CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wolo Mini-but-Loud horn that I'd like to add to the existing horn. The horn circuit, which I believe also includes instrument panel illumination and the tail light, has a 7.5 amp fuse, and the Wolo spec is 2.5 amps, which gives me pause, but I don't want to get into setting up a relay if I can help it. Has anyone successfully added a second horn to the existing horn circuit?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used the Wolo as a second horn on a couple of other bikes, one with a relay and the other with CAN-BUS, and the sound is great, i.e., the two horns in unison get noticed. I want to add the Wolo, not use it in place of the stock beeper.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
If you pop that fuse you best be carrying a spare. It really can be quite dangerous to have it blow at a bad time.

I would strongly recommend biting the bullet and setting up a relay/distribution block now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a Wolo Mini-but-Loud horn that I'd like to add to the existing horn. The horn circuit, which I believe also includes instrument panel illumination and the tail light, has a 7.5 amp fuse, and the Wolo spec is 2.5 amps, which gives me pause, but I don't want to get into setting up a relay if I can help it. Has anyone successfully added a second horn to the existing horn circuit?
i've installed steibel nautilus air horns(same thing as a wolo) onto almost every one of my bikes for years and they always work better with a relay. they draw much more amps than the stock horn circuit will allow, but using the relay also produces MUCH more sound out of the horn. also, no more blown horn fuses just when you most need it. installing the relay and wiring is very simple once you decide where to mount the new horn but it's well worth a little time and work. the new horn WILL get the attention of that cager trying to move over into you.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
i buy a readymade wiring harness, with relay, on amazon for about $25.00. there are many available, i've used a couple of different ones, they all are plug-and play
Got any links?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have never installed one but for $10.00 on Amazon you can’t beat it. Buying all of the components individually and your time assembling the harness I think would be way more $. Look at the pictures on the left of the page to see the wiring diagram. The specs seem pretty solid.
Universal for most grille mount electric blast horns to connect up to two horns / 12V 80A high quality Relay, 30A FUSE, 8 ground ring, 6.3pulg, 16AWG, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Wiring-Harness-Motorcycle-Grille/dp/B082X44ZV1

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Wire gauge is a little suspect imo. I spent more (approx. $40) but overbuilt. I can pretty much add anything quickly and easily now though. You can buy premade setups, but they are ungodly expensive.

If you are planning to add more accessories in the future, now is the time to plan carefully and do it once.

• Helpful
Reactions: Forestgiant

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wire gauge is a little suspect imo. I spent more (approx. $40) but overbuilt. I can pretty much add anything quickly and easily now though. You can buy premade setups, but they are ungodly expensive.

If you are planning to add more accessories in the future, now is the time to plan carefully and do it once.
Just installed the universal relay kit, mounted the relay behind the left front peg between two Fiamm Blasters. Twice as loud. Wifey came out of house to see who was blowing horns in the garage,"that you?" Yeah its just me. "Boy those are loud!!" 👍👍😊

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Just installed the universal relay kit, mounted the relay behind the left front peg between two Fiamm Blasters. Twice as loud. Wifey came out of house to see who was blowing horns in the garage,"that you?" Yeah its just me. "Boy those are loud!!" 👍👍😊
I bought a Fiamm Blaster to replace standard horm on a naked version, but the larger size wouldn't allow it to fit properly. Trying the horn and comparing it with the OEM one indicated both had similar sound level.
Was thinking of looking at some way to mount it and getting some type of relay that would let me mount the two. Can you share details about your relay kit, and how you mounted yours? Fared or naked? thanks, Phil.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Fiamm fits fine. One in stock location, the other just behind the plastic.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

1 - 13 of 13 Posts