CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of different ways I’m seeing. Which is best? I see some use kerosene? Is that the best? I use Honda cleaner and lube. Do you ever use water for a light rinse? Wax? I’m a new rider and want the chain to be cleaned correctly. Also how many miles between cleaning. I know if it’s ridden in rain it should be cleaned immediately. I watched a video on YouTube, not sure it’s the best way and materials to clean with. Lastly do you wipe with a rag? I use a rad but I’m afraid I’m getting thread in chain

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use the Honda cleaner and lube. I hose it off after cleaning, and then let it dry in the sun before I spray on the lube.

Reactions: ctxnewbie

·
Registered
244 Posts
I clean mine with Simple Green using a three sided chain brush, wipe it off with a microfiber towel, then hit it with chain wax. After about 10-15 minutes to dry I take it for a run to work it in. It seems to work just fine. The process is much easier since I put on the center stand. A clean chain is a happy chain.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I use deisel fuel. It is easier to get. Pour it in a spray bottle.It loosens everything up and brush once with chain brush, spray again and wipe with a dry clean cloth. Wax and good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use kerosene....I spray the chain liberally while turning the rear wheel, once spraying it from the rear to get inside the links, and then again from the outside. Once the chain is saturated, I scrub it vigorously with a chain brush once from the outside and again from the inside. I then saturate the chain again with kerosene to spray the dirt and grime away. After that, I take old towels and thoroughly wipe the chain off to remove all the crud. I then let the chain dry for about thirty minutes or so, after which I spray it with Maxima Chain Wax...again from the back to get inside the chain links and again from the outside. I then use a clean rag to gently wipe the chain to remove any excess. As far as frequency, I lube the chain every 500 miles and clean and lube it every 1,000 miles. In addition, I'll also lube it if I get caught in a rainstorm. Hope this helps! 😊

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700N
53 Posts
When the chain is warmed up I use a spray chain cleaner and a three sided chain cleaning brush. Wipe down. Then spray lube.
No big tips here. Just do on a regular basis.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just wipe off the excess crud, spray with lubricant and wipe again. Degreasers will shorten the life of o-ring chains. Kerosene and diesel both have some oil and work on terrible crud but there are other issues like flammability and disposal. However my main lubrication is from an automatic chain oiler.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I never clean mine. Sometimes after a lengthy rain ride I'll put some waterproof grease on an old sock and wipe it down. O ring and X ring chains are sealed units, just like your wheel bearings. You run them until they go bad then replace. It's a 2 minute job.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I never clean mine. Sometimes after a lengthy rain ride I'll put some waterproof grease on an old sock and wipe it down. O ring and X ring chains are sealed units, just like your wheel bearings. You run them until they go bad then replace. It's a 2 minute job.
Don't you find dirt and sand and other grit sticks to the chain if you wipe it down with grease? Obviously you would try to limit the grease, but still, the stuff is super sticky...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Don't you find dirt and sand and other grit sticks to the chain if you wipe it down with grease? Obviously you would try to limit the grease, but still, the stuff is super sticky...
Anything less sticky will just be flung off. Your chain goes really fast at highway speeds. Grease can work it's way down into the seals. Just a thin coat will do or else you'll just decorate the inside of your chain guard. They do get dirty, but there's no way around that. Doesn't hurt anything really.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I cleaned and lube my chain once at the 600 mile mark. After that I installed a Tutoro Automatic chain oiler. Every three weeks or so, I wipe the chain with a red rag that's been dampened with chain oil. About 3 times a year I pop the front sprocket cover off and clean out any accumulated soil or gunk. Three years and over 20,000 miles, and I have plenty of adjustment left, which tells me that there has been little chain wear. When I first got the CTX, I was putting on a lot of miles, and I was worried about being a couple hundred miles from home when the chain maintenance was due. JFC told me about the Tutoro, and shared his experiences with auto oilers in general, so I went that route. Rebel13 also had an auto oiler that he built at home, and it seemed to work fine for him. He posted pics of it, and instructions on how to build one yourself. Some of the other members use the Pro Oiler, and I think there are a couple more auto oilers available, so look around. If you want to do the regular clean and lube, have at it. You'll find no lack of posts on the forum dealing with all the different ways of chain maintenance. It seems like chain maintenance is like brands of oil, tires, or beer... everyone has their own favorite, and some are willing to fight over it. In the end, it doesn't really make that much difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
I cleaned and lube my chain once at the 600 mile mark. After that I installed a Tutoro Automatic chain oiler. Every three weeks or so, I wipe the chain with a red rag that's been dampened with chain oil. About 3 times a year I pop the front sprocket cover off and clean out any accumulated soil or gunk. Three years and over 20,000 miles, and I have plenty of adjustment left, which tells me that there has been little chain wear. When I first got the CTX, I was putting on a lot of miles, and I was worried about being a couple hundred miles from home when the chain maintenance was due. JFC told me about the Tutoro, and shared his experiences with auto oilers in general, so I went that route. Rebel13 also had an auto oiler that he built at home, and it seemed to work fine for him. He posted pics of it, and instructions on how to build one yourself. Some of the other members use the Pro Oiler, and I think there are a couple more auto oilers available, so look around. If you want to do the regular clean and lube, have at it. You'll find no lack of posts on the forum dealing with all the different ways of chain maintenance. It seems like chain maintenance is like brands of oil, tires, or beer... everyone has their own favorite, and some are willing to fight over it. In the end, it doesn't really make that much difference.
....as long as you do something regarding cleaning & lubes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts