CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My faired version came with the short windshield. I upgraded to a Puig, 20", touring windscreen and it caused all sorts of buffeting issues and bugs were hitting me in the face. I'm 5' 7". I then added a clip on extension, which did help a lot, but it was too narrow and still allowed a lot of air to pass under and around it. I had a nice, thick piece of polycarbonate type Plexiglas from an old deer blind project left over, so I cut it down to size using a cuttoff disc on my air tool, sanded the edges smooth then drilled three holes in it and also the Puig for attachment. I used three bolts to connect them with both steel and rubber washers and locknuts. It raised the height to about 25" and is slightly wider than the top of the Puig. I've test driven it now several times and it really is nice. My line of sight is above the top of the Puig and right through the extension. No bugs are hitting me any more and the air is very clean with very little noise or turbulence. The wind seems to be going over the top of my helmet by a couple inches when I test it with my hand. I wish I could find a properly sized windshield for the bike, but until then, this mod is probably the best option out there for a safe, and comfortable ride.

Super Moderator
My faired version came with the short windshield. I upgraded to a Puig, 20", touring windscreen and it caused all sorts of buffeting issues and bugs were hitting me in the face. I'm 5' 7". I then added a clip on extension, which did help a lot, but it was too narrow and still allowed a lot of air to pass under and around it. I had a nice, thick piece of polycarbonate type Plexiglas from an old deer blind project left over, so I cut it down to size using a cuttoff disc on my air tool, sanded the edges smooth then drilled three holes in it and also the Puig for attachment. I used three bolts to connect them with both steel and rubber washers and locknuts. It raised the height to about 25" and is slightly wider than the top of the Puig. I've test driven it now several times and it really is nice. My line of sight is above the top of the Puig and right through the extension. No bugs are hitting me any more and the air is very clean with very little noise or turbulence. The wind seems to be going over the top of my helmet by a couple inches when I test it with my hand. I wish I could find a properly sized windshield for the bike, but until then, this mod is probably the best option out there for a safe, and comfortable ride.
Without pictures, nobody is likely to believe you! 馃ぃ

Registered
I just did my first "long" ride on the faired CTX700 and I thought I was going the distance with Mike Tyson punching me on the other end! LoL!
I had experienced the "buffetting" on my shorter rides but didn't quite expect the magnification of it on a "longer" ride.
I'm thinking of trying to drill some holes in the stock windscreen to get more balanced air flow behind the windscreen area (mine is all stock, with low standard screen).
:cautious:

Registered
I'm thinking : shape, heat and form acrylic similar to a Cee Bailey Screen. Most report 24 inch height is sufficient. Just need to find time . There are plenty of "how to build motorcycle windshield"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts