CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CTX700D won't start. Cranks, but won't catch. Fine if that was the problem I could fix it. But 1 bike is in neutral so no check there, but the Fuel gauge is bouncing like a yoyo from 0 to full and up and down repeatedly. Can't find anything on this so into the shop. Yes there is gas in the tank.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Huh.... Did it sound like the fuel pump primed?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think So, but the fill gauge is separate. It goes to the shop tomorrow. I guess they will find the problem. Of course it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If you are handy you might want to disconnect the battery and reconnect.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You may want to check voltage of battery while it is disconnected, I think it should read at least 12.5 volts.
A disconnected battery may still read 12.5V or more and still be bad. This is why there are load testers for batteries.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If it cranks but won't start always try some starting fluid first. If it fires then you know you have a fuel delivery problem. I once went to a friends house to help him with his jeep not starting. He didn't have any starting fluid. Bet we worked on it for more than an hour before I noticed his fuel hose was kinked.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Verify that the fuel pump cycles when you first turn the key on. On page 4-7 service manual, troubleshooting “ Engine crank no start” check fuses . Blown main fuse (30 A) . Blown sub fuse 15 A (Fl) . Blown sub fuse 7.5 A (ENG STOP) . Especially check the 15 amp (FI) or fuel injection fuse. On page 22-15 it references the fuel meter blinking and testing the level sensor and fuel meter although I don’t think a bad level sensor would prevent the bike from starting. The level sensor is part of the fuel pump housing so its possible the pump is not getting power to run “fuse or loose connector” or the pump is bad, this would keep the bike from starting. This is just one of many other possibilities.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1299001/Honda-Ctx700n-Nd.html?page=529#manual

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
emergency cut off switch?
Some bike will crank, some will not.
The CTX won't crank if the kill switch is off....made that mistake myself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think So, but the fill gauge is separate. It goes to the shop tomorrow. I guess they will find the problem. Of course it's out of warranty.
Bummer...sorry for your trouble. Confirm w/them that the starter relay solenoid recall was checked, although the symptom is no cranking. Footnote; even a new battery usually needs a slow charge before install. I check voltage right out of the box.
Hope it is something simple & inexpensive.;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here's what they found so far. Talk about bad gas. Both my bikes went out with the same refill. I don't know what was in the pump but the gas is literally eating away at the tank, and dissolved parts of the the fuel pump. So the tank will have to be cleaned and refinished, as well as a new fuel pump so far. As for cost, the Harley was cheaper to fix. 873.00 and counting so far.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Do you fill with ethanol free and this time did not? Highly impossible this damage to have been done with just one tank, the way you describe it, eating away parts. Seems like ethanol gas fill ups worked their way gradually.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds fishy. Make sure you tell them you want to see the damaged parts.

So you are saying that you had two bikes with crank but no start at the same time? Sounds like two tankfuls of water to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So here's what they found so far. Talk about bad gas. Both my bikes went out with the same refill. I don't know what was in the pump but the gas is literally eating away at the tank, and dissolved parts of the the fuel pump. So the tank will have to be cleaned and refinished, as well as a new fuel pump so far. As for cost, the Harley was cheaper to fix. 873.00 and counting so far.
Ethanol gas has been around for many years and all modern vehicles are designed to tolerate it. Literally sounds like total BS to me for so many reasons I don’t know where to start. Don’t trust what these people are telling you, at least to me it makes no sense. I have never heard of a retail gas station selling gas so corrosive that it was dissolving the pump assembly and metal gas tank itself. Everyone that bought gas from where you got it would be complaining because the CTX fuel pump has the same design as many automotive fuel pumps. I have had to use ethanol gas because of all of my man made global warming friends paid to put that into effect. All of my bikes and boats since it came out have not had any problems as long as I ran it out before it could absorb too much moisture. I don't think that the quality of fuel is your problem.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just my opinion but "the gas is literally eating away at the tank, and dissolved parts of the the fuel pump" is total BS.Please let us know what dealer is telling you this so we can avoid them in the future,

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Athena did you by chance get ahold of some E15 gas. I would be contacting the place where you bought your fuel at and talk to them about it. Just my thought.🤔

Bryan

1 - 20 of 32 Posts