CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to motorcycles and feel that CTX700 will be perfect for me. I got an email from a dealer today saying he has one in stock so, will see it on Saturday morning. :D

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Lets hope it is the model you want. After reading much on this forum you should be able to decide color and model that best suits your mind as to what type of motorcycle fits.

If truly new to motorcycles we all wish you success and hope you take advantages of any classes you can take prior to unleashing yourself into a hostile traffic world that can cause "great bodily injury and/or death" as noted in most owners manuals now..

good luck. motor cycles are fun.

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took a 2 day motorcycle safety course and now looking to get out into the neighborhood. Baby steps

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I took a 2 day motorcycle safety course and now looking to get out into the neighborhood. Baby steps
well 2 day in the right direction is a good start. If there are more days of classes available, do that please. If not, I would say do the following...

If you get a new or used bike go find a big empty parking lot and practice starting off from stopped and stopping from 5, 10, 15, 20mph max. start off with only 1 light finger on front break and avoid any gravel areas. The front brake is your friend and enemy. it does the best at stopping and if the front wheel locks and slides you usually crash. On my new CTX I never use more than 2 fingers.

practice slow turns with feet on pegs. practice big figure 8's to get a sense of balance between you and the bike. After a few hours of this maybe rest and try it again the next day. Move on to low traffic areas to get a feeling of town driving. Expand on that.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The only downside to not using all your fingers is having a crash and the lever crushing the remaining fingers under it.....also progressive emergency braking is easier controlled with all your leverage. I was practice braking my wife's former Shadow and was surprised how fast the front brakes locked. I had an unexpected emergency brake on the CTX and it was soooooooo much better with the same pressure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Welcome. I just took my class last week and bought my CTX700ND on Friday. I have been riding a 50 cc scooter all summer.

If you class was like mine, you were probably riding a 250. Be prepared... this Honda is a bit intimidating after riding the smaller bikes. I have started riding my new bike by taking it to a parking lot and doing a lot of low speed exercises and stopping and starting just like in the safety course. It's fun to let it fly on the road, but I won't be riding in any heavy traffic anytime soon.

There are several of us who have chosen these bikes as a first real motorcycle. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The only downside to not using all your fingers is having a crash and the lever crushing the remaining fingers under it.....also progressive emergency braking is easier controlled with all your leverage. I was practice braking my wife's former Shadow and was surprised how fast the front brakes locked. I had an unexpected emergency brake on the CTX and it was soooooooo much better with the same pressure.
I myself, would not like crushed fingers and oftenrest all my fingers on the lever since I got the throttle boss. But I never use all 4 to pull since the CTX doesn't require that much force. I truly think some new riders just don't know what happens when the front wheel stops rotating. In my experience it is best to learn with a couple of fingers (or a light touch with all 4 is fine if they don't panic) and then add more fingers once they really get a feel for the front brakes great power.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome. I live it Cookeville. Eighty miles east on I-40. I got mine at Southern Honda.

What dealer are you dealing with?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts