CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back to riding after a break of many years. So many years, that I now wear glasses, whereas when I was younger, I was able to wear contacts.

So I was shocked to discover what a challenge it is to find a full face helmet that I can wear glasses with. After much trial and error, I found a Sedici that my glasses work well with.

My glasses have Transitions lenses. They don't work inside the car, at all. The glass blocks the wavelength of light that causes them to darken. So I was surprised when I was on the bike on a sunny day, and I wasn't bothered by the bright sunlight. When I stopped, I looked at myself in the rear view mirror and I clearly saw that the lenses in my glasses had darkened. Behind my face shield. Total bonus.

You guys may have already known how this works, but it was great news for me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm back to riding after a break of many years. So many years, that I now wear glasses, whereas when I was younger, I was able to wear contacts.

So I was shocked to discover what a challenge it is to find a full face helmet that I can wear glasses with. After much trial and error, I found a Sedici that my glasses work well with.

My glasses have Transitions lenses. They don't work inside the car, at all. The glass blocks the wavelength of light that causes them to darken. So I was surprised when I was on the bike on a sunny day, and I wasn't bothered by the bright sunlight. When I stopped, I looked at myself in the rear view mirror and I clearly saw that the lenses in my glasses had darkened. Behind my face shield. Total bonus.

Anything which blocks UV rays will disable Transition glasses....I have a Bilt helmet which has a UV ray blocking shield, which disabled transition lenses in glasses from working. My former HJC helmet also had UV ray blocking shield....my current Bilt helmet, no UV blocking capability.... I buy modular helmets, I can put on modular helmets without having to remove my glasses...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anything which blocks UV rays will disable Transition glasses....I have a Bilt helmet which has a UV ray blocking shield, which disabled transition lenses in glasses from working. My former HJC helmet also had UV ray blocking shield....my current Bilt helmet, no UV blocking capability.... I buy modular helmets, I can put on modular helmets without having to remove my glasses...
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that the visor didn't block uv rays. This is something I'll definitely consider in future helmet purchases. Didn't know you could put on a modular helmet without removing glasses. So, I'll definitely look at those in the future as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The last two modular helmets I had came with flip down sun visor. I don’t remove my glasses when putting on or off the helmet.
Pierre

·
Registered
333 Posts
When I was looking for a helmet the only one I found that had room for temporal arms was HJC, there was a crease in the padding that allowed me to put on glasses after my helmet was on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I was looking for a helmet the only one I found that had room for temporal arms was HJC, there was a crease in the padding that allowed me to put on glasses after my helmet was on.
Do you remember which model of the HJC?

I'm wearing a Sedici Strada II Forza. There is a gap between pads that I put my glasses arms through, and once they are back ask the way, I push down and they stay put without sliding down my nose. It's kind of a pain to get everything situated but it works. But I'm open to something that works better in the future.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Years ago I thought that Transitions were great.Then I notice when riding the cycle or driving the car.On bright sunny days,when coming to patch shaded places,I could not see into the darkness.There could of been a person or animal there and I would have never seen them.My wife had the same problem.I looked into the mirror and my glasses were dark.So for safety sake we don't buy them anymore.jasperj

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Funny, Transitions actually sell a pair of glasses that start darker than get even darker. They call them, of course, driving glasses. I use them on my bike, but may have to test them them in the car to see if they also are affected by UV, otherwise they may have a marketing problem!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you remember which model of the HJC?

I'm wearing a Sedici Strada II Forza. There is a gap between pads that I put my glasses arms through, and once they are back ask the way, I push down and they stay put without sliding down my nose. It's kind of a pain to get everything situated but it works. But I'm open to something that works better in the future.
My helmet is the modular HJC ISMAX2, I've had it several years, not sure it is currently on the market.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It’s a complicated world. I wear Transitions XTRAActive glasses except when driving, and I keep a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car. As far as I can tell, all Shoei face shields block UV. I got a “light smoke” one and am very happy with it for daytime use. (I no longer ride at night.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Jennifer, I recently bought a new helmet - an HJC i70. That's your basic full face helmet with shield, but what sold me is the internal drop-down sun visor inside the helmet which you can control with a thumb slide on the lower left edge. I've worn glasses most of my riding life, since my early 20's. No problems poking the arms into this one or my previous HJC. I have no experience with transitional lenses however. If I was wearing them and was to go through a tunnel or underpass I think I'd be nervous about the sudden darkness!

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT ABS
15 Posts
I have an HJC i90 modular helmet with a channel for the glasses frames and I have to put my glasses on after putting the helmet on and take them off before removing it. I used to wear a 3/4 helmet that was a bit looser and could put it on/off with my glasses on.

The i90 has the flip down sun visor, but it isn't very dark. I have prescription sunglasses to wear if it's a really bright day.

I found that if your helmet visor has a polarized coating, don't get that on your glasses also. It creates strange artifacts so that you can't see oil spots on the road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jennifer, I recently bought a new helmet - an HJC i70. That's your basic full face helmet with shield, but what sold me is the internal drop-down sun visor inside the helmet which you can control with a thumb slide on the lower left edge. I've worn glasses most of my riding life, since my early 20's. No problems poking the arms into this one or my previous HJC. I have no experience with transitional lenses however. If I was wearing them and was to go through a tunnel or underpass I think I'd be nervous about the sudden darkness!
My transitions aren't that dark, so I don't think I'll have any problems as far as tunnels and such. Good point, though. My Sedici also has the drop down sun shield, but I haven't needed it.

Next time I want to buy a helmet I'll definitely look at HJC
I have an HJC i90 modular helmet with a channel for the glasses frames and I have to put my glasses on after putting the helmet on and take them off before removing it. I used to wear a 3/4 helmet that was a bit looser and could put it on/off with my glasses on.

The i90 has the flip down sun visor, but it isn't very dark. I have prescription sunglasses to wear if it's a really bright day.

I found that if your helmet visor has a polarized coating, don't get that on your glasses also. It creates strange artifacts so that you can't see oil spots on the road.
OMG, thanks. That's frightening

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
34 Posts
The last two modular helmets I had came with flip down sun visor. I don’t remove my glasses when putting on or off the helmet.
Pierre
Same here, never take my glasses off.
I also have transitions lenses and yes, they don't darken unless I have my visor open.
So, the drop down sunshield is great.
Usually I will wear contacts and a good pair of sunglasses on the bike but sometimes can't be bothered messing with them.
I don't take my sunglasses on or off either,
My past modulars are KBC and Scorpion.
My current ones are HJC Sy-Max III and an HJC I-90

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO-GT920, which is modular and has a sun shield. Modular helps with getting it on and off with glasses. Some of my riding includes transitions from bright light to dark shade, and it's good to be able to flip the sun shield up as needed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts