CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fuel stations HAVE had problems over the years with contaminates, wrong fuel in the supply tank, water mixed in and sometimes even completely wrong product put in their holding tanks.

I would check local news feeds and local forums for that station in particular. See if anyone else has had contaminated fuel of some sort recently. Stations that have issues (which usually affect dozens of customers) will often pay repair bills, so worth checking into.

My chemistry isn't the greatest, but I would guess the next most likely culprit would be the E85 others have mentioned. Not sure how it would dissolve parts though on two different bikes.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fuel stations HAVE had problems over the years with contaminates, wrong fuel in the supply tank, water mixed in and sometimes even completely wrong product put in their holding tanks.

I would check local news feeds and local forums for that station in particular. See if anyone else has had contaminated fuel of some sort recently. Stations that have issues (which usually affect dozens of customers) will often pay repair bills, so worth checking into.

My chemistry isn't the greatest, but I would guess the next most likely culprit would be the E85 others have mentioned. Not sure how it would dissolve parts though on two different bikes.
If it was E85 (not being used in Phoenix but who knows) then I have read about dissolving parts and warnings for other bikes. Apparently ok for new cars, but does the same for the older ones.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just my opinion but "the gas is literally eating away at the tank, and dissolved parts of the the fuel pump" is total BS.Please let us know what dealer is telling you this so we can avoid them in the future,
I had a chance to look at the parts. A complete disaster. The base of the pump and connectors are corroded, the pump shape is distorted and the tank has started to etch, . It looks like i put in a low level acid and not gas. There is also some sort of debris from the corroded parts. I wonder if someone is pushing E85 in town. Cars won't have much trouble but from what I read, this is a no no for most bikes. Apparently the same thing happened on the Harley so I don't think it is a coincidence.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No ethanol - E0
10% ethanol - E10
15% ethanol - E15
85% ethanol - E85

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Personally I wouldn't even mess with that tank I would get on EBay and see if I could find all the parts. They've got lots of parts on there from low mileage bikes. You might save some$$$$. Hope this helps. I would probably look at new injectors also if its eating the tank it will eat the windings of the injectors. You might also check with your insurance company they might help.

Bryan

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's about right. But I also need to have the tank cleaned and scoured, new washers, bolts etc, injectors tested etc another 300 or so. Fuel lines flushed. This bad gas turned out to be very expensive deal.
One would think that others have the same problem, any chance the fuel seller will help $? If not, small claims court?

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Just looked on EBay found fuel pump for $35 w/shipping, injectors and hose $47 w/shipping, fuel tank $66 w/shipping less than $150 for all parts not to bad.

Bryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Contact the gas station where you bought the gas. Hope you have a receipt or paid with a credit card. Had this happen to my car and the station had to pay for my repairs. New fuel pump and gas gauge plus flushing and refilling the tank with good gas. If the local station does not help either contact the chain or the fuel supplier. Be persistent.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Heads Up

If it was E85 (not being used in Phoenix but who knows) then I have read about dissolving parts and warnings for other bikes. Apparently ok for new cars, but does the same for the older ones.
Disclaimer; "While I may know a little about many things...I do not claim to know a lot about anything". (borrowed);)
E-85 (85% ethanol fuel for vehicles labeled "Flex Fuel"), may well do extensive & rapid damage to a motorcycle.
Most of us have been using E-10 for years, in part, because E-0 is not available to us. The Ethanol Industry is large & powerful (think $; "Growth Energy Co.") and I certainly don't begrudge the farming industry (large or small), from turning a profit (that is a good thing).
However, E-15 & higher (ethanol content) is neither certified by E.P.A. nor approved by manufacturers for use in our motorcycles & even many late model autos.
I support the American Motorcyclist Association's "watchdog" efforts to protect us from any potential threats to our desired means of transportation/recreation, including unnecessary damage to our equipment.
The AMA recently revealed the lifting of an EPA ban on E-15 in summer months, (approved by D.C.), and there is a new promotion of E-15 as "Unleaded 88". This may deceive many into buying fuel based upon octane & price, rather than the higher ethanol content.:eek:
* if you can, check out May/19 AMA magazine's Guest Column (last page) by Luann Ford.:) (not an ethanol story)

* just noted 12 stations selling E-85 in greater Phoenix area, found on afdc.energy.gov/stations, check their locations.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts