CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s helmet will fit in our top box. Both of ours won’t. On a recent trip, I took a lock off of one of my gun cases and used that. It worked fine, but the cable is a little puny ( I want it to look like it can’t be stolen).....
Sooooo...... I’m looking for recommendations on an adjustable cable lock. Something that’s coated so it won’t scratch the helmet. Adjustable, so I can make sure the helmet won’t fall and be damaged.
Thanks,
Brad

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
howdee
a little light hearted lol idea: a note written on the helmet in appropriate languages like (bedbug parking area) or something similar.
ken

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I agree with Explorecaves that most of your options will only keep an honest person from stealing your stuff. I have a 50 liter trunk I keep my lid in, but on longer road trips, it gets filled with souvenirs, snacks, t-shirts, and assorted trip trash. Then, my helmet is displaced and hung on the right mirror while I'm eating. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an issue. Although, I have a big gourd, and the 3XL sticker may be the reason folks leave it alone. Now, leaving an iPhone 6 on the Ram mount for a 5 minute bathroom break is another story all together. Don't ask me how I know.

If you find an effective cable lock, let us know. I have an Aerostich Transit jacket I love and that is irreplaceable as it is no longer made. I'd love to find a way to secure it to the bike while eating, sightseeing, shopping, etc.

Reactions: The_Bachelor

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out the lockpicking lawyer on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ). Your eyes will be opened with how bad cable locks really are. If you are still thinking about it, I would get something substantial in size. Something similar to this: https://www.masterlocks.com/product/333/no-8413-python-cable-lock

You could also look for something like this. https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-424...5g.WTOmiSHxTNMSQ&slotNum=20&tag=car-search-20
Alright EC...... after binge watching lock picking lawyers, I think the ones he doesn’t advertise picking any of is the inline combination lock. In addition, I believe I’ll be needing his legal services soon for all the education I’ve gotten today..... :D

Reactions: explorecaves

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been using this https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/lock-straps-jacket-helmet-lock it folds up and will fit in the "storage" above the gas tank. I put this through the chin bar, then place the helmet in a helmet bag and it gets locked though the center of the handle bar mount. There is also this from moto manufacturing;https://motomanufacturing.com/mirrorlok/ it'll allow you to lock your helmet using the D-ring.
I like that revzilla one Drey..... I hadn’t seen that one yet

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Thanks for looking.
The biggest problem with those is our helmets have the quick release ratchet rather than the D-rings..... Funny how a convenience in one place can be such a pain in the other.....
They do make adapters for that.

The expensive one, no need to, to see how it works

https://smile.amazon.com/Lidlox-200...s=gateway&sprefix=Helmet+lock,aps,169&sr=8-37

And the cheap adapter that will work fine

https://smile.amazon.com/Show-Chrom...&s=gateway&sprefix=Helmet+lock,aps,169&sr=8-2

Reactions: The_Bachelor

·
Registered
983 Posts
I use one that fits in the end of the right handle bar in place of the bar weight. It is made by LIDLOCK. As long as you turn the bars to the left when parked the helmet does not touch the fairings. It needs a D ring on the helmet but that could be put on the strap. Works great. One would have to cut the strap to get the helmet. That would make the helmet useless. I think now they have different mounting apparatus for differant locations. I have had it a couple of years and no problems.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I agree with Explorecaves that most of your options will only keep an honest person from stealing your stuff. I have a 50 liter trunk I keep my lid in, but on longer road trips, it gets filled with souvenirs, snacks, t-shirts, and assorted trip trash. Then, my helmet is displaced and hung on the right mirror while I'm eating. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had an issue. Although, I have a big gourd, and the 3XL sticker may be the reason folks leave it alone. Now, leaving an iPhone 6 on the Ram mount for a 5 minute bathroom break is another story all together. Don't ask me how I know.

If you find an effective cable lock, let us know. I have an Aerostich Transit jacket I love and that is irreplaceable as it is no longer made. I'd love to find a way to secure it to the bike while eating, sightseeing, shopping, etc.
I agree; if someone is determined to steal something, it will be gone. I too will often leave my helmet on the right mirror, but when travelling I have a helmetlok that I will use. It comes with a coiled plastic covered cable and I believe you can get longer ones that could be useful with a jacket, but the caveat noted above always applies. (https://www.amazon.ca/Helmetlok-4102-Coil-Cable/dp/B00EE56TZM/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwJSXppOV4wIVgp6fCh0RzwIEEAAYASAAEgJOXvD_BwE&hvadid=208292175962&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000676&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16578443485120691096&hvtargid=kwd-297666862542&hydadcr=24637_9650570&keywords=helmetlok&qid=1562033298&s=gateway&sr=8-5)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use one of these:
Helmet Snake
It's a hideous website for a good product.

I mostly will put the helmet in my top case but if it's crowded, I'll use the cable with a small padlock. The lock, in my mind, isn't as important as making the cable obvious. If I set the helmet on the seat with the cable running through the face it'll be enough to discourage a "grab & run" thief and that's the guy I worry about.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: explorecaves

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a new Gold Wing, and two helmets can't easily fit in the trunk. I use a good bicycle lock with combination to lock one of them on the seat. You can get them at Home Depot, Walmart, or any bicycle store. I can also thread the long cable thru the sleeve of our riding jackets and put them on the seat if no room in the saddlebags.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I agree with Explorecaves that most of your options will only keep an honest person from stealing your stuff. .............................
From the people I've heard from, who have had something stolen and seen them or seen who it likely was, in many cases the thief is a teenager grabbing something that is completely unsecured. A target of opportunity. So ANY locking mechanism is going to stop them.

I've never locked my stuff and never had anything taken which seems to be normal for those in my group, although I tend to be in fairly "safe" places.

Steve

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
howdy, living in "the hills" where people understand that the owner watching may have agressive and noisy security measures in place tends to discourage sticky finger dissapearing acts of yer things
ken

·
Registered
70 Posts
My wife’s helmet will fit in our top box. Both of ours won’t. On a recent trip, I took a lock off of one of my gun cases and used that. It worked fine, but the cable is a little puny ( I want it to look like it can’t be stolen).....
Sooooo...... I’m looking for recommendations on an adjustable cable lock. Something that’s coated so it won’t scratch the helmet. Adjustable, so I can make sure the helmet won’t fall and be damaged.
Thanks,
Brad
Have you hear about mirrrowlock?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I got 5 helmet locks from eBay for 10 bucks. Work just fine, I’ll pass on $60 per lock...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts