CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yeah I have been fighting it since delivery this last Tuesday.

Lets start with the delivery itself. The "how to" part is short and sweet and wont need pictures so I will save that til last. I purchased my CTX 700 from Storm Lake Honda in Storm Lake IA. I like in Sioux Falls, SD about 160 miles north of Storm Lake. SLH took off in the morning driving through light rain and got to SF about 11am. Being courtious, they took the bike through a car wash as it was filthy from the trip. Temps were dropping to the freezing mark and after unloading the bike we found the ignition lock to be frozen. They got it to work before they left however by the time I got home at 6pm it had frozen again.

I tried heating the key, jiggling it around, and using the hair dryer to warm the cylinder but had no success. A few days went by and a few emails back and forth from me to SLH in regards to the situation. They finally suggested that if I couldnt get it to work they would come trailer the bike back down to IA and fix it from there, an expense that I know they did not want to have to do nor did I if at all possible. Since the delivery we have had 7 inches of snow and temps well below 0.:eek: Its fixed now and heres the recipie to do it:

Hair dryer. Not five minutes. Not ten, but twenty minutes straight as it was about 15 degrees in my garage. I felt the steering column and it was warm six inches below the key cylinder. Next, WD-40. One small squirt while holding the lock door open. Use the straw included to inject it down the cylinder. NOTE: Use very little, one quick spray is plenty.

Insert the key and move up and down (take in and out) several times. Now try the lock. Mine let go instantly and is now working perfect.

I have read on line about all the things people have used to free a lock including warm water. I would never put water in the cylinder, especially ignition. Water is the very thing you are fighting in the first place, no need to add more. De Icers are ok, but WD is the best for the tumblers to stay lubed and refrain from freezing again. De Icer uses alcohol but doesnt lube much. When the alcohol evaporates you can be left with more issues if it did not dispurse the water out of the lock. Thanks again to the guys at SLH for all their help. A+ service.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
WD40 is great. it dispels water and lubricates. Not heavy so it finds it's way in to every crack pretty well. It does not last that long but does work well in locks. I just did my front door yesterday (key was sticking)

·
Registered
178 Posts
WD is the way to go, displaces the water and will not short circuit like oil nor attract dirt like oil. Besides, when it warms up the water will dry up. Just do not want it corroding in the meantime.

Never use the power wash near the ignition, lesson learned. If the dealer did it and it it remains an issue, sounds like warranty now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WD is the way to go, displaces the water and will not short circuit like oil nor attract dirt like oil. Besides, when it warms up the water will dry up. Just do not want it corroding in the meantime.

Never use the power wash near the ignition, lesson learned. If the dealer did it and it it remains an issue, sounds like warranty now.
I know they would have fixed it, that's not an issue. You are right, WD 40 is the key to solving the problem. Day 4 now with below zero temps outside and its still working just fine. I don't see it freezing again if it hasn't already.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Cheap, if it's so cold in the garage I think you should put the bike under the Christmas tree inside the house. You could still sit on it and go "vroom, vroom. At least it'll be warm.
I couldn't believe they took the bike thru a car wash.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were just being courteous. I wouldn't have done it but everything is ok now. As far as the tree, my daughter took a red ribbon and tied it in a bow and hooked on the bike so when I came home from work I would see it. Maybe we wont use a tree and use the bike instead this year.

·
Registered
975 Posts
WD40 was a good choice. There is also products specifically for unfreezing frozen locks; probably made of stuff much like WD40.

Water can be used to thaw certain equipment and is the best solution for such things as pumps, water hoses, etc. as long as the temps are not too extreme and the equipment one is thawing is going to be at least partially submerged in the water during use and can be drained afterwards sufficiently so that the refreeze does not bust the equipment. We use 55-58 degree lake water at work often to thaw our pumps and water hoses. But we never use them for our frozen pad locks. We use portable torches for that task, but I wouldn't want to risk a torch that close to my bike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hasn't been above freezing for a little while here either. Just tried the WD-40 trick last weekend--glad to read that I made the right move. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts