment about 4x since I bought the bike brand new. My question is ...I seem to running out of thread on the cable adjuster, what do I do the next time I need to tighten the parking brake, which I gotta have as the DCT is always in neutral. Thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ruby,

Minor adjustment is at the handle, major is at the rear wheel. You will likely need to readjust the top after changing the bottom adjust to keep it in proper range between the marks as noted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Freebie!

I just finished re-adjusting my PARKING BRAKE by loosening the lock nut on the cable adjustment up near the handlebar and backing out the threaded cable adjuster and re-tightening the lock nut. I have a 2017 ctx dct with 16,000 miles and I have done this adjustment about 4x since I bought the bike brand new. My question is ...I seem to running out of thread on the cable adjuster, what do I do the next time I need to tighten the parking brake, which I gotta have as the DCT is always in neutral. Thanks in advance for you help.
Here's what we used to use at The Trinity Trike for an emergency brake. We looped a specialty velcro strip around the front brake lever that had loops on one side and hooks on the other that just hung there when not in use. When you wanted to use the brake, you just pulled back the lever and engaged the velcro strip to hold it in place.

I had a whole roll of those that still has several dozen left on it. Anyone who wants one can have it by sending me a PM and I'll give you my mailing address where you can send me a self-addressed, single 1st Class stamped, busines sized envelope and I'll send you back one for free. They worked like a charm.
:nerd:

·
Registered
383 Posts
As it says in TLeventry’s post from the service manual. “If the correct freeplay cannot be gained from the upper adjuster, turn the adjuster all the way in”. By turning the adjuster all the way in to its ultra loose starting position then adjusting the bottom, this should restore the full range of adjustment at the top to make your minor adjustments in the future. I would also check to make sure the pads are in good condition and have pad material left on them. It is possible they may not be retracting or releasing properly and were dragging on the disc. Get the rear wheel off the ground. Put the brake on then release it then spin the wheel and check that the pads are free from the disc. If the caliper is sticking there are some lubricating points on it referenced on page 1-20 and 19-22. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=26#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=476#manual

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ruby,

Minor adjustment is at the handle, major is at the rear wheel. You will likely need to readjust the top after changing the bottom adjust to keep it in proper range between the marks as noted.

Thank you so much for posting this ....it is exactly what I needed....It never occurred to me to check the service manual...thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As it says in TLeventry’s post from the service manual. “If the correct freeplay cannot be gained from the upper adjuster, turn the adjuster all the way in”. By turning the adjuster all the way in to its ultra loose starting position then adjusting the bottom, this should restore the full range of adjustment at the top to make your minor adjustments in the future. I would also check to make sure the pads are in good condition and have pad material left on them. It is possible they may not be retracting or releasing properly and were dragging on the disc. Get the rear wheel off the ground. Put the brake on then release it then spin the wheel and check that the pads are free from the disc. If the caliper is sticking there are some lubricating points on it referenced on page 1-20 and 19-22. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=26#manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=476#manual
Thanks I will definitely check that out...good tip....thanks for taking the time to reply....appreciate it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's what we used to use at The Trinity Trike for an emergency brake. We looped a specialty velcro strip around the front brake lever that had loops on one side and hooks on the other that just hung there when not in use. When you wanted to use the brake, you just pulled back the lever and engaged the velcro strip to hold it in place.

I had a whole roll of those that still has several dozen left on it. Anyone who wants one can have it by sending me a PM and I'll give you my mailing address where you can send me a self-addressed, single 1st Class stamped, busines sized envelope and I'll send you back one for free. They worked like a charm.
:nerd:
Thanks Bob for the idea...sounds good for a back up plan...I'm definitely interested...I have your email. Thanks again for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Thanks Bob for the idea...sounds good for a back up plan...I'm definitely interested...I have your email. Thanks again for the help.
Whoops!! I spoke a bit too soon. I know that I have those velcro strips, I just can't find them yet. I just spent my maximum allocation of 30 minutes looking for lost items and came up empty handed.

Rather waste any more time, I've reordered another roll, so after it arrives tomorrow, I'll have more than enough to send each requestor 2 strips rather than the chinzy single one I offered yesterday. There's one for your brake handle, and one to replace the one on your brake handle that someone will steal from you after realizing what a great idea it was to have that available!

However, after a second theft, you are on your own. You should have learned to put the velcro strip in the gas cap are when not in use.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whoops!! I spoke a bit too soon. I know that I have those velcro strips, I just can't find them yet. I just spent my maximum allocation of 30 minutes looking for lost items and came up empty handed.

Rather waste any more time, I've reordered another roll, so after it arrives tomorrow, I'll have more than enough to send each requestor 2 strips rather than the chinzy single one I offered yesterday. There's one for your brake handle, and one to replace the one on your brake handle that someone will steal from you after realizing what a great idea it was to have that available!

However, after a second theft, you are on your own. You should have learned to put the velcro strip in the gas cap are when not in use.
Thanks again Bob, very generous...I'll email you asap

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts

Okay, I'm fully stocked with foot long double velcro strips should anyone care to have a set. I've just mailed out a pair to @Ruby and have two dozen sets left over. Just PM me for my address, then send me a double stamped, self-addressed business sized envelope and I send you a free set of your own.
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts