CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know the 2014 Honda CTX700 comes with 17 inch cast aluminum wheels but what size, brand and model of tire comes with the 2014 CTX700?

What tire would you like the CTX700 to come with?

·
Registered
124 Posts
The CTX700 bike, shares a lot of attributes with the Following bikes including the wheels and tires

1. NC700X
2. NC700S
3. CB500F
4. CBR500

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tires are 17" Metzlers, Z rated tires they have excellent grip.

The wheels actually were designed to provide a more comfortable ride, that Y shape makes the difference.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Tires are 17" Metzlers, Z rated tires they have excellent grip.

The wheels actually were designed to provide a more comfortable ride, that Y shape makes the difference.
After 600 miles, I rate stock tires to be close the Michelin Pilot tires I had on my Hawk GT (even the size is close to the same). Tread pattern about the same too. When I wear out the rear time, I will put on most likely go to Michelin dual compound for long wear.

Not sure about the "Y" shape providing a more comfortable ride. I missed that in the literature or Honda ads. There should be no give in the wheel and only in the tire sidewalls in my mind.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I'll be following these threads when it comes time for me to replace tires. I too am looking for longest tread wear as my second most important factor. The first being acceptable grip in all weather for conservative riding. I'll spend more money to avoid the hassle of replacing the rubber. I want the tires to stick on wet roads and to last forever. If anyone finds tires that will last forever, let me know:)

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
gregsfc; If anyone finds tires that will last forever, let me know:)

Sorry, I haven't found a forever tire, I think that is a tire that comes with a garage queen bike.

Speaking of tires, I was riding on some twisty roads near me tonight about 8pm and enjoying the cool sunset shaded highway when I came around a tight corner at about 60mph and just after getting around it I see this large fist size rock just a few feet away. I grip the bars tight and hit it square on. Bottomed my forks but I kept upright. when I got home I checked the wheel, the left side lip is now bent and the tire shows markings of the rock on both sides of the tread. Tire is not cut. I will get a hammer and block of wood and will bend it back some day soon. Glad I did not find that rock in a corner leaned way over. Fate was kind.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
thanks Black Bird. As you know, now every time I approach my bike I will see a bent rim...lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
How about checking out with those wheel-works guys before you start? They will roll the rim and get it back to perfect for reasonable cost. If they see it's near new, they might even give you a good rate. Worth a chat with them before you try the other method.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Old_Tom, too late, I don't mess around. I already blue taped it to protect the paint, supported it on one side, and tapped it back in place with an oak block and a large hammer. 3-4 wacks and done. Not a big deal. I have done it before. My main concern was a broken or cracked cast spoke. Looked em over pretty good. Looked ok. Rode it today, seems fine. Wheel shops are a good source for these kind of things and some do really great work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Two suggestions to check out for replacement tires.

1. Michelin PR3s. A lot of NT700V owners both in the USA and Europe are swearing by this tire. From comments I've heard, the dual compound of this tire gives good grip and long life. In addition, it has siping that should help it have more grip in wet conditions than the standard tire has. They are a little pricey, but if they last longer, it'll come out about the same.
  2. Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring tire. This one doesn't have the extra siping of the Michelin PR3, but the reviews on Motorcycle-Superstore are extremely positive. Traction is good and tire life seems as good as more expensive tires. Comfort is something the reviewers are commenting on as well. This one is worth a look also, if nothing more than for the price. It seems like you can occasionally get more for your money than the price would indicate.

Chris

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I think a lot of seasoned riders are happy with their brand choice of tires and seldom switch unless convinced by their friends.

New bike owners are always facing the first replacement tire after about 8 to 10k miles so when that day comes, they can let the dealer pick, ask their friends, shop on price only, or see what forum members for their bike have come to like and why. One thing about tires, if you don't like your choice once they are on the bike you can choose a different one in another 8-10K.

I for one, am a rider that has had good feelings on twisty roads with the Michelin tires and never really worried about how long they last as ever riders style will impact mileage anyway. Michelin prices are not too bad if you shop around. I usually order the tires, take my wheels off and have a local shop dismount & mount and balance the new ones (of course with new valve stems). Usually I am money ahead.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is it me, or does the DCT feature seem like I am gonna make this rear tire last like 10,000 plus miles... since we cannot peel out?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm good with the stock tires.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Michelin has a PR4 tire that'll be out in the spring. Traction in wet conditions is supposed to be the best out there.

Chris

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I tend to like Michelin with dual compound and plan to upgrade to them when time comes. Maybe if the PR4 comes out in 2014 there will be plenty of reviews I can read on it. Tire reviews are handy. Good or bad, I take note

I don't think I will need tires till 2015 the way I am racking up the miles. Under 3k and got it in June. Since buying and before I have had 2 bikes that share me.

On a lot of forums, tires are like oil. Many have their own reasons for using a particular brand.

·
Registered
975 Posts
On a lot of forums, tires are like oil. Many have their own reasons for using a particular brand.
Yeah; it's a shame. It's another one of those items that is hard to shop for to get the performance, durability, and value one expects, because, like so may other products (especially with respect to riding gear), there is no clear-cut way to figure out what is good or bad or medium without spending money to find out. Seems like there is no consensus on anything MC related. Very frustrated for a sophomore rider like myself who doesn't know much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So no one should post their experiences? :) I've actually found tires to be one of the things I look for on other forums, even when they don't have the same type of bike I have. The reason why, is that we share the same size of tire. What works for you? What didn't? Then I can try sorting that out for myself based on everyone's comments.

I look at the manufacturer's comments about a tire and dismiss them almost immediately. Why? Because they all give excellent tire life, and outperform every other tire on the market in both dry and wet conditions. That can't be so; they can't all be the best.

So then I look at the owner reviews. Some I can dismiss immediately. The owner has less than 100 miles on the tire and rates it highly on everything. But then you'll find occasionally where someone has put a couple thousand on the tire and been caught in rain. What do they say? If I start seeing a consensus of opinions on dry and wet performance, that means something to me.

The CTX doesn't have that many owners, nor that many members on this forum compared to others. Many here will be coming up on their first tire change. But the tire size and use isn't much different than you will find on other forums. The NC700X forum has people going through their first tire changes. Their experience can help you make a choice. And the NT700V forum has people going through their 3rd, 4th or 5th tire change. There's a lot of experience there.

I probably won't change tires till next spring or perhaps as late as next summer. But I'm already looking at my options. If I have to replace my tire because I picked up a nail and can't repair it, I want to know what my choices are instead of just taking what the store has on the shelf...because no one else bought it.

I agree. Oil threads are next to useless. But I'd like to know which tires people are finding lasted them more than others, and which ones gave them confidence in cornering.

Chris

1 - 20 of 34 Posts