CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7.2 amp heated jacket liner that I use on my BMW with no concerns about electrical capacity, but I'm leery about using it on the CTX700. Anyone here using a high current accessory like this without issues? It's the Hotwired jacket liner sold by Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That's a lot of draw. What model is your BMW, and if I remember BMW comes with the ability to add accessory heaters.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's the draw at its high setting, and when you first switch it on it automatically goes to high, although I always switch it to medium or low. The BMW is an '07 R1200R, and the reason I don't have any concerns about using the liner with the BMW (aside from the fact I know it works OK) is that it's alternator produces 600W and is CANBUS; I don't know what our Honda's alternator produces and I don't wish to have the battery discharge while driving, or worse.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The #1 OP or optional circuit that I believe the optional heated grips plug into has a 7.5 amp fuse so I would be confident the charging system is at least designed to handle an extra 8 amp load. I understand the vests are powered directly off the battery using its own harness and would not run off this circuit. The service manual says the alternators capacity is 0.45 kW/5,000 rpm so I am thinking it would be .225kW at 2500 or 18.75 AMPS if the output is linear. For reference you can use Gear Commander to see theoretical speed at RPM to get an idea what average RPM you run and correlate that to the alt output at that RPM. What you could do is check the amp draw and voltage off the batt with nothing attached to see what it takes to just run the bike then attach the vest and see how it affects amp draw and charging voltage while running the bike up off idle RPM. I am just a novice and not a bike mechanic and could be looking at this all wrong. Hope the links can possibly provide you with some useful info.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf
Gearing Commander - Motorcycle Speed and Drive Train Calculator v7
Kilowatts to amps (A) conversion calculator

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, dgall. I was wondering about the draw of the heated grips myself but couldn't find any specs, nor could I find the alternator data. Very good suggestions.

·
Registered
2014 Naked
21 Posts
I have a 7.2 amp heated jacket liner that I use on my BMW with no concerns about electrical capacity, but I'm leery about using it on the CTX700. Anyone here using a high current accessory like this without issues? It's the Hotwired jacket liner sold by Cycle Gear.
I plug in my Gerbings liner, socks and gloves. No issues at all with voltage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts