CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking - are these sprockets worn, or dangerously worn? Was hoping to swap chaisn before the weekend but the front sprocket looks really bad, like it would chew up a new chain in no time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sadly the service manual doesn't have any specifics. Here is what it says:

SPROCKET INSPECTION
Remove the left crankcase rear cover (page 2-16).
Inspect the drive and driven sprocket teeth for wear or damage, replace if necessary.
Never use a new drive chain on worn sprockets.
Both chain and sprockets must be in good condition, or new replacement chain will wear rapidly.
Check the attaching bolts and nuts on the drive and driven sprockets.
If any are loose, torque them.
TORQUE:
Drive sprocket bolt:
54 N·m (5.5 kgf·m, 40 lbf.ft)
Driven sprocket nut:
108 N·m (11.0 kgf·m, 80 lbf·ft)
Install the left crankcase rear cover (page 2-16).

Steve
Check your Private Messages.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Definitely worn but I would not say dangerously worn yet, just make sure you maintain the proper tension until you replace. I would change all at the same time. I bought my last chain online from SprocketCenter.com and am happy with my purchase. I went with a DID VX3 X’ring chain and ordered an extra rivet type master link just in case. I used a DID KM500R to break the chain and install the new one. Go slow and follow the instructions exactly and take measurements as you go along!! I pressed and riveted the master link plate to tight and deformed the orings the first time around and had to break and redo using the spare master .Too many vodka and Gatorade's.!! There is a spec for how far the pin protrudes through the side plate and the dia of the staked pin when properly expanded explained in the attachment. Also verify the spec’s on what you need to purchase. The DCT and standard shift use different sprockets and lengths of chain.

Drive Chain Slack Replacement - Honda CTX700N/ND Service Manual [Page 89] | ManualsLib

https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-KM500R-Chain-Rivet-Tool/dp/B0040PM2EI

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mybe it's just me but those teeth don't look very worn to me. The tips are in a bit of shadow, but they all seem to be consident height and shape with fairly square ends to them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They look OK to me. There is some wear. Yesterday I actually did some cleaning and inspected the front / rear sockets, suspension links. Your rear sprockets condition looks almost like mine. Your front sprocket though seems to have more wear than mine, but it could just be the picture / lighting fooling me. As a reference my CTX has about 20,600 miles on it. Most of my miles are highway. Hoping for closer to 30,000 miles prior to swapping the chain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bit of a noob here, approx 13K lifetime miles. Those sprockets look more like the "normal" manual pix than the "worn".There is still a significant portion of the flat at the top of the tooth. But I guess if the chain needs to be replaced it probably won't break the bank to replace the sprockets too. I didn't buy a motorcycle with the expectation that it would be inexpensive transportation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
when in doubt, swap 'em out!
Yup. I am leaning toward replacing based on the pic (if it were me). Quick job. I've never seen it, none of my buddies ever said it happened to them, but I've read you can cause catastrophic engine damage when a chain breaks.

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I click on the pic of your front sprocket on a 27 inch computer screen it looks like the chain has worn itself deep into the sprocket and the teeth are pointy from missing metal. Look at the last link touching the bottom of the sprocket and the outline of the link embedded in the sprocket and how thin the shiny metal is around the teeth. Compare that to a picture of a new sprocket. I think once you got a new one in your hand and compare the two you may find your missing some serious meat around the teeth. Attached is what a new one looks like. Notice how thick smooth and uniform the teeth are. Click on the picture and scroll through them especially the one that has it up on edge and compare it to yours.
12-18 NC700X CTX700 NEW Genuine Honda Front 16T Drive Sprocket 23801-MGS-D30 | eBay

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sadly the service manual doesn't have any specifics. Here is what it says:

SPROCKET INSPECTION
Remove the left crankcase rear cover (page 2-16).
Inspect the drive and driven sprocket teeth for wear or damage, replace if necessary.
Never use a new drive chain on worn sprockets.
Both chain and sprockets must be in good condition, or new replacement chain will wear rapidly.
Check the attaching bolts and nuts on the drive and driven sprockets.
If any are loose, torque them.
TORQUE:
Drive sprocket bolt:
54 N·m (5.5 kgf·m, 40 lbf.ft)
Driven sprocket nut:
108 N·m (11.0 kgf·m, 80 lbf·ft)
Install the left crankcase rear cover (page 2-16).

Steve
Check your Private Messages.
The are flat on the top ....so they are okay per photos in owners manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts