CTX 700 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD tries to squeeze in a new sector of the market with upcoming 500 and 750 cc urban, street fighter bikes...

First Look: Harley-Davidson unveils new Street 500 and Street 750 - latimes.com

First Look: Harley-Davidson unveils new Street 500 and Street 750

By Charles Fleming
November 4, 2013, 1:30 p.m.
Harley-Davidson on Monday blew the covers off two dramatic new motorcycles for 2014: the Street 750 and Street 500.

The bikes represent an aggressive attempt to expand Harley's already massive reach to younger, newer and smaller riders by offering them a substantially lighter and more manageable urban street cruiser.

Both models feature the company's Dark Custom stylings, and a new fuel-injected, liquid-cooled Revolution X motor, cradled in an all-new frame.

Lane-splitting controversy: guidelines from the CHP

The belt-driven bikes feature a seat height of barely 25 inches and a fueled weight of only 480 pounds.

When they hit dealers in early 2014, the Street 500 will have an MSRP of about $6,700, and the Street 750 about $7,500.

Calling the unveiling "a great day in our history," Matthew S. Levatich, Harley's president and chief operating officer, said the Street series "fills a need for people who want to identify with a brand but have a motorcycle that is less intimidating, and more inviting. This bike is easier to ride and easier to learn how to ride."

Already the dominant motorcycle company in the American marketplace -- some studies estimate that Harley is responsible for more than 50% of motorcycle sales in the U.S. -- the Milwaukee-based company is particularly targeting younger riders and smaller riders, with a view to bringing in buyers in the domestic market who might not be able to afford a bike as expensive as a traditional Harley and those in the Asian market who might not want a bike as large as a traditional Harley.

Harley will also be able to supply bikes for its own Riders Edge program, a rider training series that, for first-time riders, requires a 500cc or under motorcycle. In the past, during the period that the company was partnered with designer Erik Buell, Harley had used the 500cc Buell Blast for this purpose.

Levatich is bullish on the Street's chances in the marketplace. Having already stirred up the motorcycle world with the August release of its new Project Rushmore machines, Levatich said he's hearing from his dealers that the Streets will catch fire.

"We thought the competition was not going to like Project Rushmore," a dealer told Levatich. "Well, the competition is really not going to like this bike."

ALSO:

Harley-Davidson breaks out the 2013 Breakout

First Times Ride: Moto Guzzi's new California 1400 Custom

Indian Chief roars into history with Final Edition

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a current Sportster owner (set on selling or trading mine and getting a CTX next spring), I think these bikes are a great idea but what I don't understand is how much HD thinks the Street 750 will take sales away from the Sportsters, especially the 883 Iron. I'm thinking the power to weight ratio will make the Street 750 a little quicker than the 883, it's cheaper, lighter, and I think looks cooler. Who would buy the Iron with this next to it in the showroom?

Reactions: gregsfc

·
Banned
463 Posts
Okay, I am predjudice, I don't and never have liked Hardleys.
I think this post is on the wrong forum.
It has nothing to do with CTX700s.
Should be deleted!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I disagree, the CTX700 and Harley Street are of similar size, weight, power, seating position and price. Potential owner/buyers (myself included) would be very likely take a look at both before deciding on one or the other. I think it's very helpful to talk about what else is out there. Fun too.

Reactions: zoomdba

·
Registered
191 Posts
Information is golden, and comparing models and brands equals information. I do not care for HD either. Rattles my brain every time one drives by.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I am predjudice, I don't and never have liked Hardleys.
I think this post is on the wrong forum.
It has nothing to do with CTX700s.
Should be deleted!
You may go through the procedures to delete any or all my posts if you wish for what ever reason you want. If you can. It's there if those with the power to delete want to keep it. Not a problem on my end if it goes away. Looks like you've got enough votes to get rid of it, if that decision is based on popularity. I'll not delete myself though. It was started under "Honda Versus the Competition" forum. Those with the power to delete can make their own decisions based on whatever criteria they want to decide what is appropriate and what is not.

I've not got an opinion on the posted article that I care to share, but I'll still post news items that I think can add to board until I decide to quit on my own or someone with the power to disallow it keeps me from doing it, and I'll not restrain from posting about particular brands based on others' biases against them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm really glad Harley is releasing new bikes with more modern engines. Honda has changed the game for cruisers with the CTX. Any manufacturer that wants to continue to sell cruisers will need to get away from building machines that seem to have come straight out of the 1950s.

Air cooled engines that are designed to last more than a few tens of thousands of miles will not easily meet the upcoming more stringent emissions requirements.

The old Harley faithful are dying off. These new bikes are a great first step toward keeping Harely-Davidson relevant for the next generation.

Reactions: scott

·
Banned
463 Posts
You may go through the procedures to delete any or all my posts if you wish for what ever reason you want. If you can. It's there if those with the power to delete want to keep it. Not a problem on my end if it goes away. Looks like you've got enough votes to get rid of it, if that decision is based on popularity. I'll not delete myself though. It was started under "Honda Versus the Competition" forum. Those with the power to delete can make their own decisions based on whatever criteria they want to decide what is appropriate and what is not.

I've not got an opinion on the posted article that I care to share, but I'll still post news items that I think can add to board until I decide to quit on my own or someone with the power to disallow it keeps me from doing it, and I'll not restrain from posting about particular brands based on others' biases against them.
Hi Greg,
I did that specifically to yank your chain.
You react so well to this stuff.
I think you need a Hardley.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
H-D = Overpriced, all hype, outdated, unreliable junk! Just one example here, how long did it take to mass produce a liquid cooled bike??? 110 years with the technology proven to be better and has been out during their complete life cycle!!! For H-D to advertise this new to them technology in 2013 is downright embarrassing! If it wasn't american made and having no other reputable american made bikes for a competitor, they would have been out of business decades ago!

It must have been a very sad day for them when they finally broke down and started to use cc's, liquid cooling, same competitive prices and looks just like the other brands! H-D is nothing special, never was! The bikes will do well in sales, why, cause of the brand name!

OP-they are not street fighters...

·
Banned
463 Posts
Yeah, that's why I never bought one.

I did say I'd buy one if they put the V-Rod engine in an Ultra. That is the only worthwhile engine they had, but the die hard Harley fans wanted the relic to keep on vibrating.

·
Banned
463 Posts
What do you want.....a medal????

Make sure you wear your costume, like a bad ass, when you ride.

Oh.....helmets not allowed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I owned a 2003 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electraglide. It was the only bike I ever owned that I did not like.

I sold it to a friend of mine who thinks it's the highlight of his life. He loves it.

The difference is that I want a bike as a form of transportation. I want to ride to work. I want to ride to the store. I want to ride the curvy roads in scenic areas. I have no interest in being seen or heard by anyone other than the folks around me who might otherwise run me over.

My friend cleans the Harley after every ride. He makes sure everyone who sees him knows he is dressed like a Biker. He very rarely rides the bike to work. For him, the bike is about lifestyle. It's not really about transportation.

My experience with Harleys is that they shake, make a lot of noise, and move poorly down the road. I spent more money maintaining one Harley than I spent on the last seven Hondas put together. And the Hondas averaged ten times as many miles per year.

I have never ridden one of the Porsche Harleys with the water cooled engines. If they ever put one of those designs in a proper tourer, I will seriously consider buying one.

I want Harley to be successful. The American motorcycle market would be in really bad shape without them. I hope they put these new motors in every new bike they come out with. I hope they learn from the Europeans and the Japanese about how to build a proper touring bike.

These new cruisers are a good first step. They have better technology, but they don't look different enough to fully alienate the old Harley Faithful. I would expect Harley to produce many new models with this type of engine in the near future. I think they will even have to move to more modern styling to compete with bikes like the CTX series from Honda.

As for removing posts for being off topic: This is the forum for discussing the competition. Whether you believe it or not, these new Harleys compete directly with the CTX700. So does the Star Bolt and even the Honda NC line of bikes.

·
Banned
463 Posts
As for removing posts for being off topic: This is the forum for discussing the competition. Whether you believe it or not, these new Harleys compete directly with the CTX700. So does the Star Bolt and even the Honda NC line of bikes.
If you are talking about me as I said.....I like to yank gregsfc's chain.....he reacts so well.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Jfkingd,
Adios amigo.
Nice chatting with you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ride a Sportster. I wear a full face Biltwell helmet. I don't own any Harley apparel. It's a fun bike to ride for short distances and I like the way it looks and sounds with the stock pipes. I just like riding motorcycles and don't care about putting out any image. I assume we're on the forum because we like motorcycles in general, why the close-mindedness? I don't get it….

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Ever ridden a Harley?
Nope, to expensive and have a bad image to me. Not bad image of having no helmet or an outlaw, but, you loose all common sense! Most H-D owners I have talked to act like they know it all and have to have every chrome accessory and apparel ever made and must fit this image~

It's funny you asked that question, cause they all ask me that! Extreme vibration and a cool sound doesn't complete my needs! I watch some of those bikes and the engine is ready to jump out of the frame literaly! Why do you think every other brand tries to eliminate vibration and here H-D promotes it? Look, H-D is now following suit with these new bikes~

Goodbye jerks.

Have a nice life.

I am off of this site for good.
Bye, don't forget your eagle!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
This has been amusing tread to read. Harley has been around a long time. My Dad gave me his 1941 knucklehead 74 when I was 15. I can remember when lived 3 blocks from the nation headquarters for the ****'s Angles headquarters in Oakland in 1970 and saw many unsavory riders. Many types of organized bikers exist now and Harley dealers promote their product well. They promote motorcycles in a good light regardless of what private clubs have done. There are sport bike rider clubs that have also degraded motorcyclists lately too. Overall I think the Harley brand has done better since it became employee owned and even if they only made the HD golf card and were successful I would root for them even though I no longer ride a Harley (owned 5). They are fine for what they are and people for whatever reason the like them and still buy them.

Since this thread is about competition any bike here that might be considered instead of a CTX should be presented on advertised facts and rider experiences and not personnal feelings based on ideas of what a motorcycle should be because after all a Harley is a Harley and a Honda a Honda and a Ford is not a Chevy....

I like dissenting posts (they are more fun to read) as long as they have supporting info or be just in jest but JEST is not always apparent and must be used wisely (imho) because it is easy to get one's back up.... but then I digress

ride often, ride safe, ride what you want and as long as you don't bad mouth my ride, you can ride with me anytime.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.