CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forum,
I'm Mike, from San Ramon, California, another happy new CTX 700 rider. This is my first bike, bought it last week, 34 miles on odometer so far :)
I'm very new to motorcycle and have a question to forum.
Does everybody perform maintenance by yourselves or go to dealership.
For example, I bought my bike for commute and I expect to have 4k of miles annually. But according to owner's manual there are several items should be serviced every 600 miles. I thought that's expensive to visit dealership every two months.
I suspect that most part of 600 miles maintenance can be done without dealership. Can anyone recommend a courses for basic maintenance or something like this? How do you learn your maintenance basics for CTX?
Thanks all and hello again :)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hi Mike.

Basically, you've got an initial oil and filter change, which is due at no more than the first 600 miles, but then the oil and filter interval goes to every 8,000 miles. This is very standard for both motorcycles and scooters, because there is a break-in oil and break-in period; it's no big deal. Just get the initial oil/filter So you'll change the oil and filter @ 600; then @ 8,000; then @ 16,000; and so on. The oil/filter change is very basic, easier than most cars, and based on what you have expressed; it'll come about every two years or so, and at the same time (8,000 miles), you'll need to get the valve clearances checked. There is already a thread on here about the oil change. Look in the How-To section. The biggest trouble everyone is having is that Honda really torqued down the oil filter, so, if you do it yourself, have a really good filter wrench handy to get it off.

Every 500 miles, you'll need to clean and lube the chain. This is a regular hassle for owners of chain-driven mcs. You'll need to look for this thread and learn to do this, because it will occur too often and be too expensive to have a dealer do this every couple of weeks. Going back to the initial oil/filter change topic, a person could decide to take the CTX700 to the dealer or a shade-tree mechanic for the 1st oil/filter change, clean and lube of the chain, because there are some other checks at the 600 mile interval, such as engine idle, brakes, clutch, steering checks, but after that initial set of checks, you should be good until about 4,000 miles.

The manual states, if I've documented it correctly, to change the brake fluid @ 4,000 miles, but then not again until 24,000. It also shows a clutch system check @ 4,000 miles.

All-in-all, once you've got past this initial service @ 600 miles or less, and you learn how to do regular chain cleaning and lubing, you're going to find that the maintenance is no big deal on this bike unless something out of the ordinary comes along.

Take a look at your manual and ask specific questions.

·
Registered
309 Posts
What do you use to lube your chain? Any specific brand of lube?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advise, Gregsfc. But I think the problem is a little bit more complicated. According to owner manual there are many items to be checked/inspected at 4k,8k,16k and that's ok. But, here is a complete list of actions for 1000*0.6 (I'm on DCT):
1. Engine oil filter - replace
2. Clutch oil filter - replace
3. Engine idle speed - inspect
4. Drive chain - inspect/lubricate (actually this is every 500m)
5. Brake system - inspect
6. Brake lock operation - inspect
7. Nuts, bolts, fasteners - inspect
8. Steering head bearing - inspect.
3,5,6,7 marked as intermediate difficulty, 8 is recommended to be done by mechanic.
Are all bike riders so mechanically educated to perform all the stuff without a help? Or some of above are not mandatory?

·
Banned
463 Posts
minige,
Other than the engine oil and filter, and probably in the case of the DCT the clutch oil filter, and the chain, most of the other items are never done as a routine inspection.
If you have a problem with a given item you'll fix it or get it fixed.
Same as with a car.
A lot of it depends on the complexity of the bike. If everything is covered up like in a Goldwing it's a lot harder than with a naked bike.
Most bike owners I have known like to do their own maintenance. It allows you to know more about how it works.
If you have read a lot of the inputs from owners on the forum, like cobraguy, they already just about disassembled the bike. Pretty simple to do once you find all the hidden fasteners used by Honda.
I'm sure you will get a lot of different opinions on the forum, depending on the mechanical expertise of the owner, and the age/mileage of the bike.

Oil changes and chain maintenance are easy. Not woth going to a dealer for that.
Most of the other items are "inspected" by using them.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree with Vulcan. I look those other items over and document that I've done it for warranty purposes, but they are not service items; they are simply checks to make sure nothing has come out of adjustment or come loose. Sort of a liability control for Honda. If everything is working as it should, then then those components are fine. Mine is a manual, so I don't have to mess with the clutch for the DCT, but there are threads on here that show how to easily do that DIY.

Any chain-driven bike though, you'll have to learn to clean and lube or you'll have premature chain/sprocket wear. You do not want to pay someone to do this every 500 miles, and you don't want to neglect this item, because you want get the life you could get out of the chain and sprocket, even though they are not very expensive.

And you'll need to get the valve clearance checked every 8K, but this is not required @ the initial service like it is on a lot of bikes without hydraulic lifters, e.g. CB500R, CB500F, CB500X.

If I were you and were overwhelmed by all you're reading, I would take it somewhere at 500 miles. Make sure the place you take it will show you how to do the chain stuff and let you watch the oil and filter changes. They can check all those component checks and show you what those checks are about as well.

It really is not as a big deal as what you're thinking. Oil, filters, chain, and occasional valve clearance checks. Brake pads and fluid and coolant change every once in a while. Tires when they wear. It's not major stuff for the most part and a lot of it is DIY if you want to do it.

This is my second ride. I stressed out too when I bought my first, when I saw all those checks, because I didn't understand that these are just operational items that you're checking. If something is out of tolerance, you'll know it by riding it.

Take Vulcans' advice. Look at the list of rides he owns. He ought to know.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Take Vulcans' advice. Look at the list of rides he owns. He ought to know.
List is of rides I have OWNED. Only have the CTX700 currently.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi there, most of the 1000mile stuff you can yourself. Lots of advice and experience on this site -just ask.

After that one, being a Honda it will not need much work. Check chain and keep it lubed with any good chain lube from the dealer. AND enjoy!

32 bikes and counting, gonna get my age (maybe)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts