CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know a good internet site to buy Honda brand engine oil and filter for the CTX/NC700 bikes and a good chain lube all in one place?

The closest Honda dealer to me is 85 miles away and most dealers say they can't ship oil. The Honda dealer in my town closed down one year ago. I could buy four qts and filter when I take delivery of the bike, but I'd like to check out other options if there are some out there.

I like to use Motul brand oil, but I was thinking of using Honda brand on the first, 600 mile change before going full synthetic, and I'll have to start lubing the chain only one or two weeks after taking delivery.

I remember a post someone made about using the K&N filter for oil changes. Some kind of advantage with the K&N brand, but I can't remember what it was. I found the K&N filter @ Ebay, but I'm not sure I'm up for the hassle of joining back up on that site. Ebay tends to aggravate me to death via email about confirming my account every few months, and since I don't use them very often, I don't like the hassle plus all the security stuff they make one go through to stay current with them.

Greg

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used ebay many times...cheaper than the dealers.
Ebay is fine if you use it a lot, but I've found that, since I've used it so infrequently that whenever I actually do want to buy something on there my logon is no longer any good, and then I have to go through the set up each time including email cofirmations; the whole paypal rigmarole; security questions and all that stuff. Then after a few months of non use, I start getting emails from them wanting me to update my account for security reasons. At that point, since I don't need it, I don't do it.

My memory may be flawed and maybe it's the Paypal part of Ebay that I continually have trouble with, but, at any rate, it ends up being to much of a hassle to keep it where I can buy things on Ebay and remembering my log on when I go there, because I've not been able to keep my regular log on with them and Paypal like I do everyone else, because of their security layers, and I end up not using them.

I don't run in to the same issues with Amazon or any regular online retailers, and I can just go there and buy stuff, even if it's once a year, and just use a regular credit card.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I remember a post someone made about using the K&N filter for oil changes. Some kind of advantage with the K&N brand, but I can't remember what it was. I found the K&N filter @ Ebay, but I'm not sure I'm up for the hassle of joining back up on that site. Ebay tends to aggravate me to death via email about confirming my account every few months, and since I don't use them very often, I don't like the hassle plus all the security stuff they make one go through to stay current with them.

Greg
It was Billnoroville who posted about the K&N filter. It has a nut on the end that makes it easier to install and remove. Talk to the service and parts dept. at the dealership about what a good substitute oil could be. Just explain your situation.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
without starting an oil war post frenzy I will tell you what I do since there is no Honda shop in my town.

I go to Autozone and get a gallon of Rotella T6 synthetic oil around 20-25dollars. Jaso MA and no additives to ruin the clutch, SAE 5-40wt (10-40 in service manual for warm climates and it is hot here so 5wt never happens) and Fram filter sometimes Walmart has it. Very common model. I found an independent shop that stocked the K&N 204 and got one. I plan to only use them because it has a nut on end to allow for removal and torqueing it down. I may stock up from ebay or just get local.

Please no arguing with my choices as I have been doing my own oil changes for 45 years. I am not saying to use what I use, just stating. I hope others state what they use, not what I am doing wrong in their head.... you just won't believe some of the oil threads on other forums. thank you.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking on the NC700X forum about the oil filters. A few over there use the Honda Civic filter that is cheaper and a little longer giving more filter media area and less chance of clogging. One member actually took the OEM MC and OEM car filter off and compared them side by side, measured the relieve hole and spring tension. Other than the car filter being a little longer, they were identical. In fact, they found that the filters vary more from brand to brand than they do from car version to MC version. In this particular thread, this member noted that the K&N filter had significantly more spring tension than the OEM version. He stated that the K&N may not allow for bypass early enough... Not sure what all this means, but interesting just the same.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
without starting an oil war post frenzy I will tell you what I do since there is no Honda shop in my town.

Please no arguing with my choices as I have been doing my own oil changes for 45 years. I am not saying to use what I use, just stating. I hope others state what they use, not what I am doing wrong in their head.... you just won't believe some of the oil threads on other forums. thank you.
LOL:D

I can tell you've read through these oil threads on other forums and have seen, as I have, how passionate and insane people get over oil brands viscosities, etc. I really like the way you have proceeded with extreme caution giving one possible solution to a problem.

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or, also, Amazon has an NC700X/S/Integra oil change kit that includes oil filter, crush washer, and 4 qts of GN-4 10W40, all OEM for $50.

2012 HONDA NC700X/XD/XA OIL CHANGE KIT : Amazon.com : Automotive

Not sure which route I'll go at this point, but it looks like there are lots of good choices out there once you guys helped me start finding them. I'm not used to all these choices with a Honda product. That's one good reason to go with a more main-stream brand. With a Piaggio scooter, it was tough shopping.

Like Bill, I'm not stating that one choice is any better than another. We all have our preferences.

I'm not sure we've got any oil-crazy folks on here though, so it may be safe discussing oil and filter choices in this crowd.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
give it time, the oil crazyies are out there. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've found that Honda oil filters come with an end cap and nut, that slips on for fitting /removal. So the K&N filter has no advantage in fitting /removal.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I usually buy OEM filters for several oil changes ahead (support for my dealer) but I buy Mobile 1 15W50 Full Synthetic from Walmart as soon as the motor has several thousand miles on it.
Like Bill said, this is what I have done on a bunch of bikes for many years. I know it is car oil, but I like the properties, reviews and how the oil looks when I change it. I have read a million oil threads and I don't care for anything else. I have never had a problem related to the oil or filter I use. In fact, in 14 years, I have only lost an ignition while traveling due to a recall I didn't perform before a long trip. All bikes with high mileage and strong motors.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've found that Honda oil filters come with an end cap and nut, that slips on for fitting /removal. So the K&N filter has no advantage in fitting /removal.
You may know this but you can get the oil filter without the end cap. That cost a little more with the cap. You just have to let them know you don't need it.
I just bought a good Oil wrench that fits most of the filters I have to change and keep it hanging in the garage with the rest of my tools.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You may know this but you can get the oil filter without the end cap. That cost a little more with the cap. You just have to let them know you don't need it.
I just bought a good Oil wrench that fits most of the filters I have to change and keep it hanging in the garage with the rest of my tools.
Or, if we discover that the Honda car filter is not too long for fitting our CTXs, we can save even more and this would be super convenient. I've seen them listed from $3.25 (generic brand) to around $9 (Fram) with hand grip online. Don't know what one would cost at the brick-and-mortar places, but it sure would be convenient with plenty in stock everywhere, since its the same filter for all Honda cars, save the S2000. One could one-stop shop for an oil change on his or her motorcycle at an auto parts store or maybe even Walmart. Not many MC riders have it this good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a case of Honda oil filters, since we have a 2011 Fit and a 2008 CR-V. If I can use the same filter on my CTX700N, I already have the parts, sitting in my workshop. Cool!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I use Castrol 4T in everything two wheeled at my house. Pops uses Valvoline. Honestly though oil is oil just pick a brand and stay with it. Our engines(pistons, rods, valve and head configuration) are basically 1/2 of a Honda Fit engine so the car filter stands to reason.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yeah, and hang on to those oil filter wrenches. Wife got a 2010 Scion XD that has just the element and not the can around it (plastic cap goes back on with the new filter element). Was reading some threads to see what I needed to change the oil. Everyone was freaking out about this 40-something mm, 14 flute special wrench that nobody can find anywhere (dealer wanted some crazy price for the "factory" wrench).

Looked at a filter wrench that I had left over from a 1995 1100 Shadow. Hmmm, fit like a glove. Daughter's Scion XB has a cartridge type filter, fits that too. Looking at the filter on the CTX in the dealer, looks about the same size. I'll bet my Shadow wrench fits that sucker too.

Next time I go to the dealer I need to remember to take that wrench with me and see.....

Take care.

·
Registered
26 Posts
JinPtowns husband (mechanic?) here. I just had to jump in on the oil craziness! I was told to always use " motorcycle oil" regardless of the brand. This is due to the wet clutch ( the clutch plates run through the engine oil in the crank case) if your bike has a "dry" clutch it should be fine using the oil of your preference. Having said all that, in my youth (read poor) I have used automotive oil in my first bike (1982 400 seca!) 11,000 miles with no problems. Since then I've always used syn motorcycle oils. (After break in) I feel the synthetics offer much greater thermal protection. Air cooled and now the modern bikes run very high temps (smog?) so I've always been compfortable paying a few extra bucks for the good stuff. Currently using Mobil 1 full syn in my '12 650 V-strom ($8.00 a quart at autozone!) but I prefer amsoil. Great news about the oil filters! It apears that there is adequate room for a longer auto filter behind the engine covers. That will save me a 45 mile round trip through town and a bunch of money for the filters. Now for my big question! What is everybody using for chain lube? I just ran out of silkolene (just ok but seemed to get dirty fast) bought some maxima but way to thin it completely sprayed the back end of my bike! (Yes I wiped the chain thoroughly) just got some motorex "strong" ?? I'll report back after some more cleaning!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I get my big can of "Champion" chain lube at Walmart. It said it was ok for o-ring chains". I have used it for over 2 years on various bikes.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally decided on Motul 5100, 10W-40; synthetic blend; 1-gallon jug @ Cycle Gear for $41. I mostly decided on this oil, because it was available where I was shopping; I trust the brand; it wasn't super expensive compared to the other pure synthetics around it on the shelves; and it is JASO-MA. I've noticed since then that I could get Motul 300V, pure synthetic for $51 plus shipping from an internet store. I might do that next time; not sure yet. With my previous scooter, I wouldn't hesitate to get the best oil, but with this machine requiring nearly 4 qts for an oil change, I'm a little more price sensitive.

With regards to the oil filter, I'm just going to pick up an automotive Honda filter at an automotive store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts