CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking forward to purchasing and riding a 700 CTX DCT ABS. I have been riding a Piaggio BV 500. This will be my first motorcycle. I was able to sit on a 700 CTXN at a Honda dealer and found that the seat was just the right height for me (I'm 5'6") the handlebars were just the right length for my arms. I was very excited when I found out that they would have the DCT since I am use to riding a twist and go Maxi Scooter.

Cheri

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Welcome to the forum. ou will find that we don't do much in the way of introductions but if you read several of everybodies entries you get the idea about everyone.
Plan on getting the CTX700D myself. I am coming from a Honda SH150 and I do know how to manually shift but don't really want to do that now that I have some nerve damage. There are several scooter & ex-scooter riders here. I for one will keep my scooter to ride here in town as it gets 80+ mpg and use the CTX to go further afield.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome Cheri.

Did you plan on keeping the BV500, or have you sold it or plan to trade it or sell it?

I've got a 2013 BV350 that I can't seem to sell. I can't have two rides. Can't afford the CTX700 outright, and I don't have the space at home, but I've got to have that CTX. So the BV has got to go!

I've got it down to $4200; $1500 off the new price; had it up for sell for over two months and only three inquiries. I figured people would be calling me and trying to get me to come down on it at least, but hardly any inquiries. When I bought this thing it was a hot item, but now--nothing!

I'm going to Murfreesboro (near Nashville) tomorrow and see what kind of trade value I've got with one dealer. Maybe the news won't be too bad, and I can leave a deposit with them.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hello, I am looking forward to purchasing and riding a 700 CTX DCT ABS. I have been riding a Piaggio BV 500. This will be my first motorcycle.

If you are coming from a scooter to a CTX you are going to find a motorcycle without a fairing will expose your lower and upper body to wind that you scooter does not usually.

I notice that at 70mph my pant legs flapping in the wind slapping my legs pretty good due to the forward controls. When I wear heavier jeans it does reduce this. If it was cold and I had my leather overpants on I doubt there would be any flapping but it will be 104 tomorrow so not wearing them.

I never owned a scooter but see Your scooter has about 40HP so should be pretty zippy. The CTX will be a little more peppy with better acceleration. Brake controls will be different but if you get the DCT trans you also get ABS so for a new rider that should help you get going safer.

good luck,

Reactions: Cherimouse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news from my husband this afternoon. Our Honda dealer was able to locate a CTX700 with DCT/ABS and it will be in on either Friday this week or Monday next week. It will be mine when it arrives.

My Piaggio BV500 weighs in at 416 lbs. The seat height is 30.5 in and the length is 83.3. I have a windshield on it that keeps the wind from blowing me around too much. I took it on the freeway the other day and got it up to 75 mph at full throttle (we live at 4500 ft in Idaho.) We have lots of wind here in Idaho.

I probably will sell my 2007 BV 500. I know I will take a loss. I am going to start at $4000 and go from there.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Cherimouse, you did not indicate if CTX700 they were getting in was the fairing model. Sounds like you would be happier with a windshield in front of you.

CTX should feel as light as your scooter sitting on it and moving it around the garage or at a stop sign. wow, 75 is fast for a scooter but I know there are larger motors now on some models. The ctx will do that in 4th gear on the manual trans but dct equivalent should be about the same.

Hope it comes in and is what you like. It will be a very easy bike to ride.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I probably will sell my 2007 BV 500. I know I will take a loss. I am going to start at $4000 and go from there.
I hope you get more interest than I have with my '13 BV350. I had it up for a few weeks @ $4500. Got two calls; both long distance, which is a problem, because the prospective buyers want to make up for the cost of coming to get it. One almost paid asking price, I offered to drive 100 miles closer to his location in Knoxville, TN. He would have been coming from Ashville. I have family in Knoxville, so would not have increased my normal expenses too much to carry it there. But then this guy found a new, old dealer stock Kymco People 300i for $4700 out the door, which is in the same class as the BV350 and is something I can't compete with selling a used scooter.

I then dropped it to $4350 but $4200 if the buyer did not want the top case. Only one call, and this person was even farther away (1100 miles) in New York. He wants a used BV350 but can't find one local, but was struggling to justify driving 1100 miles for a scooter, which I completely understand.

I then took it to two dealers: one offered $3000 as trade value and tacked on over $600 in dealer fees on the new bike with or w/o trade. The other dealer offered $3500 trade in and will sale at no more than MSRP and no dealer fees. I left a deposit at the second dealer and left the BV @ there, because it's in a good-size city (Chattanooga) and now my strategy is to bombard the Chattanooga and north Georgia market with ads w/o spending a whole lot of money and sale firm @ $4,000.

The $3500 trade translates to $3740 after trade in and the tax savings that comes with a trade. The extra hassle and risk of doing a private sale is worth a couple of hundred dollars to me, so I think $3900-$4000 will be all I can do, since I'm guaranteed $3740 from the dealer with no chance of fraud or a buyer trying to come back on me for some way he or she may think he or she has been wronged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Bill.

I haven't seen it yet. I think I am getting a black CTX 700N DCT ABS. When an after marked windscreen comes out we will add that to it. It is scheduled to come in tomorrow or Monday from Boise (200 miles from me).

My Piaggio BV 500 is considered a maxi scooter. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheri

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hi Bill.

I haven't seen it yet. I think I am getting a black CTX 700N DCT ABS. When an after marked windscreen comes out we will add that to it. It is scheduled to come in tomorrow or Monday from Boise (200 miles from me).

My Piaggio BV 500 is considered a maxi scooter. I will let you guys know how it goes.

Cheri
Bet you having problem going to sleep dreaming about your new bike. Hope tomorrow is your lucky day.

If you ride it home it will almost be broken in. You only need 300 miles.

Now everyone has their own style of how to break in a bike and the manual is pretty slim about it on page 10. The do get sort of political as they say to ride "conservatively " ...lol

Just do it your way and be happy ( or goggle how).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Bill.

I'm still awake at 0200 hours (not by choice, I am working.) Fortunately I don't have to ride it 300 miles to get it home, the store in Boise is going to trailer it here to Pocatello. My husband has a trip planned for me in the near future to Yellowstone NP, which is about 179 miles from our home. It will be a long trip, but a rewarding one.

Cheri

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it arrived this morning. I am now the proud owner of a Black CTX700ND. I was able to take it out today and I am finding that I am getting used to it very quickly. I was able to take it out on a 55 mph road in the area and was able to go 55mph. Withaout a faring it was a little windy and I got pushed around just a little bit, but I was able to handle it. The bike handles very nicely and I love it so much.

I was very lucky to get it. I was told that there are only three in the country at dealers right now and I was lucky to get one because the dealer that had it in Boise wanted a child size race bike for a race in Preston Idaho. The Honda dealer in Pocatello had one of these race bikes and since they would be passing through Pocatello to go to Preston they were able to dropp the CTX off at in Pocatello and trade for the race bike. Lucky ME.

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was very lucky to get it. I was told that there are only three in the country at dealers right now...

Have a great weekend!
I would say that you're pretty lucky to get one, and it's pretty cool the way it worked out for you, but they are exaggerating the rarity somewhat. I know of one in a little town called Athens, TN (population--maybe 12,000). And if we added up the dealer stock known about just from the few forum members on here, we'd probably come up with more than three.

But they are right in spirit, they're pretty rare at this point, and you were lucky the way it turned out. There was a pretty small batch of them that shipped out to dealers about a month ago and most of them are sold by now, but there are some dealers that think very highly of them, adding hundreds to the price, and therefore haven't sold their one or two units, and there are some dealerships located in some rural areas where no one really cares about such a bike, so I'm pretty sure there are more than three still left nation wide.

This was my worry with respect to the CTX700 fairing model. The way Honda has just been eking out the N model, I'm afraid they'll do the same with the fairing model, and if the word gets out about the great fuel economy and value of this bike, then I could be stuck not being able to get one, especially with a trade. So I worked out a trade deal and went ahead and left a deposit on one.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hi Bill.

I'm still awake at 0200 hours (not by choice, I am working.) Fortunately I don't have to ride it 300 miles to get it home, the store in Boise is going to trailer it here to Pocatello. My husband has a trip planned for me in the near future to Yellowstone NP, which is about 179 miles from our home. It will be a long trip, but a rewarding one.

Cheri
Now you have your bike and it sounds like you will be settled in for your 179 miles trip coming up. I don't think you will find it's a long trip on that new bike. Not even a tank of gas to get there. With the DCT you get ABS brakes so you got great go and stop features on your model. Good choices.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts