CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the newbie question but I am more old school and just a rider. Is there any differences with a dual clutch transmission vs a regular transmission? In the articles for the 2013 Honda CTX they keep mentioning the Dual clutch transmission but don't mention too much details. Is there any real benefits for a dual clutch transmission?

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Many can argue about why they like the regular transmission on a bike. But that is because they just don't know enough about the positive and beneficial side of a dual clutch. Honda is one of the few to implement the dual Clutch technology in to their motorcycles. Recognizing how great it did in automobiles, they quickly decided to throw it in their line of Honda motorcycles. And one of them being the new CTX700.

The honda dual clutch gearbox has independent clutches for both even and odd number gears. there is no noticeable clutch grab feel anymore and more accurate and smoother shifting is the end result. But one thing that might be an issue to most is that the shifting is done through two thumb buttons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Another thing you might want to add is that for the new CTX700 dual clutch transmission is that there are a few different modes. When you go in to the "D" the mode goes in to default which is optimized for better fuel economy. And the "S" mode allows you to take full control and rev up higher in each gear for the best power band. however honda still lets you do shifting in a safe manner with its ECU that wont let you over rev the motor and down shift too early.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sounds like the dual clutch has a lot of good things. But don't you guys think it will take the fun out of shifting though, I mean just two buttons. I think the conventional clutch lever and foot shift lever makes you feel more connected to the bike. I can understand how the CTX700 would be a more suitable bike for beginners but with a big displacement though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's my understanding that the DCT will allow to shift with your thumb or you can simply twist and go and let the bike do the shifting. As an older guy and a relatively new rider, this is a great benefit to me. I use my 400cc touring scooter mainly for commuting and the occasional weekend ride. When I'm in traffic I like the fact that I don't have to worry about what gear I'm in. I understand this might not be everyone's cup of tea...but it works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts