1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
975 Posts
Great link! Thanks for the post. Most of it it is over my non-engineering-minded mind, but interesting just the same.

I've not read through it all, but one observation and belief that I have so far with respect to this power train is that this artificial pulse that Honda decided to purposely engineer into this power train does not have the feel to me that they were after of giving it a V-twin-type characteristic. It seems just what it is, and that is, not natural to the character of a well-designed parallel twin. I would have preferred it not have this little rumble and for them to just have left it totally smooth. To me it feels more like a misfiring of the engine rather than the rumble they were after, but this is a very minor complaint I have of an otherwise, fantastically-designed power train.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you - why didn't they just balance the engine and let us sail serenely on? And what's up with the 1950s British 'A'-engine style siamesed intake and exhaust ports, and different cam profiles for each cylinder?? A little weird or very sophisticated - you decide.

But I went on a 50 mile ride yesterday and felt almost no vibration in the handlebars, the seat, or the pegs, so it's all good. I'm liking this thing more and more . . .

Jim

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree Greg. Just making a standard parallel engine would have also lowered costs and price. I think the marketing department interfered too much with engineering when this bike was being designed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts