CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting on the band wagon, Honda has announced their intent to go electric. What is expected and when is not really known. As far as I am concerned, unless they can get the range decent where it is possible to travel properly and not waste half your time charging, it is a no go. The first article is more hype than content, but some indications that Honda may eventually have an electric bike. The second shows more about the patent and intent.

1. https://electrek.co/2021/04/26/honda-announces-four-electric-motorcycles-to-debut-in-next-few-years/

2. https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bikes/honda-cb-electric-preview/

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Engineers have recently cracked the slow-charging problem, so range is the only issue now.

Although I admire Honda's desire to make their bike as "off-the-shelf" as possible, EMs are going to be best when they are redesigned from the ground-up. A simple but powerful motor at the rear hub, removing the need for chains; battery at the low point of the body, giving the whole thing a low center of gravity, with most of the controlling electronics sitting on that; and the rest is design for ergonomics and beauty. Hopefully they can come up with a truly new design aesthetic that doesn't look like an old bike retrofitted with sci-fi parts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Um, no, they have cracked the "can you make a cable that can handle 520 amps" problem. You missed part of the last paragraph in that article.

Unfortunately, you won’t be able to fill up your EV that quickly anytime soon. In addition to Ford and Purdue’s cable—for which a patent is currently pending—new chargers and batteries capable of safely dealing with that much current will need to be developed.

So, they have a cable that can handle a 520 amp load. Yippie, skippie.

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Um, no, they have cracked the "can you make a cable that can handle 520 amps" problem...
Well, I said they cracked the problem... not that they broke it completely open... heh...

Yeah, my bad for not finishing the article, because I know that there have been a lot of battery and charging advances, but no one's put all the pieces together yet, and some of those pieces are gonna be expensive due to the use of exotic materials and tech.

We've got a ways to go, and it probably won't be like the world of ICEs, no matter how badly we want it to be.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As of yet the problem is going nowhere. Most of it has been "cracked" on the theoretical paper side, not on the functional use side. I am not sure if the bikes will be able to use the charging stations that were just paid for with the US move to bankruptcy package ( I don't expect to be ever built). Only autos have been considered and the charging stations require at this point cable compatability as well as charging capacity. I had heard that when the problem for MCs was broached, those in the know said, not a problem. just carry an extension cord in the side packs. Different batteries, different charging systems, different capacity rates and charging loads, this could turn out to be one big disaster. And as we have no MC parking, we could have no MC charging. Did I get this right? The electrical engineers here should be able to expand on the concepts of not destroying a Li battery with different chargers etc.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
On board controllers can protect the batteries from improper charging based on various power supply. The R&D is the hard part to make them compatible (and auto detect/switch) with the various supply systems.

·
Registered
385 Posts
On board controllers can protect the batteries from improper charging based on various power supply. The R&D is the hard part to make them compatible (and auto detect/switch) with the various supply systems.
Well I'm riding a Zero SRS premium for a month now. Charging it properly is less of a problem than the range is (about 100 miles per) It uses a level 2 J1772 connector or a wall outlet (next door to a really good pizzeria) That said I believe Honda wants to go 100% electric by 2035. Will they make an electric DCT? I'm watching and waiting for (my CTX700N to be done with the repair to the DCT that's taking a long time at the dealer service dept).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm riding a Zero SRS premium for a month now. Charging it properly is less of a problem than the range is (about 100 miles per) It uses a level 2 J1772 connector or a wall outlet (next door to a really good pizzeria) That said I believe Honda wants to go 100% electric by 2035. Will they make an electric DCT? I'm watching and waiting for (my CTX700N to be done with the repair to the DCT that's taking a long time at the dealer service dept).
Honda is looking to make a twist and go CVT transmission. Cheaper, easier, and less resistance.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honda had developed an AI bike prototype, self standing and followed you around like a dog. Again never released. All these great developments, but probably not enough interest to make a profit.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Honda had developed an AI bike prototype, self standing and followed you around like a dog.
I'd guess that was a proof-of-concept idea, probably something they'd only add to their highest-end bikes.

UCLA researchers may have made a minor breakthrough in battery tech that could see its way into powering future EVs, including fast recharging high-density batteries.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts