CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice and opinions . . . I don't often ride in the rain, but it happens. When I get caught in the rain, the visor on my helmet is really difficult to see through. I try stopping the water off, but that just smears it around and kind of makes it worse.

What do you guys do to keep your visor clear in the rain?

·
Registered
10 Posts
First thing is on the visor's inside - I have an anti-fog style (Pinlock or such) so at least the inside of the visor stays as clear as possible.

Otherwise, I have a tall windscreen on my bike, so at moderate to higher speeds (25 mph+?), I just stretch my head into an area where there's more airflow and it blows most of the drops right off. At slower speeds, I just lift the visor up halfway so I'm still protected somewhat from the rain, and still can get a clearer view. I'm sure there's got to be things like maybe Rain-x for plastic, or other things that can better handle that, but I've not actually tried those yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing is on the visor's inside - I have an anti-fog style (Pinlock or such) so at least the inside of the visor stays as clear as possible.

Otherwise, I have a tall windscreen on my bike, so at moderate to higher speeds (25 mph+?), I just stretch my head into an area where there's more airflow and it blows most of the drops right off. At slower speeds, I just lift the visor up halfway so I'm still protected somewhat from the rain, and still can get a clearer view. I'm sure there's got to be things like maybe Rain-x for plastic, or other things that can better handle that, but I've not actually tried those yet.
I don't have the windscreen, yet. After buying side cases and a Corbin, the screen has to wait a bit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
You must have something on your visor to make it smeary.
Yes my visor gets wet, but you have to look through the droplets to see where your going.
In your car/truck if you turn the wipers off, check how easy it is to see where your going when it rains.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
695 Posts
On my visor and windshield, I use a spray called No Touch Rain Shield, rated for use on glass, polycarbonate and LEXAN (whatever that is). Rain just slides off with the wind... if it builds up on the visor, I lean forward to get more wind on it over the windshield, and that clears it off.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
52 Posts
i don't ride in the rain myself but back in the day when i used to MX and things got muddy/wet we had tearaways on our goggles. i am not sure if they make something for regular helmets and if they do it may seem bulky.

the anti-fogging agent is certainly key though to help with visibility.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Leaning into the wind is my go to for clearing the visor. Rain X for plastic is excellent. My waterproof gloves have a wiper on the left thumb which works too. There should be a rubber strip on the helmet which should keep the inside drips away from the visor.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
The age old trick I have used for over 50 years is simple. You raise the visor about 1/2 to 2/3rds up. Now the visor is acting like an umbrella and you are looking straight without a screen. I have the faired model, so I position my field of view to be right below the visor and right above the windshield. Most all the rain is either over my helmet, on the visor like an umbrella, or caught in the vortex that the windshield creates with the wind tunnel the combination makes.
I have, in my younger days, ridden 300-400 miles in the rain.
Now that I am 66 years old and a fair weather rider, if it starts to rain, I find a hotel.
Oh, and of course, you reduce your speed accordingly.
Rain is a pain, but you can clearly ride, and ride safely.
Good luck,
Ross and Angela

·
Registered
958 Posts
My method: Find a bandana or a similarly piece of soft & absorbent cloth. Gather the cloth up in the center. Take a piece of string and tie it in a knot around the gathered fabric. Take the ends of the string and tie them in a loop large enough to go around a couple of your fingers (while wearing your gloves, if you ride with gloves).

When it looks like rain, put the loop around your fingers of your left hand, with the bandana in your palm, and ride.

It's a little bulky on the handlebar (which is why you don't want to use very large or very thick piece of fabric), but now you have a cloth handy with which you can wipe your face shield. And you can't drop it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You must have something on your visor to make it smeary.
Yes my visor gets wet, but you have to look through the droplets to see where your going.
In your car/truck if you turn the wipers off, check how easy it is to see where your going when it rains.
I guess I couldn't resist trying to wipe the drops off with my hand, which just made it worse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my visor and windshield, I use a spray called No Touch Rain Shield, rated for use on glass, polycarbonate and LEXAN (whatever that is). Rain just slides off with the wind... if it builds up on the visor, I lean forward to get more wind on it over the windshield, and that clears it off.
It seems like that product isn't available anymore. I'll see if I can find something similar though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
greetings from an o.f.
some gloves have a felt or similar on one finger to use to wipe off dew
ken
Yeah, some kind of squeegee gloves sounds like a good idea
Leaning into the wind is my go to for clearing the visor. Rain X for plastic is excellent. My waterproof gloves have a wiper on the left thumb which works too. There should be a rubber strip on the helmet which should keep the inside drips away from the visor.
Do you know the brand of gloves?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The age old trick I have used for over 50 years is simple. You raise the visor about 1/2 to 2/3rds up. Now the visor is acting like an umbrella and you are looking straight without a screen. I have the faired model, so I position my field of view to be right below the visor and right above the windshield. Most all the rain is either over my helmet, on the visor like an umbrella, or caught in the vortex that the windshield creates with the wind tunnel the combination makes.
I have, in my younger days, ridden 300-400 miles in the rain.
Now that I am 66 years old and a fair weather rider, if it starts to rain, I find a hotel.
Oh, and of course, you reduce your speed accordingly.
Rain is a pain, but you can clearly ride, and ride safely.
Good luck,
Ross and Angela
I try not to ride in the rain, for sure. But last Sunday I got caught about an hour from home when it started to rain.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts