CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I used to ride out to Pietown. A small hole in the stop on I40 in NM, but the best pies and quite a variety. In fact that was why they WERE called pietown. Two restaurants I would frequent, good home cooking, and wonderful pies to take home. Used to have a Dance at the 4th of July open stage; a lot of fun and cute curio shop. I say used to, as of now they are GHOST TOWN USA. Yep gone completely because of COVID. It was a nice weekend trip up in the pines, and a good road. Ok so off for chinese food. Hard to get authentic Chinese food in Arizona, unless you can find a Chinese district that wants real Chinese food. Not tonight, no any other night it seems. Closed Permanently. We can no longer predict what coffee shops or food stops might be open along any ride, so unless I want to take to take a backpack full of food and water, those trips are out. Toilets I don't care about. However taking my own cooking along just seems to dull the enjoyment. Can't depend on motels to be open on route either. Anyone else finding their rides are going the way of the dodo?

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Motorcycle touring is very difficult if not impossible these days. My rides are just day trips, and I only trust the food I carry with me anyway. By the way, I just checked my gas mileage, and even carrying my portly carcass around, my CTX still gets 70.6 mpg. Amazing.(y)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I ride with some folks I met through meetup.com about 10 years ago. We would go on 2 or 3 rides a month except in the winter and even then we would have a nice Christmas party. Only had a couple of rides in the last few months. Had to cancel the monthly dinner meetings due to restaurant closures. This Covid can’t end too soon.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorcycle touring is very difficult if not impossible these days. My rides are just day trips, and I only trust the food I carry with me anyway. By the way, I just checked my gas mileage, and even carrying my portly carcass around, my CTX still gets 70.6 mpg. Amazing.(y)
That's because the CTX is a good bike. With the type of mileage we get, and reasonable comfort, it is sad that it was not continued.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
howdy from one sad rider.
the rides have gone the way of the 200 dollar hamburger when i'd get in the plane and fly to a new airport , have a burger and fly home. now you can't count on finding a restaurant(mcydees is not a restaurant), can't count on anything and when vulnerable like i am in not being able to walk far if something does wrong , it's just not worth the risk. i don't like plastic food in a plastic container, i want it cooked on a germ laden grill and spit on by the cook as it's shoveled on a chipped plate and washed down by coffee from a chipped and stained mug. oh well.
ken

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howdy from one sad rider.
the rides have gone the way of the 200 dollar hamburger when i'd get in the plane and fly to a new airport , have a burger and fly home. now you can't count on finding a restaurant(mcydees is not a restaurant), can't count on anything and when vulnerable like i am in not being able to walk far if something does wrong , it's just not worth the risk. i don't like plastic food in a plastic container, i want it cooked on a germ laden grill and spit on by the cook as it's shoveled on a chipped plate and washed down by coffee from a chipped and stained mug. oh well.
ken
I gave up on Italian. Congealed food that I have to take home and reheat from plastic is worse than terrible. Liked Olive Gardens, all you can eat Salad, and soup. Food wasn't bad either. Take outs also seem to be smaller than the sit down, but price is the same. Anyways heard that the Chain that also includes Red Lobster will definitely go bye bye in another shut down, if not before. Maybe I am not the only one who hates sticky spaghetti off a paper plate. Actually I gave up eating out period. Never know now if the place is open or not and too many phones are no longer answered.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
I've also been keeping to day trips. The biggest impact of Covid issues for me is you can't depend on bathroom stops; after that, you have less of a choice of stops to eat. So yeah, besides planning on gas stops, you have to think more about the other stops (gas stations with convenience stores or fast food places attached, and highway rest stops, are most likely to have bathrooms), make an occasional google or advance call to see if place A is open or place B has public bathrooms, etc.

It's okay, though, because it makes you think more about the ride. If I realize I need to bring my own food, fine, I make sandwiches. I make sure I take a bathroom break before I go. I make sure I'm prepared, because there are fewer resources out there. Or I commit to just riding and seeing what happens, which can be a pleasure in itself.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I get out a lot but pretty much have to stay in Ontario. I have had no problems with food and drink. Most of our fast food outlets are open,some just drive through, but others have take out and you can get nearly anything. Last night went by a restaurant, open, turned around and went back. Ordered liver and onions, no problem, they brought it out to me and I sat at a picnic table and had a great meal. Biggest problem for me is lodging. I have to do day trips only.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've also been keeping to day trips. The biggest impact of Covid issues for me is you can't depend on bathroom stops; after that, you have less of a choice of stops to eat. So yeah, besides planning on gas stops, you have to think more about the other stops (gas stations with convenience stores or fast food places attached, and highway rest stops, are most likely to have bathrooms), make an occasional google or advance call to see if place A is open or place B has public bathrooms, etc.
Bingo. I had to go to southwest Ontario to see my mom and get some papers signed for my dad's estate. Filled my car with gas (was going to take the bike but projected thunderstorms changed my plans) and headed out. No need for gas as I'm good for 700 km per tank; food ok, but was unpleasantly surprised to find the number of places where the washrooms were closed. Thank goodness for Canadian Tire!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
I gave up on Italian. Congealed food that I have to take home and reheat from plastic is worse than terrible.
My wife says the same thing about Italian (and Chinese) food! When I go on my day trips, I haven't been trying to find much beyond fast foods for lunch. Now that more places are opening, I'm keeping my eye out for the occasional surprise lunch place, but I'm not depending on them unless I've located and called in advance.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife says the same thing about Italian (and Chinese) food! When I go on my day trips, I haven't been trying to find much beyond fast foods for lunch. Now that more places are opening, I'm keeping my eye out for the occasional surprise lunch place, but I'm not depending on them unless I've located and called in advance.
Here they open up, and then close down again, either never to reopen, or reopen empty as patrons can't follow the randomnicity. I've called, suppose to be open, and then they were not. Or they just don't answer phones anymore. The public is getting used to non dining. McDonalds, Taco Bell, Arbys and Del Taco. Apparently Wendy's is not doing well. And the gourmet burger joints are in poor shape. And of course they say fast foods are no good, but apparently they have suddenly become ok. Oh well. In this heat we want to be able to go into an air conditioned room to eat, not eat under a cactus. Just doesn't have the same cooling effect.

·
Registered
741 Posts
With thousands dead around the country, we should be feeling the loss for a while before we find our new normal.

Here in PA yesterday, my wife and I went to a couple State Park areas on either side of the "PA Grand Canyon" and crossed tens of folks here and there, maybe a couple hundred total. Those of you who know my wife know we took the van and packed lunch, water, and power-aide. We saw several bikers and other people as well and I sure would love to spend a week or two on two wheels exploring all the small roads around the mountain ranges that formed along with that canyon.)
Mostly normal people, they smiled and nodded more that talking, most covered their mouth if talking, very few wearing masks seemed to fit in fine. We had our masks with us and used them rarely. We even traded cameras with a young couple that could use a shot in front of the scenery, and they returned the favor.
Two campgrounds nearby were open and had plenty of business, a few local eateries were not empty. When we returned, we dined inside a national chain steak house. Half the tables blocked off, we used masks to order then took them off to eat, using sign language to thank the waiter for service and refills.

Maybe a little too close to normal. When the Governor opened the state he released a statement that we won't be able to stay open unless the citizens at large continue separations and protections to prevent new spreading of the virus. Many states that opened earlier are already reporting increased cases of illness. I've been told staying closed indefinitely is unsustainable, and brings it's own loss of life in other ways. I pray the courtesy of respecting others will help prevent a new wave across the country. I don't expect fighting over the last loot from busted stores during riots will help serve the same purpose.

Whatever normal is, I hope to see you all and more like us out there with knees in the breeze as long as God grants us the strength and ability to enjoy the wonderful roads around this great earth.

+ Shiny side up,

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
373 Posts
In this heat we want to be able to go into an air conditioned room to eat, not eat under a cactus. Just doesn't have the same cooling effect.
We're having the usual 90s temps (and the usual high humidity) in the DC region now, and my bike's thermometer has registered 110 degrees after sitting around for more than 10 minutes. Not as bad as where you are, but bad enough. So I look hard for shady places to park, especially if I'm on a rest stop. The other nice thing about this region is lots and lots of forests and therefore lots of shade. The only catch is getting to it before everyone else!

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I originally bought this bike for my sales call trips around Northern CA, but that all fell off after my son died last year. I've only been on it 4 or 5 times since. Just don't feel like I have the heart for much anymore. Anyway, I still have to work, so I've been taking my Sienna van, and still logging about 40,000 miles/yr. The worst things about being a "road warrior" are finding places to eat, and places for "pit stops". Since the Covid crisis, they're both in short supply. A fellow rep told me that you should check your maps app on your phone for Lowe's or Home Depot stores, He was right. I also found that Target stores have clean restrooms. When I was a lot younger, I never had a bike with large saddlebags, or trunk. Most of what I rode were cruisers or dirt bikes, so I was in the habit of packing a lunch, and carrying it in my back pack. With the shortage of decent restaurants, I've started packing my lunch again. Now it's in Tupperware, and probably a lot healthier. Hoping that his trend will help me lose a few lbs. Anyway, stay safe, and stay healthy.

DD

1 - 15 of 15 Posts