CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Tom and I am interested in the CTX.

I do have some questions about what model is right for me. Perhaps some of you guys and gals can help answer a few of my issues.

I started riding back as a teenager on a Honda 400. After getting married and having a child I sold the bike and got away from riding for quite some time. I am back riding again but just own a PCX150 which I use as a commuter to and from work for the most part. I know I can get the hang of shifting again after a bit of practice but I am not sure how important the ABS is to have on the CTX?

Next, is the CTX considered a ladies bike? I mean no offense by this, but I see lots of people posting and showing pics of their wives bikes here.
I am divorced now and raise my daughter on my own. I would like a bike I can handle if she decides to ride with me on short trips.

Lastly, the models confuse me some as I have seen a CTX with a very high seat that almost looks more like the old enduro bikes, then I have seen the CTX700n that sits low like what I want. I do want the fairing so I can have a decent windshield here in SD. It is a very windy state and a necessity here for sure. Does the CTX700N have a fairing optional for it? It doesnt seem to mention it on Honda's website?

Thanks for any and all answers

Tom

·
Banned
463 Posts
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the forum.
First of all, the CTX isn't a "ladies bike". There are some on the forum that mention their wife has one of them but the majority are ridden by males. I have one coming next week and as you can see by my "signature" I have ridden a selection of bikes over the last 20 some years and am looking forward to enjoying this one.
I have had bikes with and without ABS. It's a nice feature but is not available on the manual shift. I don't remember ever braking hard enough in a panic mode to ever have actuated the ABS. The lack of it is not keeping me from getting a manual shifter.
The various models of CTXs all have the same seat height, about 28 inches.
You may have seen an NC700 which has a seat about 2 inches higher.
The CTX700 comes with the fairing and a short windscreen. The N model does have some after market windshields available, Madstad for example. Honda does not have an optional fairing for the CTXN.
Honda does have a higher windshield as an option for the faired model. There have been mixed reviews of this screen, some saying it increases buffeting, some like it. Sounds like it depends on your height, what kind of helmet you wear, whether you rode a scooter with no buffeting as opposed to a screenless bike.
There are some aftermarket windscreens in process of being developed and are not yet available. I ordered the tall Honda unit for now.
Roadbike magazine of Aug, 2013 and Rider magazine, September, both have pretty good reviews of the CTX with a lot of helpful info.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I Vulcan.

Please understand I did not mean to offend with the ladies bike comment. I just joined today and from what I had read and looking at the galary it kind of seemed that way. I really like the looks of the bike and its not too big that I cant handle it.

As far as the model goes I think I should be looking at the CTX700 then. If I remember correctly the cost is a bit more versus the N series. I really want the protection from the wind. My dealership does not carry the CTX700. They have only the CTX700N in black and the NC700, the one I was confused about earlier.

I will have to look around at surrounding dealers to see if one of them actually stocks the 700 with the fairing. I think I will be fine without the ABS and DCT.

Hey thank you for your speedy response and clearing some things up for me.:)

·
Banned
463 Posts
Hey Tom,
I wasn't offended by the ladies' bike comment.
Usually any dealer can get the other models. Guess it depends where you are. Honda dealers can get other models easier it seems than dealers who handle mutiple makes.
Any of them can trade with other dealers if they really want to get you what you want.
Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Next, is the CTX considered a ladies bike? I mean no offense by this, but I see lots of people posting and showing pics of their wives bikes here.
Because most females are typically smaller/shorter than men, you'll see them naturally gravitating towards lower/lighter/smaller bikes. CTX is one such bike, so it's only natural that you see a fair number of females taking a liking to it. But that doesn't automatically mean it's a ladies bike. I would not classify any bike as a ladies bike. If a man likes it, then it's a mens bike. :)

Another aspect is the availability of automatic transmission on the CTX. I suspect there are quite a few women out there that would love to ride something slightly more mature than a scooter, but are hesitant to do so because they're not comfortable with clutches and manual gear shifting. CTX solved that problem for them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Cheapride. I have the fairing model with the abs and dct. I love it. I have the tall windshield and feel protected. 5'4". I believe the fairing model comes in both white and red in manual. Good luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your encouragement and understanding. I am 5'10 so definately I want a taller wind shield. I have a 3/4 helmet with a clear shield I can remove if wanted. I know on my PCX the GIVI windshield I installed at least keeps the wind off my chest area even though it is not correct for my height. Using that and the shield on my helmet works for when I venture out on the highways.

My dealer is a multi dealership. Yamaha, kawasaki, Honda, Sea doo, Ski doo, Victory and Triumph. I have found in the past they their customer service skills could be improved upon but now I have an ex-coworker that has taken employment there and will help me figure things out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Funny thing with windshields, many of them will just redirect the air from your chest and dump it onto your head which is very unpleasant. For this reason, I actually preferred riding with no windshield at all on my old Vulcan. At least this way the air was evenly distributed over my entire body with no strange currents. That's not to say that a well functioning windshield for a CTX does not exist.

Another aspect is the looks. I just don't like the look of a tall windshield on a bike. But that's of course very subjective/personal. Alas, functionality beats looks when it comes down to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The ABS was one of the main selling points for me. A while back I was riding my V Star 650 and a car just pulled out in-front of me and I locked up my rear brake. I like the fact that I have tried to lock up the rear wheel on the CTX and it continued to roll with me in control.

I don't consider the CTX a ladies bike. Since it is mine, that makes it a man's bike. LOL

Just buy what you like and can afford.

·
Banned
463 Posts
The ABS was one of the main selling points for me. A while back I was riding my V Star 650 and a car just pulled out in-front of me and I locked up my rear brake. I like the fact that I have tried to lock up the rear wheel on the CTX and it continued to roll with me in control.

Unfortunately many cruiser riders have the notion that using the front brake will throw them over the windshield.
The rear brake becomes the brake of choice. Locking it up is not a good thing to do.
If the rear slides out and you release the brake you will be highsided.

ABS prevents this but practicing proper braking is a necessity. My experience on the demo ride I took was that the front brake was very adequate, similar to what I experienced on both BMWs and the V-Strom I had.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well, I have a CTX (DCT model) and I don't really care if people perceive it as a ladies. I'm really not into what other people think of what I ride, wear, live, eat, etc. That said, I consider the bike to be a bike for people who enjoy riding. I know ladies who ride Ducati's and ZX6's, etc. So whatever YOU feel comfortable riding, that's the bike you should ride. ijs

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just to reinterate and summarize the CTX models. There are four model choices listed below: CTX700N, CTX700ND, CTX700, CTX700D. I'm no good at posting pics from the internet, so I'll try to explain via text.

Like was posted above; all CTX models have approx the same seat height at or about 28.3" and are the same basic bike except as is noted below. There are three other Honda style motorcycles with these power trains globally: The NC700S, NC700X, and Integra (scooter/motorcycle mix). Honda designates the dual clutch automatic transmission and ABS brakes with the letter "D" in the U.S. that is added on to the end of the model name. The Integra and NC700S are not sold in the U.S., so this means there are six models in the U.S., each available with or without dual clutch transmission and ABS: CTX700N, CTX700ND, CTX700, CTX700D, NC700X, and NC700XD), but if you have seen an adventure-style bike, it is not the CTX700 or CTX700N that you've seen, but the NC700X. If you see pics of the NC700S or Integra, be advised that they are not sold in the U.S. I think that, however, the NC700S is available in Canada. So just to simplify everything that I just covered, if you are interested in a CTX model, then all the CTX models are the low-seat height and the cruiser style bike as described below.

Below are the current CTX models for the U.S. If one choices the automatic transmission, he or she also gets ABS brakes standard with the purchase. Also, if one choices the automatic transmission, he or she does not get a color choice as you will see below.

1. CTX700N -- Naked model; Manual transmission and manual brakes. Color choices are red and black; both with black secondary color. List price @ $6,999 with no accessories. No OEM windshield available at this time but many other accessories are available. A couple of after market screen choices exist at this time, which are discussed on the forum.

2. CTX700ND -- Naked model that looks the same as the CTX700N; Dual-Clutch transmission (known as DCT) and ABS brakes standard with this model (you cannot get the manual transmission in the U.S. with ABS). There is no color choice. Only in black. MSRP=$7,999. Accessories choices same as above.

3. CTX700 -- Fairing model, standard transmission and brakes. Color choices are red or white with black as the secondary color. No black color choice with the fairing model and no choice of white for the naked models. Fairing model comes with the light-touring fairing and grab handles; the grab handles are an accessory option with the naked bike but standard with the fairing model. Other than these two extra components, it is the same bike. Tall OEM screen is sold as an accessory. It has mixed reviews. As of this writing, there is only one after market screen that I'm aware of, and it is from Cee Bailey. MSRP is $7799.

4. CTX700D -- Fairing model with dual clutch and ABS standard but looks the same as the CTX700. In the U.S. one cannot order ABS without dual clutch (DCT). With the D fairing model, as with the naked model, there is no color choice, but with the fairing model, the color is red (you cannot order white at this time in the CTX700D). MSRP = $8799.

Suggested shipping charge is the same for all bikes @ $310. Most dealers that I know of don't charge this but many charge document fees, etc.

There are a couple of ways to make more sense out of my explanation above. Google CTX700N, click on "images" and then Google search CTX700 and click on "images". If one wants to see the differences between the CTX and the NC700X, he or she can google search and then click on images for that bike as well. One can also google Honda Powersports and one can see how Honda categorizes each model and the options for each.

* Any members are welcome to correct any errors that I may have made or post pictures of each CTX model.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The CTX700 and CTX700N make for a good ladies bike or anyone who is smaller and lighter but wants a mid-sized bike, because it is easy to ride and has low center of gravity, but that doesn't make it lady like or feminine or exclusive to those body types, even though some folks with homophobic tendencies that have this preconceived cultural belief about what a bike should be or what a biker should be may think that this bike is too scooter looking (chiefly with respect to the fairing model, which looks more docile in character than the naked bikes). I've received that look from some folks already who have looked down their noses at me, but those aren't the insecure type of folks I want to associate with anyway.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As far as my "ladies bike" comment, I think the style of the CTX is sporty and eye catching. That was one of the first things that drew me to it. The fact that its not loud and obnoxious is another plus for me. The weight factor makes a difference as I dont think I could easily manipulate a 1200cc touring bike. The gas mileage will be a bit to get used to, but 60's is still much better then my CRV, just not the 100 + I am seeing with my PCX.

I am 47 years old and drive a scooter. I take some heat from co-workers and friends for doing so. I like scooters and will continue to like them if I purchase a CTX. I say to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CTX Redux

With the CTX700, Honda has paid a lot of attention to what makes a good riding experience. They have bikes that fit the two-jug mold. This bike isn't one of them. This bike is made for comfort and efficiency, pulling no punches on modern engineering. It's got the powerful "lug lug" of a big 700 (I'm from back in day when a 350 was pretty big) and the pull of a much bigger bike. I've owned a Victory 1500cc bike, and this bike compares very favorably in power, pickup and rideability. The Victory got 45 mpg. This one gets 65mpg.

I have a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle on this Honda. You will feel the same way.

Reactions: Effem Tee

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey Tom,
I am a woman, and I have a CTX700nd and I love it. I had a Shadow Spirit 750 before, but was having trouble shifting, accelerating & breaking, plus trying to keep the bike up it felt so heavy. I have no problems with the CTX, so glad I purchased it. Thanks to this forum, I am adding a windshield on to it and may eventually even add saddlebags. I say just get what you like, what feels good and what you can afford. Don't let "labeling" stand in your way. Good luck in your decision making.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Tom,
I am a woman, and I have a CTX700nd and I love it. I had a Shadow Spirit 750 before, but was having trouble shifting, accelerating & breaking, plus trying to keep the bike up it felt so heavy. I have no problems with the CTX, so glad I purchased it. Thanks to this forum, I am adding a windshield on to it and may eventually even add saddlebags. I say just get what you like, what feels good and what you can afford. Don't let "labeling" stand in your way. Good luck in your decision making.
Thank you.

I really like the white fairing version, but a dealer 45 miles away quoted me a CTX700ND for $7799.00 with no destination charge and only a $30.00 documentation fee. From reading in here about what people have paid I think that is a great offer.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
That is a good price, just make sure you do not want the fairing. I almost bought my wife a N version, but the fairing has really grown on us and combined with the Cee Bailey shield it is a great option. I like the white a lot but have not seen one in person. Heck, for that matter my wife's CTX is the only one I have seen other than in showrooms.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a good price, just make sure you do not want the fairing. I almost bought my wife a N version, but the fairing has really grown on us and combined with the Cee Bailey shield it is a great option. I like the white a lot but have not seen one in person. Heck, for that matter my wife's CTX is the only one I have seen other than in showrooms.

Now you see my struggles. They havent been able to tell me how long before they can get a white CTX700 nor what the price would be. I think he (like all the other dealers) is giving a good price because he has the N in stock. I know a dealer close by in Minnesota has a white one, I wish they could swap or my dealer buy it from them for me. I would not get treated as well from the MN dealer.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I wander what is going on currently with the fairing models?

I figured each would be equally popular, but maybe it's the $800 add-on to the base N price, or that it sort of loses that street-fighter look.

Based on the price I got my standard fairing model for, I think Honda is probably garnering a little extra margin on the fairing model, and maybe they need to drop the MSRP by about $200 where I expect the margin would be about the same percentage wise., But then again, this may have been a way to give the dealers a little more wiggle room on the fairing model while taking a low margin for the N models. But if they're not selling them, then what's the point.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts