CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally put my Hippohands from my VTX1800C on my CTX700ND, and I gotta tell ya fellas, they REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

I do have the heated grips, but the tops of my hands still got cold in the wind very quickly, even with the hand guards. With the Hippohands, I have been wearing light open fingertip gloves with the heat on low, and my hands are toasty at 32'!

I need to pick up a pair of light full coverage gloves at cyclegear or walmart, to insulate my hands fully on long rides. But the Hippohands are basically an envelope around both grips. With the heated grips going, it's amazing. Of course it's upper 60's to low 70's in the afternoons here in Sacramento now (major drout year), but then I just leave the heat off and ride with no gloves or the open fingertip gloves.

Size is " Medium UC " on Motorcycle Hippo Hands, Handlebar Muffs website, under Honda. These are the same ones from my old 2005 VTX1800, and fit perfect.

Only problem is they are covering the location where my buddy mounted my headlight modulator sensor, so no modulation (which I need to fix because that pulsing headlight makes a big difference commuting on freeway).

They come off real fast, are totally waterproof, and no, you do NOT have to worry about seeing hand controls while riding- you KNOW where everything is, trust yourself ;) . No problems using them without seeing buttons. Might be harder to ride manual only, but I still downshift and upshift (like the 3rd gear holding rpm in Sport mode, we talked about in other thread).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks nice, but I'm much too clumsy for those.

Reactions: twarnett1

·
Registered
975 Posts
Muffs of any kind are just not for me. I tried a cheap set and just didn't like the feeling of my hands being kind of semi-trapped around the grip area. Of course I'm stating this without really giving myself a chance to get used to them. The cheap set I tried didn't do anything much as far as protection, but those Hippo hands look like they would really help alot and good for folks who don't like super-bulky gloves or the huge expense of heating fingers and hands via wiring in or battery power or the limitations of heated grips only for those really cold rides.

I like that you like it, and that it works for you. Anything that helps anyone in our group ride in relative comfort to extend the riding season is a really, really good thing in my book.

I went the very expensive route of lithium ion, battery-powered, heated gloves that cost me north of $200. For $200, one gets a decent pair of winter gloves and four batteries (one on the top of each cuff and one on the bottom); and two chargers to charge all four batteries at once. The cost of the batteries make this a tough proposition in so far as value goes, because that's a big chunk of the cost for the manufacturer. It reminds me of the problem with the concept of electric motorcycles. It's just a hard economic hurdle for manufacturers, because all this talk about how the future would bring down the cost of Li Ion batteries has not yet come to pass. Fully, highway-capable e motorcycles are north of $14K, and what you end up with is equivalent to about a $6,500 bike.

The pair of gloves I got let me ride down to about the mid teens Fahrenheit in relative comfort, but it also means that I've spent $200 for approximately 20-30 commute days per year, because the cuffs are bulkier and the gloves with the heat are inferior to my regular winter gloves. This means when it's 40 degrees or above, I won't even be taking the heated gloves along with me. This has been a good year to justify buying them though; with one arctic blast after another hitting the eastern half of the U.S. and about half of those arctic blasts making it all the way down to Tennessee.

We're in one of those blasts right now as I'm typing. It's 2 degrees on Friday (too cold for me to ride). Will warm up this weekend and then back to single digits on Monday and Tuesday. Of course the folks in the Great Plains and mid-west won't be feeling sorry for us down here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Back in the day I had Hippo Hands on my '76 Gold Wing. They were awesome. I did not have any electric clothes back then. I bought my dad a newer design for his '77 Gold Wing and he discovered that they also worked on his Harley. Hippo Hands rate as one of the top ten inventions in the history of the world. :)

We never had any issues getting our hands trapped inside. It only took a few seconds to put the Hippo Hands on or off the bikes.

I rode the Trophy to work this morning at -1 degree F. I was nice and toasty with the electric clothes sitting behind that huge fairing and windshield. If the roads are not too slick tomorrow morning, I'll ride the CTX700.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hippo Hands

Good Morning All,

Hippo Hands are really amazing, but one caveat I've found in using them (besides having to memorize the location of my hand controls), is the parking brake. It seems the muff on the left side restricts the ability to engage the parking brake lever, though the benefits of the Hippo Hands far outweigh this small disadvantage, and I'll be using them seasonally. Once the daytime temp reaches the low sixties, or so, they'll be packed away until next winter.

-- Patefermente

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just visited the Hippo Hands website and the owner has a notification on the home page that he is retiring and not producing the product anymore. They have enough in stock to last several months but if anyone is interested, you might want to order soon.

The size Ralph recommends is still available.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cycle gear has hand guards that will work perfect on our grips for $19.99 right now. I overspent $100 for the powermad ones. They are sorta cockeyed on my grips, but they work fine. the simpler CG bars would work much easier and cheaper.

Hippohands require structure to protect from collapsing on the front break leaver (and clutch for manual)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are a variety of these on ebay under various titles. You must have some form of handguard to retain the envelope shape. I used a handlebar mounted hand shield, but I will be purchasing a simple set of handguards from cycle gear the next time they go on sale for like $20-$30.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kimpex Visicontrol Muffs

only $64 on ebay right now.

YOU WILL NEED HANDGUARDS TO MAINTAIN ENVELOPE AROUND GRIPS.

these have a window so you can see your hands! that will effect insulation a little, but with gloves on you should still enjoy plenty of protection.

I would recommend these over the original hippohands even, if they work well. But I will keep my hippohands, because I instinctively know what to do without looking, especially since with DCT I don't have to use clutch.

The muff enclosure protects you from direct wind and rain, which makes your gloves only necessary to provide insulation. I have ridden in snow on hwy 395 eastern sierra's, and even without heated grips on my old VTX1800C, my hands were warm enough.

But with my CTX700ND OEM heated grips? I could probably poach an egg on my handlebar grips in an ice storm!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Hippo Hands (Defunct), Bar Muffs, Hand Mits, Guards etc. There are a ton of names and brands to choose from out there. They derived from snowmobiles and have been around for a long time. Most are universal and may require some modification wether it is sewing, adding guards, etc.

On mine, I use Bikemaster hand mitts $35 and lever guards $22. Just needs some minor sewing to create a perfect seal.
My Setup

·
Registered
49 Posts
I picked up some Hippo Hands last winter and can ride comfortably with regular gloves. Eventually, after an hour or so, my hands still get a little cold, but it's just due to the fact that it's only 20 degrees out, not the wind. My regular gloves are unlined elkskin with a pair of light liner gloves, and up to an hour at 20 degrees, I'm toasty.

·
Banned
104 Posts
Thanks for the info. BTW how do you get fuelly as your signature, I tried pasting the http address in my signature box but it doesn't seem to work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I kept trying different combinations with fuelly. It turned out that the small BBCode version worked when pasted into my signature.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts