CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi CTX Members,
My name is Mark (Greyshadow) the CTX caught my eye as it did yours,
I think it's a great idea a hybrid between a cruiser and a sports tourer, ideal. As per my previous post this bike is still 12 months from release in Australia. I have two motorcycles my 2009 Honda VT Shadow C2 and my Kawasaki 500 H1B triple which I purchased in 1976 (this bike is under plastic sheets and blankets for the past 25+ years in my Garage.

I purchased the 750 new in 2009 for my 50th instead of getting my triple back on the road (I simply parked the triple in the garage about 27years ago and did not ride again until 2009. Not being mechanically minded my wife convinced me to buy a new bike and get the dealer to service it etc.
Good idea and it's A Honda (reliable) really like my Shadow.

The CTX is really the first bike apart from the Shadow that has hit accord with me it seems like a great idea, taking the best of a cruiser and sports tourer and creating this hybrid.

Not saying I am going to buy it but certainly very interested in seeing it for sure. Shaft drive would have been better I would have thought.
Thanks for the thoughts and experiences you guys have shared on this site looking forward to checking out more over the next 12 months until I can get to see and ride one.
Best Greyshadow

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Shaft drive would be better for maintenance but worse for efficiency and price point.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome and thanks for posting. You've answered a question some of us had with no answer on another thread. We were wandering if the CTX line was going to be American only. We were hoping not, because we want lots of accessory and mod choices. Except for HD, America is a pretty small PTW market, so the more the better.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Greyshadow, I purchased an H1 500 new and rode it about 11k before selling. I chopped all the weight off and had a full upper and lower faring with hand made seat and tail section. I was the worlds fastest motorcycle at the time. You should take yours out from under the tarps and see how bad the metal is rotted with age. Motors have seals and will dry out too. You might have a valuable bike that needs some simple maintenance to survive storage. Also what fun you could have running it a few hundred miles a month or so. No valves to adjust, no catalytic converter, no computer, and a rocket too.

welcome to the forum. In my mind, I don't see the CTX changing much in the next 2 years minimum. I don't believe the NX700X has changed. Honda should do well with this model but sales have to come for them to keep it. Markets for them outside the USA are getting different bikes and I don't see a change in that. I think they found a good engine design for a lighter and less expensive bike platform and offer a variety of styles in it. Some older models like your VT750 might fade away. The VT series are very reliable bikes, Keep riding it till you put it under a tarp. No law says you have to own just 1 bike.

·
Registered
975 Posts
welcome to the forum. In my mind, I don't see the CTX changing much in the next 2 years minimum. I don't believe the NX700X has changed.
Maybe a slight change coming for 2014. See thread and provided link in Bigger Displacement thread. Honda may increase 670 cc to 720 cc. Don't yet know what this will mean with regards to design, performance or load-bearing capacity. Wouldn't expect much of a design change though, since this is the power train with the DCT, and it would have to fit the current models unless they redesign from the ground up, and I wouldn't expect a whole new design at this point after all the expense and effort they went through to produce this animal just a year and a half ago. But since they are the largest engine manufacturer in the world, they're liable to do anything.

Can they increase displacement this much with simple bore-and-stroke adjustments?

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
depending on cylinder wall thickness there might be room for a bigger bore and a different crank stoke but when these 2 items change then what else needs to be changed to accommodate the added power, clutch, cooling, drive chain, computer mapping, exhaust and input ports to match, and on and on. Honda probably designed all the components not to fail under the power this engine puts out. Honda has recycled some of their better engines in new frames ( 1988 Hawk GT and 2012 NT700V for example). I am sure they have some on the drawing board now. How long it takes to get here... I am not holding my breath. I will take what is here now and when the new more powerful models come, I may trade up and start again. None of this is based on any facts just gut feelings and motor experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree Bill, probably the rumour mill in action. Messing with the stroke is an expensive excercise, and none of the closest bore sizes comes out at 720cc with the existing crank. By the time they get out to 76mm bore, (726cc) they're losing the advantage the longer stroke gives and which you are already noticing even at such low mileage. That low down grunt will only get better. Best way to get bigger displacement will be another cylinder and that may be just around the corner, but it will be a totally different machine for a totally different purpose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Greyshadow, I am new to the site. I studied the CTX700 for weeks. I got a NC700X last August for my B'Day with the anticipation of riding up in Alaska. That trip fell through and I looked for a more comfortable ride. Saw the CTX700 and lusted. They finally hit some stores in FL and I got one. So far so good. Outfitting is a problem early on but Honda and aftermarket will catch up.
I admire you for keeping favorite bikes...wish I had kept my '76 Hondamatic and '81 Honda CX500. Hope to hear more from you...wjohnso1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts