CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the local dealer quoted me $1200 to add the saddle bags to a CTX I about fell off the chair. Honda has lost it's mind on accessories. :eek:

·
Registered
329 Posts
buy the Givi 55L with remote opener and extra lights for $450 on ebay, and a universal mount for $80. $550 gets you locking secure REMOVABLE storage with a remote opener! Aftermarket baby!!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Like has been hinted at already, the dealer is wanting to make more than a reasonable profit at your expense. That said, a reasonable profit for the bike + OEM accessories is still a pretty tough pill to swallow for those on a tighter budget with respect to this bike. However, if you stick around the forum and do a few searches and are not real picky about everything being real OEM looking, there are storage options that will put you back up in your chair.

I added a color-matching Bestem top case and strapped it to the passenger's seat for $75 (slightly scratched box including the price for lashing straps). The box retails for about $90 and it 42 liters; lockable and removable and comes with the mount and hardware, and there is a matching model for the CTX red and white (not sure about the black). Givi and Shad cases are about double that price and higher quality but still much cheaper than OEM. There are also soft top boxes available up to 80 liters for less than $140.

If you want to use a rack to set a top box farther back where they are supposed to go, and want to go the top box route, unless you are pretty good at engineering things yourself, Honda OEM is about your only choice at this time and this will set you back about $275 (if I remember correctly). But even this scenario puts you @ about $430 instead of $1200 going OEM and you're set up for over 40 liters of storage. If you can't get a decent price from a dealer on the rack components, there are websites that sell them at the intended MSRP.

If you're set on saddle bags (hard or soft), you can do much, much better with respect to the OEM price and even cheaper than the top box option with decent looks. There are threads on here where members have engineered, aluminum saddle stays; pretty simple; even I could do it using the instructions given on here. The members then bought good-sized saddle bags that do the same thing as the Honda boxes for under $100. You can even find near-matching bags. Hard cases would cost a little more, but I would think that you could pick up a set on ebay that would look good and you could get them cheap. Some are paintable.

As far as windshields, there are options from $200-$300 that really work. The OEM tall screen is also reasonable on price but not acceptable to many members on here, although some have one and like it. If you can't get a good price for the tall screen, again, go online and acquire one. I think there is a used one on sell on this forum for cheap; probably good as new.

The price you'll pay for the bike will vary from market to market, but it's usually good to shop around as I paid $1100 less at one dealership than I would have paid out the door from the other dealers in my area.

I bought the standard CTX700 (faring model) for $7199 + taxes and registration; $600 below MSRP. Got the box for $75, and a Madstad windshield for $270, and I'm set with everything I wanted in a bike and over 70 mpg. So if a good deal is important to you, and you're not super picky, I wouldn't give up yet. This bike can be had at a good value, but you have to be willing to compromise on some stuff and/or shop around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When the local dealer quoted me $1200 to add the saddle bags to a CTX I about fell off the chair. Honda has lost it's mind on accessories. :eek:
Possibly, the Honda dealership may have "mis-quoted" the price or just can't read? $1200 was suppose to $120 .... just throwing that out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts