CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member but not a new rider. I've been riding since 1977 and currently have a 1998 BMW R1200C (the Ivory one). I love that bike but I just talked to the dealer for the 2014 CTX 700 DCT. I will probably pick it up next week. I test rode it today. The first thing I noticed right off the bat was where the foot pegs were. They really are way up there. I hope I can get used to that.
The reason I'm downsizing and getting the 700 is because I had a total elbow procedure a few years ago and can see I will have clutch problems in the near future.
Believe it or not I have always done my own add-ons, and maintenance on the boxer engine. It's so easy! Do any of you guys know where I can get a Clymer manual for this model? Thanks, Jan

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome, indeed! Once you ride it, you will wonder why everyone doesn't put the pegs there...so relaxed. Well, at least this 68 y-o thinks so...

Ride Often, Ride Safe,
f

·
Registered
309 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
463 Posts
Beemer Princess,
I have the Kuryakyn mini boards and they work great.
As mentioned in the threads on the forum you need the splined adapters also. You must cut a small part of the stock spring to make them fit. DSC02278 (Copy).JPG

DSC02279 (Copy).JPG

·
Banned
463 Posts
Mike, I originally installed these using the middle slot but like you changed to the front slot. My wife prefers that position.
It seemed like the center position didn't give enough room for shifting.....for us shifty types.
Also changed from flat position to slightly inclined.
Work great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello from Acworth, GA. Just got my CTX today. Got the naked version in black and my bike has VIN 000003. I have had many different bikes but currently have a 2008 Silverwing scooter as well as me new CTX.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hello from Acworth, GA. Just got my CTX today. Got the naked version in black and my bike has VIN 000003. I have had many different bikes but currently have a 2008 Silverwing scooter as well as me new CTX.

Welcome to the forum and for being a new CTX owner. Many scooter owners have made this path and this forum tells many of there findings.

Good riding K9lyons

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
GeorgiaRider, Welcome to you and your wife. The V-Star was much heavier riding so no wonder she loves the CTX. So by your signature your going to be riding the Kawasaki it looks like...

I always like to see women getting the bikes they can enjoy riding just as us men have done. There are several gals here on the forum. Can I call them "gals" ? no offense ladies.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thank you. Yes the wife rides the CTXN, but I plan to spend some quality time on it to see how I like it. I plan to ride the CTX 1300 when it comes out. I still love the Vulcan 500. It's nimble and fast.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi GeorgiaRider,

I've had a number of Virago bikes as well as a VStar 950. The Viragos were much easier to handle than the VStar. I always dragged pegs when riding the twisties so I really like the CTXN for allowing me to corner without that darned peg-dragging. I like the sport mode (auto DCT engine) and being able to downshift even in sport and drive modes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kate,

We need to ride together sometime since we're right up the road from you in Cartersville. As you know we have some greats roads in our area. Actually at one time we thought the V-Star 950 would be the next bike for my wife. Then she sat on a CTX at a bike show at Barber's Museum and that was the end of that idea. She loves it. I've ridden it briefly and it may be more nimble than my Vulcan 500. Next week we have to take it to Chattanooga to have the sprocket and chain replaced. For some reason it wasn't installed properly and we have tight spots in the chain, like the sprocket wasn't centered properly. Honda agreed to make it right.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I forgot to add that the wife had a Virago 250 before the V-Star 650. She loved the Virago. Nimble and great gas mileage. Almost dangerous on the road the way trucks would blow her around, so we got her a bigger bike. We've put over 30K miles on the bikes in the last five years. Getting bikes was our mid-life crisis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts