CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hello!
My name is Konrad!
Im here to say hello and ask about Honda CTX700.

Is it good for beginners?

Have a nice day!
Welcome from Florida, the land of 333 day riding seasons!! The CTX700 is great for beginners and great even for guys like me that started riding on the back roads of Florida in Aug 1958. Reading this thread right now we all know where you are from, but the next time you post elsewhere, most of us will not have a clue (especially us old guys!). So, let me suggest that you put your city/state/region in your profile (at least your state).

Knowing where you are in general terms, helps readers of your future posts to have a "context" to draw on. Since you are new to this forum and likely its software (the website "mechanics" all are different!), here's how to edit your Profile for your location:

1) Click on "User CP" tab in the upper right corner of this screen. If you don't see it, you are not at the top level. Scroll all the way up and it is just under the Search dialog.
2) Once on the User CP (Control Panel) page you'll see "Edit Your Details" click on the upper left side frame entry labeled "Your Profile"
3) Now scroll down to "Additional Information" & click "Location." Just put in your location at whatever level of detail you prefer (Country, Region, State/Prov, and/or City).
4) Continue to scroll down until you see "Save Changes" at the bottom of the page, click that and you are done.

Note, since most smart phones are not smart enough to allow you to perform the above steps with their truncated screens, you'll likely have to do it using your PC.

Again, welcome!:D:D:D

·
Registered
211 Posts
The CTX 700 is good enough for beginners, some of the members on this forum (including me) moved up from a scooter. This bike rides much better than a scooter. It may be somewhat heavy for a starter bike (500 pounds), but if you don't let that bother you and make up your mind to ride it that will not be a problem. I also think the DCT transmission is advantageous for a new rider, eliminating the need to learn how to use the clutch.
Do not let anyone convince you that you're going to "hop-on" and all the rest is a piece of cake. It doesn't matter the size or power of the machine you should not take it for granted, you need to learn as much as you can, let someone help you learn to ride properly and realize; that will take some time.
My best to you!
Gary

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee. I concur that the CTX can be a great beginner bike it is tame enough with the power delivery as long as you do your part it's all in your right hand. There is definitely enough power there to get you into trouble if you aren't careful. However, as your skills grow the bike has enough capability to give you some room to grow, where as if you start out on a 250 of whatever variety you will probably quickly outgrow it, not that that would be a bad thing. I still think that there is merit in buying a 250 class motorcycle riding it as much as you possibly can for a season and then stepping up to something larger. Your initial investment is less, and it will teach you some good habits about minding your gears etc. If you buy used you can usually sell the bike for close to what you buy it for after a season or even two. They depreciate to fairly level point for quite a while.

That being said if you want to forgo all that the CTX would be a good choice because it is tame enough for a newby with plenty of room to grow into and if you decide you want to drag knees down the road you can upgrade from there. But in my bias opinion I don't think you can go wrong with the CTX, or the NC700/750 for that matter.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
423 Posts
From what I read, London traffic is rated 7th worst in the world and gas is around $1.54 U.S dollar per liter. The CTX with DCT transmission is a pleasure to ride through stop and go traffic as compared to a manual shift and gets over 60 miles per gallon doing it. All the benefits of a scooter in a full sized motorcycle. Hondaprokevin.com has the most detailed info on the bike that you can find on the web.
2018 Honda CTX700N DCT Review of Specs / Features | Automatic Motorcycle

·
Registered
46 Posts
My first bike was a leftover 2014 that I purchased in 2015. I love it. Don't know much else but do not regret it at all. My first ride, however, was on a small Honda at the Basic Rider Course. Learning the clutch was not a big issue. They took me from zero experience to being comfortable and confident on a bike. I spent a lot of parking lot time with the ctx as it was quite a bit bigger than the BRC bike. Whatever bike you choose, take the BRC before hitting the streets. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love mine, its my fourth machine and it is a blast to ride! If you can get one, do it, you wont regret it! A day in and I want to go ride a lot more :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is good for a beginner or experienced rider. It is just a nice comfortable bike that performs well and meets the demands of riding. I had a modified Harley VRSCD night rod automatic. With the slipper designed clutch the bike reached 160 mph which was ridiculous since you can't ride it on public roads at that speed. It was also an 1130 cc engine and weighed in at 926 pounds. Got too heavy to ride and control in traffic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought the CTX700 DCT last November--my first motorcycle, having only ever ridden a Honda 50 minibike before...40 years ago, for less than an hour.

This motorcycle is great for beginners...especially with the DCT. As others have mentioned, you do not have to worry about the clutch and gearing if you don't want to, which lets you focus more on your surroundings / environment / other traffic. I am very comfortable with driving a manual transmission 4-wheel, but decided I didn't want the hassle on my motorcycle. Having said that, I find that I ride in "Manual" mode almost exclusively, so I am deciding when and where the bike shifts.

This motorcycle also seems very nimble for ~220 kg, as it has a low center of gravity. Turns are a breeze.

Mine is also the faired version, which I like. It keeps the wind pressure to a minimum...

Good luck, and happy and safe rides!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello. I spent a couple years riding in England back in the 80s. I would guess that the 700 would be considered a bigger bike there. I had my Kawasaki 454 ltd when I lived there and it has about the same HP as the ctx700. It is plenty of power for there and great fuel economy. I have been averaging about 70 miles on 1 US gallon or 3.78 litres. It rains here a lot in the afternoons and so I have gotten some experience with the CTX in the rain and the fairing is pretty good. I know it rains like 300 days a year where I lived in East Anglia, so you either ride in the rain or don't ride.
From what I hear "old Bill" has eyes everywhere now. When I lived there we pretty much ran as fast as we wanted and I spent many an hour on the motorway running about 90 along with everyone else. The CTX seems to run up to about 85 quick and then it is slow to get up to max speed which is around 100.
I would think the CTX would be better than most bikes for the UK. It even has space under the seat for one of those big U shaped locks to lock the bike up so it doesn't get stolen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Guys!!

I looking for good motorcycle, ctx700 is enough for begineer? I wish you all the best:)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Wlcome Conrad. Not wanting to make assumptions, but are you from London England or some other London (Ontario perhaps?).

As others have noted the CTX is a very versatile and easy to ride bike whether you are a novice or an experience rider. It has a fair bit of low end torque so you may have to watch for that until you get used to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!
My name is Konrad from motorcycle screens
Im here to say hello and ask about Honda CTX700.

Is it good for begginers?

Have a nice day!

Sklep motocyklowy 2befast to firma specjalizująca się w akcesoriach motocyklowych takich jak szyby motocyklowe, przewody hamulcowe w stalowym oplocie, crash pady oraz krótkie klamki sportowe. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/67-klamki-sprzegla-i-hamulca Wszystkie szyby motocyklowe są wykonane z najwyższej jakości materiałów, a crash pady chronią silnik, ramę i owiewki przed uszkodzeniami. Krótkie klamki sportowe pomagają spersonalizować motocykl i dostosować odległość dźwigni sprzęgła i hamulca według predyspozycji kierowcy. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/66-uklad-hamulcowy Przewody hamulcowe w oplocie poprawią jakość hamowania i bezpieczeństwo.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Sklep motocyklowy 2befast to firma specjalizująca się w akcesoriach motocyklowych takich jak szyby motocyklowe, przewody hamulcowe w stalowym oplocie, crash pady oraz krótkie klamki sportowe. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/67-klamki-sprzegla-i-hamulca Wszystkie szyby motocyklowe są wykonane z najwyższej jakości materiałów, a crash pady chronią silnik, ramę i owiewki przed uszkodzeniami. Krótkie klamki sportowe pomagają spersonalizować motocykl i dostosować odległość dźwigni sprzęgła i hamulca według predyspozycji kierowcy. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/66-uklad-hamulcowy Przewody hamulcowe w oplocie poprawią jakość hamowania i bezpieczeństwo.
Dispite our international client base, this is an English language site. So I took the time to right click and get the above translated (thanks to Google!):

"The 2befast motorcycle store is a company specializing in motorcycle accessories such as motorcycle windshields, steel braided brake lines, crash pads and short sport handles. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/67-klamk...egla-i-hamulca All motorcycle windows are made of the highest quality materials, and crash pads protect the engine, frame and fairings from damage. Short sport handles help to personalize the motorcycle and adjust the distance between the clutch and brake levers according to the predisposition of the driver. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/66-uklad-hamulcowy Braided brake lines will improve braking quality and safety."

:nerd:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Dispite our international client base, this is an English language site. So I took the time to right click and get the above translated (thanks to Google!):

"The 2befast motorcycle store is a company specializing in motorcycle accessories such as motorcycle windshields, steel braided brake lines, crash pads and short sport handles. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/67-klamk...egla-i-hamulca All motorcycle windows are made of the highest quality materials, and crash pads protect the engine, frame and fairings from damage. Short sport handles help to personalize the motorcycle and adjust the distance between the clutch and brake levers according to the predisposition of the driver. https://sklep.2befast.pl/pl/66-uklad-hamulcowy Braided brake lines will improve braking quality and safety."

:nerd:
Thanks for the translation. I now have a question regarding the post... It appears to be it is possibly spam as the content of the post doesnt relate to the content of the thread..... Anyone else agree?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts