CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
The reality of the issue is DCT will cost you more at time of purchase and replacement. Anyone whom has had a auto knows this, and those thinking of buying one, need to know.

First off the DCT on this unit works great. I have rode a ton of auto's in search of what I wanted. The amount of shifting is very limited compared to many other units I have rode. The DCT will get to 6 at a reasonable time frame. Many others will go up and down back and forth at cruising speeds of 60-75 mph. The DCT stays at a 6 unless you downshift yourself.

Now that being said, some of us are stuck riding auto for one reason or another, like myself. The question in search is what works, I find the CTX a great buy.

As for the main point, yes you will pay when it comes time to replace. But how cheap these bikes are new or even used and the costs to replace....plus the mpg you save on this bike...it's a no brainer for those wanting or needing the Auto feature.
The difference in price between the manual version CTX and the DCT/ABS version is only $600.00. Most manufacturers charge that amount just for ABS. Its a very small price to pay for the convenience and safety the DCT/ABS offers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
FWIW, a manual clutch NC700 just turned over 100K miles (nc700-forum). When queried about mechanical problems the owner said

The only thing that failed in 100,000 miles was the clutch. At 80K, it just quit working, so now I know that the NC clutch (for me) should be replaced about every 70,000 miles.

Other than that, there was NOTHING that needed fixing or replacement.... (other than regular maint.)

·
Registered
442 Posts
On the BurgmanUSA website, the cost for an owner who replaces the belt on the 650 was around $500-600, if I remember right. Ithink it took them about 12 hours for everything. It was mentioned often to just by a unit from a low mileage wrecked Burgman 650.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
AN650 trans failure

On the BurgmanUSA website, the cost for an owner who replaces the belt on the 650 was around $500-600, if I remember right. Ithink it took them about 12 hours for everything. It was mentioned often to just by a unit from a low mileage wrecked Burgman 650.
My belt (Burgman 650) broke after 127000km of conservative riding. Dealer price for belt was $850 + $1300 fitting but they wouldn't touch it unless I gave them an open cheque in case the belt breaking did other damage. New box was in the order of $4000 plus fitting. The prob in Australia is the dealers can't/don't support what they sell. I bought the 400 Burgman for less than the repair bill on the 650. I love it but it's doing 6500rpm down the highway when the CTX does it at 3100 ono. I'm counting on it lasting longer.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
howdy and yuppers
at my state of decrepidation i expect i can ride this till they bury us both with no particular worries for the life of the engine or clutch/transmission. i recently got a break of a day in the weather and rode till my fingertips froze. i'm wondering whether there are layers of gloves that will keep the fingers from going tingleynumbfrozenhurting or whether a hand guard like on brush bikes is a good answer.

ken

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
21 - 32 of 32 Posts