CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX700 DCT
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed Yamaha Universal Grip Heaters (Part B67-H29A0-V0-00) on my Yamaha FZ-07 and decided to do the same thing on my CTX700. Here's why I chose them:

1. At $114.95 on Amazon, they are much less expensive than Honda OEM heated grips.

2. Unlike some other non-Honda grips (e.g., Oxford), they have an integrated heat control (see picture below) so you don't need to mount yet another control on your handlebars.

Here are a few caveats:

1. As others have described, I needed to cut off the original right hand grip and use a Dremel tool and knife to remove the plastic protrusions on the throttle tube. You may prefer the Honda heated grips if you don't want to deface your throttle tube. You can also buy a replacement (smooth) throttle tube for under $10.

2. If you have the DCT model, the left hand grip (the one with the integrated heat control) must be positioned very carefully to allow enough clearance for the two manual shift buttons. I have about 1 mm of clearance for each button and they work fine.

3. I really like Motopro Grip Glue for attaching the new grips. This glue dries slowly enough to allow you to exactly position the grips before it sets. The grips stay in place just fine when the glue dries after a few hours.

4. Threading the wires from the handlebars to the battery is always an adventure. You may choose to remove some fairing or use your own tricks (I like to thread a stiff wire from the battery to the front of the bike, tape the new wire to the one I just threaded, and pull it through.)

Good luck,

Arthur

Attachments

·
Registered
565 Posts
Very cool. The Honda OEM does have integrated heat control. It has one button that you hold for two seconds and has three levels of heat.

What I also love about the Honda grips is that it plugs into your existing accessory harness without cutting or splicing. Since it's not wired directly to the battery it will shut off when the bike shuts off so you aren't left with a dead battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"It has one button that you hold for two seconds and has three levels of heat."

Steve, can you, please, elaborate. I just bought my bike less than two weeks ago. It came with OEM heated grips already installed, but without the manual. I can't figure out that one button. I thought there should be several levels of heat, but until I read your post I didn't know that for sure. After the grips are on, pushing the button momentarily doesn't seem to do anything. Holding it longer just turns the grips off. What's the trick to change levels and is there an indicator? No matter how I push the button, the pattern of blinking doesn't change.

·
Registered
565 Posts
"It has one button that you hold for two seconds and has three levels of heat."

Steve, can you, please, elaborate. I just bought my bike less than two weeks ago. It came with OEM heated grips already installed, but without the manual. I can't figure out that one button. I thought there should be several levels of heat, but until I read your post I didn't know that for sure. After the grips are on, pushing the button momentarily doesn't seem to do anything. Holding it longer just turns the grips off. What's the trick to change levels and is there an indicator? No matter how I push the button, the pattern of blinking doesn't change.
Sure, when you press the button the first time it will blink 3 times this is the highest level of heat. Press it again and it will blink 2 times, this is the mid level and what I use when it's really cold out. Press it again and it will blink 1 time. This is the lowest setting and is used most of the time. Press it again and the light will go out and you'll have no heat. Nice thing about these is they will turn off when you turn off the bike so you won't walk up to a dead battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts