CTX 700 Forum banner

How fast does the DCT transmission shift?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  cobraguy 
#1 ·
I am about to buy my first street bike, have ridden dirtbikes for years. I do like the ABS on the auto model but i would like to know how fast the tranny shifts when you up or down shift? Does it rev match downshifts?

In other words, does it shift slow like an auto trans car in manual mode or more like a bmw style FAST shifting DCT?

#2 ·
It is VERY fast. In auto and sport mode, you feel and hear the clutches work. No slop whatsoever. It downshifts as you slow down, seamlessly. Ditto if braking and then into a curve. You can flick the Up or Down paddles with your left forefinger or thumb at any time, and the shift is right there. In manual mode, it will stay in gear until you flick the paddles.
It IS a DCT.
f

#3 ·
I think it shifts way early, 6th gear at 40. You will hear it clunking between gears.
But it will get up and move if you put it full wide open. It will lug the engine till you drop a gear with the finger paddles-easy peasy.

I like that you can drop a gear when needed, have never used manual shift. Sport gives you about 500 more rpm before it shifts-more and faster to speed.

Not as smooth as a cvt like on the burgman but just as fast

#5 ·
Yes, it does get to 6th early on; I wrote about that awhile back. That is the point of Auto mode: into 6th ASAP to save on gas. Sport mode hangs on to 5th for a good long ways; plenty of power.
CVT are of course smooth: they are just belts and sheaves. A DCT uses gears, so you will hear and feel the shifts. I think that goes without saying.
And as everyone has noted: lightning fast shifts up and down with the paddles.
f

#8 ·
Thumper,

I blew away a pack of Hogs on a run a few weeks back; they were mighty impressed when we all pulled into the park after 1:30 of riding. I routinely "walk a Thunderbird like its standin' still" at any red light race. In Sport mode, this bike will do 0-60 in the mid to high 4 sec range -- that's supercar territory. I had a guy in a Tesla stare at me [maybe it was GLARE at me] just last week: $120,000 vs $9,000. Not bad...

Ride safe, Ride Often
f

#11 ·
i do roll in full manual, now, and outside of the abs, i'm KINDA wondering why i spent the extra $1K since the easy clutch lever action on the shifty version seems to be acceptable to my carpal tunnel. i consider this a great bike, still, but as a nerd, i think the dct needs a bit more adjustment/programmability options.

#12 · (Edited)
I read in one of the many online professional reviews that the DCT is a "learning" transmission, and over time it will adadpt to your riding style...??? IS this true or just some uninformed journalist? Would be cool if it realized that you kept overriding it and manually shifting at a certain point in your ride, then one day shifted on its own!!! Sounds to good to be true.

Quote from review " The latest version of Honda’s paddle-shift automatic DCT transmission works really well too, though, especially since you can override it up or down when desired, and it has a “learning function” that can “adapt the automatic shifting actions to variations in operational patterns over time.” Not that I noticed it doing this, but it does sound cool. "
Link to review
http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2014-honda-ctx700-road-test.htm/

#13 ·
I liked the manual version as well... it was so smooth. Occasionally I wonder if I should have purchased the manual one instead ... but usually only for a short time. And that's because I like the paddle shifting so much (despite the clanking sounds), and the ease of not having to find neutral and do intense shifting in traffic. And I do enjoy the automatic modes on occasion. Really, the dct is like having three bikes... it's just that you wouldn't ride that "D" bike too often. And I like the ABS brakes. But I could certainly see how one could dither back-and-forth on this decision. The thought the manual bike handled like a dream and was a true joy to ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.