CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Honda CTX700 has a engine with 670cc parallel two-cylinder engine with throttle-body fuel injection and four valves per cylinder. but the only thing right now is I don't know how much horsepower and torque this twin platform.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Nice picture of the Honda twin engine, I like how they slashed it to show the anatomy of the inner workings.

This 670cc honda engine is actually a little under powered compare to the rest that in the same class and style. The CTX700 Engine has 46hp and delivers it most at 6100 rpm. However, the CTX700 engine reaches its peak torque at 4680 rpm, which makes the bike feel a bit peppier than indicated by its performance numbers. I don't think it's all that bad though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Obviously we are not buying the CTX700 for straight line performance but compared to the other bikes in this class the CTX700 is one of the slower ones in the bunch.

·
Registered
124 Posts
H.P. 51-h.p. @ 6250rpm
Torque 45 - Lbs/ft @ 4750 rpm

The 46 h.p. is the rating at the Rear wheel

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Major Pluses to this engine and it's configuration are a few

Less costly Maintenance, I do my own maintenance, but it is easier for me to do at home on this bike.
1. Only one Throttle body, no need to Sync fuel injection that's money saved in Maintenance, thanks Honda
2. No Shim under Bucket Valves, instead Honda uses screw & Nut configuration Thank You Honda, But they should have used Hydraulic lifters for No adjustment but probably cost more
3. Major friction reduction fuel economy and smooth engine
4. Longer interval 8k Miles, instead of 3k, thank you Honda

In looking at my Honda Service Manual for my NC700X looks like this bike was and is designed right, the engine does not have to be pulled because the lousy engineer put something at the back of the engine, it fails then you Must pull the engine to replace it, I dont see that, with this new engine, Unlike my various Goldwings, stator goes out pull the engine, clutch goes south pull the engine, ignition part pull the engine.

The CTX & NC 700's those items are on either side of the engine/trans and can be pulled while the engine is still in the frame, thanks Honda

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Hondanation

I have had a lot of bikes, completely restored a few of them and have done my own repairs and Maintenance, and have customized a few bikes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Obviously we are not buying the CTX700 for straight line performance but compared to the other bikes in this class the CTX700 is one of the slower ones in the bunch.
So from what I understand is that the CTX700 only has 50Hp give or take. Is that good for riding around the city? This will be my second bike but considering to buy the CTX700 just for cruising on nicer days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Major Pluses to this engine and it's configuration are a few

Less costly Maintenance, I do my own maintenance, but it is easier for me to do at home on this bike.
1. Only one Throttle body, no need to Sync fuel injection that's money saved in Maintenance, thanks Honda
2. No Shim under Bucket Valves, instead Honda uses screw & Nut configuration Thank You Honda, But they should have used Hydraulic lifters for No adjustment but probably cost more
3. Major friction reduction fuel economy and smooth engine
4. Longer interval 8k Miles, instead of 3k, thank you Honda

In looking at my Honda Service Manual for my NC700X looks like this bike was and is designed right, the engine does not have to be pulled because the lousy engineer put something at the back of the engine, it fails then you Must pull the engine to replace it, I dont see that, with this new engine, Unlike my various Goldwings, stator goes out pull the engine, clutch goes south pull the engine, ignition part pull the engine.

The CTX & NC 700's those items are on either side of the engine/trans and can be pulled while the engine is still in the frame, thanks Honda
Guess in the future if anything goes wrong you would be the go to guy for the CTX700 ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Brockie,

The CTX & NC bike were designed as a commuter city bike.

Yes 51 h.p.
But the Engines Torque is the driving force behind the the 700 series bikes

why: because it is higher than most and is developed at a low rpm compared to most all bikes in this size range.

45 ft Lbs of torque @ 4750 rpm

25 ft-lbs at 1500rpm
35 ft-lbs @ 2k rpm
40 ft-lbs @ 2.5k rpm

passing cars with my NC700X is easy and effort less, plenty of power.

When getting away from a stop fast just rev it up a little bit more and she goes

So from what I understand is that the CTX700 only has 50Hp give or take. Is that good for riding around the city? This will be my second bike but considering to buy the CTX700 just for cruising on nicer days.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Brockie,

What bike do you have now?

My statement above should have read,

Torque is higher than Most other bikes at the same RPM range

Torque comes on good at a Low engine RPM

And considering i got 80.37 mpg US that is a Winner to me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts