CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if sales numbers for the CTX are published anywhere? Is Honda having good success so far with the concept represented by this bike?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've not seen any numbers, but the bikes don't sit on the floor very long at the dealers I've visited.

I've only met one other CTX on the road.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I couldn't find anything specific with regards to the CTX line. It looks like that Honda is one of those manufacturers that stay tight lipped on specific model slaes information. They want the competitors to work hard to get it; whereas other manufacturers share freely this type of info.

There was a press release some time back regarding Honda Powersports 2nd quarter sales gains, year-over-year (2nd quarter 2013 versus 2nd quarter 2012) and that's the latest I can find. And basically, they sold 40,000 mc units in North America versus 30,000 the same quarter last year. The writer of the article assumes much of this can be attributed to the release of the CB500 line (3 models), and the Grom 125, but if my memory serves me, the Grom wasn't even available until the 3rd or 4th quarter; the CB500X also wasn't available in the 2nd quarter, and only the CTX N models were available in the 2nd quarter, so I don't agree with that assessment.

My take is that most of these 2nd quarter gains probably represents only that motorcycle sales in general are starting to pull out of the recession, and we won't really know for sure how many units of CTX700s are being sold now or ever. But, as we start to see 3rd and 4th quarter sales figures from Honda Powersports, we will be able to tell how well their new product strategy is working overall versus industry averages for North America. There is another article where an industry study group studied overall MC sales in North America for the 3rd quarter, year-over-year, and that figure was up only .9% (quarterly sales, year-over-year). So, if Honda Powersports continues a 25-33 percent increase in the 3rd quarter similar to the 2nd quarter report (which I can find to be released yet), then one can say that Honda Powersports is trending far better gains than the industry overall and that hopefully the CTX is part of that success.

Motorcycle sales throttle up again in Wisconsin

Honda Marks Growth in Second Quarter 2013 - Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
191 Posts
The dealer I purchased from in Storm Lake Ia, (small communtity) told me that he has sold 10 ctx's since late August. The dealer here in town hasnt sold one. Probably never will either.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Of the 3 dealers I've spoken with, all said the CTX was a poor seller.

Over on adventure rider the bike has been poorly received.

I hope sales are good despite those indicatores. Maybe the 1300 will help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Honda has a habit of selling stuff that doesn't exactly fit a nitch. Sometimes it works well, other times it does not. We all must face the fact that the CTX700 evolved from the dreaded DN01…

Yes, I said it. But if not for the DN01, we wouldn't have our CTX700; and IT DEFINITELY is a fascinating
"Crossover"! Classified as sport bike by insurance companies and a cruiser by owners- we got a unique ride indeed.

One quality we also must cherish: MANY are followers, but we took a style risk with CTX700... for me, I bought the bike for myself and not to impress others. For me, I love my CTX

I am a veteran rider tired of pushing around a 900 pound loaded VTX1800C Bagger- with the CTX I get cruiser riding experience at almost half the weight with twice the fuel economy, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! All I wish for is a bigger gas tank and its PERFECT!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Of the 3 dealers I've spoken with, all said the CTX was a poor seller.

Over on adventure rider the bike has been poorly received.

I hope sales are good despite those indicatores. Maybe the 1300 will help.
Well I can't speak for Adventure Rider since I'm not on that forum or for all dealers, but there are several dealers in my area and when I go in to visit, they all say they sell them as soon as they come in. But I realize that's probably not indicative of every region. If it's not a good seller, I'm sure it won't be around long and Honda will pull it. But like a previous post stated, I bought it b/c I was impressed with it, not to impress anyone else.

Reactions: Jetmech1

·
Registered
975 Posts
Like has been indicated by others, I did not buy to impress, however, it is important to me that the CTX700 do well and stay around only because it really makes ownership easier in a lot of ways: More dealer and non-dealer mechanics are familiar with working on them and have experience working on them when they start putting the wrench on my bike; more accessory options and more readily accessible accessories from competing companies making those accessories more customized just for our bike and cheaper due to the competition; more accessible parts availabilities; etc.

One good thing about it though is that it shares a lot of components with the NC700X, which seems to be doing well. But if you go back to 2011, the NC700X had a lot of negative press as well and still does for that matter. Many questioned Honda's decision to sell this not-so-sporty bike here in the States. Some have stated that even Honda corporate folks debated alot about whether or not to try selling the NC700X in North America.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Honda Pacific Coast was never a big seller yet still lasted about 8 years on the lineup. It drew a very loyal following and spawned a very active yahoo group. I rode one for several years and still have friends from those days as well as great memories of the group rides I attended. It was another style that wasn't mainstream.

You've got to ride your own ride, it's the only way to be really happy.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My sense, reinforced by what I read in this forum, is that this bike appeals, not exclusively mind you, to folks like me who now need a lighter more manageable machine than what I once preferred. I traded in a vstar 950 at around 630 lb for a 700n at around 500 lb. Not a monumental weight reduction but coupled with the lower center of gravity allows me to keep riding despite problem knees. The heavier bike was ok when it was moving, but at rest was becoming a problem. Hopefully, there are enough folks like me together with other enthusiasts to keep the concept going and assure the availability of service etc.
I am personally very happy that Honda has given the concept a whirl.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To Jersey Biker, I say cheers! I owned a PC800 back in 1999, and happily rode it safely beyond Y2K.

To Mandavdle, I hear you on downsizing. The CTX addresses a lot with modern technology edge

Reactions: JerseyBiker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honda has a habit of selling stuff that doesn't exactly fit a nitch. Sometimes it works well, other times it does not. We all must face the fact that the CTX700 evolved from the dreaded DN01…

Yes, I said it. But if not for the DN01, we wouldn't have our CTX700; and IT DEFINITELY is a fascinating
"Crossover"! Classified as sport bike by insurance companies and a cruiser by owners- we got a unique ride indeed.

One quality we also must cherish: MANY are followers, but we took a style risk with CTX700... for me, I bought the bike for myself and not to impress others. For me, I love my CTX

I am a veteran rider tired of pushing around a 900 pound loaded VTX1800C Bagger- with the CTX I get cruiser riding experience at almost half the weight with twice the fuel economy, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION! All I wish for is a bigger gas tank and its PERFECT!
I agree that the DN-01 ("Dino") WAS and STILL IS a unique bike that was presented well before it's time. And as such, was NOT well received by the motorcycle community. I mean, the word "scooter" was associated with the DN-01 and we all know ... you, a grown man, don't want to be seen riding a scooter! Scooters are for OLD people, we all know that! Plus the outrageous "price" placed on the DN-01's head made buying one a no-no! BUT there are people out there, me include, who "like" having
"something different," that find having a bike which is "totally" automatic, well worth the trouble. I will say this, I am glad that there are other 'auto" bikes out there now, it's not so lonely anymore!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sorry in advance to Vulcan--Philosophical Discourse follows. You don't have to read it.

I see the word scooter thrown around alot for motorcycles that may be somewhat scooter looking, or have some components in common with scooters i.e. Honda Integra with it's auto transmission and foot platforms, but from what I can tell these scooter-looking MCs are 100% motorcycle with regards to the method they are propelled and really not any closer to being a scooter than a traditional motorcycle. The Integra, CTX, and NC automatics are nothing like the automatic CVTs on scooters, and the engines aren't mounted on the swing arms and nothing mechanical seems to be in the same place.

As a former scooter owner and a newbie to powered-two wheelers, I don't quite get why there is this hangup on the looks of different bikes and can't understand why there is not general acceptance by riders that there needs to be different types of powered-two wheelers for different folks with different needs, wants and tastes and why those who prefer certain types can't appreciate excellence in engineering and advancements in technology found in other types or classes. I recently looked at the comments regarding the upcoming HD 500/750 bikes, and I can understand genuine negative comments regarding possible real negatives of the bikes, but there were a few comments where folks were calling these smaller Harelys "toys". And I thought, these bikes are for mostly young urbanites that would likely use them for real-world transportation as the main purpose, and many of those making this totally emotionally-driven comment own very large-displacement Harleys used mostly for occasional riding and shining up to show their friends, and rarely use them for transportation, yet these owners of "toys" call those who would buy an MC for a practical purpose, owners of "toys".

This whole phenomena would be like all pickup truck owners going on line and making negative comments regarding every new car that came out only because the manufacturer designed another car instead of another pickup for the market. It would be like they were against the fact that cars exist at all and were trying to keep more of them hitting the market by making negative comments hoping their opinions would resonate with the marketing folks to keep these wimpy cars from becoming available to the consumer. Everyone should be just like them and own a pickup no matter if they live in Manhattan or rural Nebraska, because the looks of these cars give drivers like them a bad name.

It's a very close-minded, emotion-driven culture or set of subcultures from my perspective as a sophomore rider trying to learn about the qualities of different products. There doesn't seem to be alot of practical, logical thinking from consumers in general in this industry, which makes it somewhat hard learning what is the real and what is just unfounded beliefs about bikes, riding gear, and accessories.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My local Indiana dealer has 4 CTX models, all manual trans on floor. No automatics, "we will order if you want one" , he has had the same 4 for a while,

He does seem to be accumulating a larger inventory of Milwaukee iron in all shapes/sizes.
And he is doing more hd service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The local dealer told me that the CTX700ND was his top selling Honda in the store in the month of December. As soon as it comes in, its sold. All the DCT's are on order. He told me that he could not figure it out, he was not expecting it to be a seller and was unsure about brining the bike in. I am I first time rider, and am happy that Honda has this product in their line up.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The local dealer told me that the CTX700ND was his top selling Honda in the store in the month of December. As soon as it comes in, its sold. All the DCT's are on order. He told me that he could not figure it out, he was not expecting it to be a seller and was unsure about brining the bike in. I am I first time rider, and am happy that Honda has this product in their line up.
Strange phenomenon in the MC industry, which I've never even paid a bit of attention to until recently...Hardly any buzz about new products or new technologies related to new products here in the States with respect to the main stream media outlets and very little hard sales and market share data compared to the auto industry and a lot of other industries. This lack of buzz and sales information would make someone who has followed other products in other industries think that the CTX has been a total flop so far, because there is just so little being said about it or about any new bike for that matter, i.e. YZ-09. Therefore, there is just alot of speculation and guessing about how many folks are purchasing a particular ride and how a new model is affecting a company's overall sales and market share. One thing that makes me think that the CTX is not doing too well is the lack of after-market, model-specific choices, and the fact that the CTX700 is not even entered into many online retailers' data bases. There were more after-market choices for my Piaggio brand scooter just a few months after its release than there has been for this particular Honda and Piaggio just barely survives in North America. One reason for the lack of the CTX700's effect on the market could be because it has been released only in select markets globally. I'm not sure of course, but it seems like that if these models were selling like crazy, considering the high price of the OEM accessories, that there would at least be some after-market luggage and windscreen choices beyond what is being offered at this point.

I noticed this hype-lacking phenomenon recently regarding the announcement by HD for their upcoming Street 500 and 750. You can't really get bigger than what is happening here with this announcement and how this may eventually shake up the industry globally. You've got a manufacturer that commands 55% of all street bike new sales in U.S./Canada and is (I think) number three globally that has decided to enter a new market for them currently commanded by Japanese bike makers and a couple of European manufacturers. The 750 bike was shown at the Milan auto show and was stampeded by onlookers according to all accounts and there was lots of excitement about the low-ball pricing announcement that will trump Triumph Bonneville in India by a wide margin. But if you Google Street 750, you get a lot of coverage in the Indian press, but for the American reader, there is basically just a couple of HD press statements reprinted in a few MC media outlets with journalists having very little to say about the significance of HDs new entries. Very little excitement in the whole scheme of things, and to me, that's somewhat surprising and just shows how little attention and passion the industry press has in this country for the things that affect the industry and product offerings.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
I really don't see the implied disconnect concerning the CTX and main stream media. 95% are geared towards sport bikes and lets face it, the CTX just doesn't appeal to their sense of what a true sport bike should be. To most of them, its just a so-so bike that has no appeal to the go fast crowd. Its not exciting enough for them and lets face it, their limited market is based on exciting their readers. They all did their reviews and for them that was enough. The real telling story is what is being mentioned on the forums. The CTX is mentioned every where on all the forums. Most good , some bad. The fact its even being talked about is a sign that its making serious headway. Don't discount the aftermarket just yet. Most aftermarket manufactures are located in Europe and sold here in the states by independent distributers. They produce goods for bikes sold in the European market which bleeds over to bikes also sold here in the US. American aftermarket manufactures are notorious for only producing products for bikes that sell well here in the US over a long period of time. Now that the CTX has hit Europe, expect them to start playing catch up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
the ctx (dct) model has been a good seller here in the pnw.

greg, the reason the piaggio bv350 has more aftermarket goods is because it was a big seller in europe (and launched a year or so before us). the ctx has at this writing ONLY launched in the us.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My sense, reinforced by what I read in this forum, is that this bike appeals, not exclusively mind you, to folks like me who now need a lighter more manageable machine than what I once preferred. I traded in a vstar 950 at around 630 lb for a 700n at around 500 lb. Not a monumental weight reduction but coupled with the lower center of gravity allows me to keep riding despite problem knees.
My sense is that about half of us are riders and former riders, like you say, who have downsized or have kept their larger bikes but wanted a smaller, lighter, lower CG bike for other uses or to take it easier on their bodies.

But nearly as many have up sized. Maybe 35% are scooter and former scooter owners; some of which have owned bikes and some not. I'm not referring to the most common scooters (the 50 cc's) but instead maxi scooter owners, which are 250 cc and up plus a few 150 cc owners as well. Scooter folks are attracted to this bike in general from what I can tell with discussions on scooter forums.

There are a few on here that are spouses of long-time bike owners of the female variety. Of course their are other female members, but we have a few that have found a ride that suits them to go riding with their hubbies.

If we were forced to categorize ourselves, that's how I'd do it. About 80-90 percent of us would fall into one of those general categories from what I can tell from what members have told us about themselves.

I'm one of the maxi scooter folks. I had a 330 cc scooter, which was my first ride.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts