CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I had my bike serviced “600 mile tune up” at Honda dealer. It appears to me there is much more slack in the chain than supposed to be (1-1/14). I can’t even get a proper measurement because the slack goes all the way up to axel bar. I think Honda either didn’t check it or did it wrong. I was going to try and adjust it. Problem is axel nuts are on there super tight and I couldn’t budge it with crescent wrench. I didn’t want to damage the nut and I’m not sure how tight to tighten it once I can get it loose (don’t have proper tools yet) . 1st question what size nut is on the axel bar, I want to purchase the correct wrench. 2nd question. What kind of torque wrench do I need and at what setting for proper tightening. 3rd question does the muffler have to come off to get a torque wrench to fit in muffler side? Will try to attach video of chain slack condition.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right side is 27mm, left side 22mm. Check local pawn shops, sometimes they have odd size sockets for a buck or so. Same for a long “cheater” bar for the sockets. You may be able to skip the 22mm as once the 27mm side is loose, it is easier to turn/hold. The torque is 72 F-lb.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Torque wrenches come in various drive sizes, most common would be 3/8” or 1/2” drive. They can be calibrated in inch/pounds or foot/pounds. Ft. Lbs. is the most common and usefull. If you buy one just be sure the sockets have the same drive size. (Or get a set of adapters) Either 3/8” drive or 1/2” drive, calibrated in Ft. Lb., would do the job.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn’t look like I can fit a torque wrench on the muffler side .will I need to remove muffler to get proper torque on the axel but in that side?

·
Registered
'98 Valkyrie Touring
24 Posts
You will need to remove the muffler cover. Two 5mm hex cap screws that hold it onto the muffler. You'll need a shallow 27mm socket to get in between the nut and the muffler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you post a picture showing the slack? The first time I measured I thought there was too much slack and adjust it out; turned out it was the correct amount of slack, I was measuring it wrong in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would call the dealership and report the problem. If they created the problem, they should fix it. I am sure they would rather have the opportunity to fix what they may have caused than have you sharing how careless they may have been.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would call the dealership and report the problem. If they created the problem, they should fix it. I am sure they would rather have the opportunity to fix what they may have caused than have you sharing how careless they may have been.
Thanks, they are picking my bike up Monday to fix. I would like to be able to adjust myself in the future. I just need to know and have the correct tools. Currently trying to figure out which torque wrench to buy and how to get it in the axle but muffler side

·
Registered
87 Posts
I already had a 3/8” drive torque wrench from Lowe’s ($60) and a cheap ($10)
A5D4253A-FE99-4546-876B-94563639A96D.jpeg
vernier caliper which is handy for measuring nut size, chain slack and a hundred other things. I found the Motivx MX2333 oil filter wrench on Amazon for $11. Fits the axle nut easily without removing anything.

Reactions: dgall and BobWitte

·
Registered
87 Posts
It’s pretty hefty.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
As stated, Remove the two hex bolts in the muffler cover, then just pop the cover with your palm and the muffler end cap cover pops off. This will give you plenty of access to use the torque wrench on the nut side of the bolt. As far as adjustment, the service manual says 1.0 - 1.5..

I set mine at 1.0 and then turn the handlebars all the way to the right, bungee them in place using the hole in the front rotor to the right foot peg, then jack the center of the bike up under the rear shock mount just until the rear tire is off the ground 1 mm. I rotate the wheel 3 revolutions, lower the bike, recheck the slack and it comes out to 1.25 which is perfect because it has slack but does not hit the lower rubber stop on the swing arm. This must be done with a floor jack and very carefully. For me it beats buying a $165.00 tire stand. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all. Update .... the dealer picked up the bike from my house(1 hr away).Tightened the chain am replaced a hose clip they broke installing my Centerstand. Wanting to learn how to do this adjustment myself in the future, I bought a digital torque wrench and the socket Arrgh suggested 27 mm. I have a 22mm socket for the other side . Not that it was a must but I purchased the slack setter tool by motion pro. I measure the slack in the middle correct? I’ve watched some videos on adjusting the slack that showed other bikes . I imagine pretty much the same except for bike specs. It would be nice if this site had a dedicated how to video selection. My previous 2015 Dct I found some made by babyblue or something like that. Helped me switch out my original bikes windscreen to a cee Bailey . Sold that bike when I lost my eye. I now have a 2018 that was a surprise Father’s Day gift. Wife got tired of me complaining about missing old bike. Ok I’m rambling. I’m very thankful for the people here that help me. I’m not what you would call a gear head or mechanically inclined . But love the freedom I feel riding.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks all. Update .... the dealer picked up the bike from my house(1 hr away).Tightened the chain am replaced a hose clip they broke installing my Centerstand. Wanting to learn how to do this adjustment myself in the future, I bought a digital torque wrench and the socket Arrgh suggested 27 mm. I have a 22mm socket for the other side . Not that it was a must but I purchased the slack setter tool by motion pro. I measure the slack in the middle correct? I’ve watched some videos on adjusting the slack that showed other bikes . I imagine pretty much the same except for bike specs. It would be nice if this site had a dedicated how to video selection. My previous 2015 Dct I found some made by babyblue or something like that. Helped me switch out my original bikes windscreen to a cee Bailey . Sold that bike when I lost my eye. I now have a 2018 that was a surprise Father’s Day gift. Wife got tired of me complaining about missing old bike. Ok I’m rambling. I’m very thankful for the people here that help me. I’m not what you would call a gear head or mechanically inclined . But love the freedom I feel riding.
You can do all your own maintenance if you want to, but You will have to have a maintenance manual And the proper tools, go to YouTube and ask your questions, good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts