CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many other CTX owners take their bike out on the highways often?
I've been taking mine out on the interstate quite often after the 600 mile service.

And needless to say I am a little disappointed with how it preforms.
Prior to me taking the CTX onto the highway the top cruising speed I would take was roughly 55-60mph, and the bike handled amazing.

Now lets take the CTX onto I-95 (Speed limit is 70mph here for me) and this is where I start having some issues.

The bike has no problem getting up to speed, I usually stay between 70-75mph to stay with the flow of traffic, but the bike feels like its straining itself even in sixth gear. The ride is smooth but nonetheless the bike feels over worked. I tried passing someone and it took a lot longer then I expected it to take. (I have passed multiple people riding at about 60mph with NO problem, so I figured 70-75 wouldn't be too big of an issue). So I down shift get ready to pass and I hit the darn rev limiter on the bike!:eek:(FYI: It wasn't a open throttle pass either, just trying for a normal pass) Needless to say that spooked me real quick seeing as I haven't hit the rev limiter on it.

So that was a pretty massive strike in my eyes for my CTX.

The bike handles like a dream around town no problems at all there but once I hit the highways (where I intended to use the bike the most) I was pretty disappointed.

My question to all of you CTX owners, have you had this problem at all?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Thanks for the observation and posting your thoughts...

As someone who has not taken delivery at this point, I'm a little surprised, yet not too discouraged.

I had a feeling, considering the way the bike is billed as a bike for the masses, and its low, comparative rev limit; that it may not have had the same responsiveness at higher speeds as similarly-displaced bikes. However, I expected that it would hit this weakness at a little higher speed than what has been observed; maybe 80 or so. If it started losing responsiveness @ 80 or so, then I would think that would be acceptable considering it is not billed as a performance bike. Sort of like what one would expect of a economically-priced, compact car. But if one bought a car with the intent of running with traffic on the highway only to find that it starts winding out at 75, he or she would probably not be happy.

Of course a person's expectation of performance is relative. My diesel car, for instance, can hang with cars with much more horsepower accelerating from 35-70, and it can do this without even straining or requiring downshifting, however, once going beyond 70, it's passing ability starts becoming diminished quickly, and on the few occasions I've had it above 80, it's a long slow process even compared to cars like those econoboxes that we've all seen on the road. Since this weakness in my car has never been an issue for me, I'm figuring that I'll not have an issue with a lack of performance on the upper end of the speed range. But even so, I'm still a little surprised and disappointed by this revelation, because I'm sure many buyers will be expecting to run with traffic on the highway in the real world without observing the engine working its tail off to do so.

Maybe when Honda comes out with this reported 750 cc to replace the current 700, it will be just enough to overcome this short fall; at least up to 80 mph. Of course this is not much consolation for those of us who now own or will soon own a 700 expecting the ability to cruise on the freeway with ease.

What about different sprockets? Would this be a cheap fix? I guess this would reduce the performance for city riding, but one could get a size that would make for a good compromise I would think.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was in no way expecting this to be a high performance bike. what I hadn't considered was what would happen in a 'higher' speed down-shift while looking for acceleration. I would like to hear more about this.

Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Yes I noticed that on the first day :-(. It has acceptable acceleration up to 75, but anything higher and it is pushing the bike. Also at high speeds you tend to get beat up by wind and passing trucks, but if you stay under 75 it is not that big of a problem. Even with the strain, I am still able to get 69+ MPG if I stay between 65 - 73 mph. After 75 mph the MPG's drop to ~60 MPG.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So I down shift get ready to pass and I hit the darn rev limiter on the bike!:eek:
I'm not sure downshifting at this point was the right thing to do. Based on the characteristics of this engine, torque/power fall off way up there near redline anyway. You were probably better off just flooring it in 6th gear if you were already at 70-75 mph. Or did you notice that the bike accelerated notably better when in 5th at that speed?

Regardless, at those speeds, air drag increases so much, that it really takes a more powerful engine to accelerate swiftly. Likely not what this bike was designed for.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure downshifting at this point was the right thing to do. Based on the characteristics of this engine, torque/power fall off way up there near redline anyway. You were probably better off just flooring it in 6th gear if you were already at 70-75 mph. Or did you notice that the bike accelerated notably better when in 5th at that speed?

Regardless, at those speeds, air drag increases so much, that it really takes a more powerful engine to accelerate swiftly. Likely not what this bike was designed for.
I agree. I feel that flooring it in 6th would have been the best thing to do.
I kind of like that it isn't super fast. Makes me ride more conservatively and avoid unnecessary risky pass maneuvers that I've been tempted to try.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
because the engine in not a high rpm engine the torque is more important in my mind.

If you do the math, lets say 75mph in 6th is 4000 rpms.
In 5th gear 75 is about 4800 (800 rmp difference) so therefore at this speed 5th gear gets you closer to the maximum torque which is about 4700. To shift where 6th gear comes in around 4700 you need to wind out 5th gear to only 5500 not 6200. anything past 5500 is not going to produce more pulling power. Practice that the next time on the freeway and see how it feels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts