CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
C'mon, man. I read that article when it first came out. The writer didn't even know what dark side was. Never heard of it. Would never try riding a bike with a car tire. And depended on manufacturers for his "research". The Harley R and E guy says tires are an integral part of a motorcycle, that can't be upset. Then Harley throws a 250 series tire on the back of their bike, and it is okay. Reminds me of the Harley guys who said you can't use synthetic oil, because it is too slippery for the roller bearings. But once the Screaming Eagle brand came out, synthetic was okay. Tire manufacturers want to sell tires. In todays highly litigious society, if any manufacturer said a car tire is okay, the next time some retard took a 25 mph turn at 60 mph, he would sue everybody. The idiots on juries would pay him. I was a member of the Burgman USA forum for 5 years. Lot of riders of the 650's, and even the 400, darksided. Some stayed with it. Others went back to cycle tires. The anti-darksiders remind me of the people in 1902 who said man will never fly. Yep, car tires will never work on a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
C'mon, man. I read that article when it first came out. The writer didn't even know what dark side was. Never heard of it. Would never try riding a bike with a car tire. And depended on manufacturers for his "research". The Harley R and E guy says tires are an integral part of a motorcycle, that can't be upset. Then Harley throws a 250 series tire on the back of their bike, and it is okay. Reminds me of the Harley guys who said you can't use synthetic oil, because it is too slippery for the roller bearings. But once the Screaming Eagle brand came out, synthetic was okay. Tire manufacturers want to sell tires. In todays highly litigious society, if any manufacturer said a car tire is okay, the next time some retard took a 25 mph turn at 60 mph, he would sue everybody. The idiots on juries would pay him. I was a member of the Burgman USA forum for 5 years. Lot of riders of the 650's, and even the 400, darksided. Some stayed with it. Others went back to cycle tires. The anti-darksiders remind me of the people in 1902 who said man will never fly. Yep, car tires will never work on a motorcycle.
And some still believe the world is flat even with all the available information, evidence and proof out there. So you have that~

No one said they will never work, these videos are proof that they do work, you can see them mounted and in action. The point here is that it isn't ideal or designed for the job.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Rebel, I suggest you go to the Coker Tire Company website. Look at the vintage motorcycle tires. The tread pattern looks like what? I believe it is car tires.
You do understand that’s to fit the vintage look, right?

I don’t know how it is not possible for someone to understand there WAS A REASON MC tires were developed... specifically for motorcycles. Through testing, research, studies and money spent. As opposed to sticking to car tires and call it a day, and being cheaper.

If MotoGP or any form of MC racing does not give you a hint why they don’t use car tires since they are better, I don’t know what will.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Jfc, that "slight" lean angle was scraping the center stand, on both left and right turns.
Uh huh. Now, how many times are you gonna do that until the sidewall starts breaking apart inside the tire? By gosh, will you just get a car tire and put it on and be done with this? I think your arguments are both wrong and silly, but obviously you've convinced yourself that mc tire companies are just out to screw you over. So go prove it. Ain't nobody going to bother you, brother.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You do understand that’s to fit the vintage look, right?

I don’t know how it is not possible for someone to understand there WAS A REASON MC tires were developed... specifically for motorcycles. Through testing, research, studies and money spent. As opposed to sticking to car tires and call it a day, and being cheaper.

If MotoGP or any form of MC racing does not give you a hint why they don’t use car tires since they are better, I don’t know what will.
Some (many) people never scrape a peg, their tires are worn flat and look like car tire anyway. So for them (me) car tire will work. The MC tire is round for quick turns and flicker-ability, many people don't need that, they go touring in straight lines...
Also, you'll never ride CT on a side wall, it mushrooms when you lean and sidewall gets out of the way, so it's a stretch to say it will ruin a sidewall...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
And some still believe the world is flat even with all the available information, evidence and proof out there.
Rebel, no, not the Earth. We, Deplorables knew it was flat from the beginning! ...Also, my tire is worn real flat now and looking like a car tire anyway, that's true.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Also, you'll never ride CT on a side wall, it mushrooms when you lean and sidewall gets out of the way, so it's a stretch to say it will ruin a sidewall...
Did you watch the second video? NO mushrooming and he's all over the sidewall.

Either way, there isn't a car tire made except one that will fit the CTX so this is all a mute point. But good luck with that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was a darksider.

I had an '02 Goldwing which I rode for ten years. The last three years were all on car tires. I wore out three of them over a span of about 42,000 miles. Averaged 9000 miles on mc tires, 14,000 on the car tires. My style of riding was and is aggressive which lends itself to dragging pegs, etc. As far as I''m concerned, if I was still on the wing, I would be using car tires. Better traction out of turns, stopping, better ride due to less air pressure. Would I use one on my CTX? I don't think so. It's not heavy enough. The wing was 900 pounds, the CTX half that. This is the reason car tires are not used on race bikes.
My take on the arguments against car tires is that most naysayers have never tried it and are not willing to.
There has never been documented an accident involving a Gold Wing caused by a car tire. Harley riders have been using car tires for years without problems. This is my experience and why I believe car tires have a place in motorcycling.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had an '02 Goldwing which I rode for ten years. The last three years were all on car tires. I wore out three of them over a span of about 42,000 miles. Averaged 9000 miles on mc tires, 14,000 on the car tires. My style of riding was and is aggressive which lends itself to dragging pegs, etc. As far as I''m concerned, if I was still on the wing, I would be using car tires. Better traction out of turns, stopping, better ride due to less air pressure. Would I use one on my CTX? I don't think so. It's not heavy enough. The wing was 900 pounds, the CTX half that. This is the reason car tires are not used on race bikes.
My take on the arguments against car tires is that most naysayers have never tried it and are not willing to.
There has never been documented an accident involving a Gold Wing caused by a car tire. Harley riders have been using car tires for years without problems. This is my experience and why I believe car tires have a place in motorcycling.
Pls. Give me the reason why car tires are not used on the Gold Wing and heavy bikes straight out of the factory. Is it a conspiracy? Is it corporate greed? Is it because designers are stupid? It is certainly not cost, since MC tires are more expensive. Hm, why don’t MC manufactures stick a 300 width tire on a 200HP+ super bike with a weight to power ratio a mclaren can on only dream of, and I’m talking designing a motorcycle specific 300 width tire, not a car tire. Hm, maybe it is studied and researched? Nah, than can’t be it.

Like MDaniel4 said, feel free. No one is stopping you. I will not find out myself, and it’s OK with me.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Pls. Give me the reason why car tires are not used on the Gold Wing and heavy bikes straight out of the factory. Is it a conspiracy? Is it corporate greed? Is it because designers are stupid? It is certainly not cost, since MC tires are more expensive. Hm, why don’t MC manufactures stick a 300 width tire on a 200HP+ super bike with a weight to power ratio a mclaren can on only dream of, and I’m talking designing a motorcycle specific 300 width tire, not a car tire. Hm, maybe it is studied and researched? Nah, than can’t be it.

Like MDaniel4 said, feel free. No one is stopping you. I will not find out myself, and it’s OK with me.
For someone saying it is okay with you, you sure do bitch alot. Dark siding isn't for everyone. If you don't mind spending $250 every 8-12,000 miles, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

For someone saying it is okay with you, you sure do bitch alot. Dark siding isn't for everyone. If you don't mind spending $250 every 8-12,000 miles, do what makes you happy.
Care to answer any of the questions? Stating, like others, tire tech is specific for a reason is bitching? Why do you even ask if you don’t want an opinion? Which, BTW, is just that MC makers know better than you. And Me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
after reading many posts and getting some great feedback from this forum on how great the ctx is for handling and how great the bike is.
i don't know you would want to throw a car-like tire on it and change the whole geometry and the design that Honda has put into making this bike?
i have seen this topic before but i will stick to the motorcycle tire as long as i ride.
tire longevity means nothing to me vs a tire that is design for the job.
besides that i think its better to pull it all apart for tire changes so you can clean up all the old grease and bearings while your at it and give it some fresh grease and inspect all parts.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Care to answer any of the questions? Stating, like others, tire tech is specific for a reason is bitching? Why do you even ask if you don’t want an opinion? Which, BTW, is just that MC makers know better than you. And Me.
I don't have to answer the questions, because while countless designers, engineers, manufacturers and corporate reps are saying NO to a car tire on a motorcycle or scooter, thousands of riders prove everyday that it can, and more importantly, IS done. Dave K on the Burgman forum has over 100,000 miles on car tires on his bike. Yet people will STILL say to him he can't do it, it is dangerous, etc.' etc., etc. motorcycle makers know only what they know. They are oblivious to what they don't know, which is that car tires work very well on some motorcycles and scooters.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Engineers said heavier than air flight is impossible. Then they said man will never travel faster than the speed of sound. Then they said spCe travel isn't possible. They said if you split an atom, it will cause a chain reaction that will incinerate the earth. The biggest one is the engineers who said when the clocks turned to begin the year 2000, all the computers in the world will crash. They are also wrong about a car tire on a bike.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Engineers said heavier than air flight is impossible. Then they said man will never travel faster than the speed of sound. Then they said spCe travel isn't possible. They said if you split an atom, it will cause a chain reaction that will incinerate the earth. The biggest one is the engineers who said when the clocks turned to begin the year 2000, all the computers in the world will crash. They are also wrong about a car tire on a bike.
That's your argument? If that were actually so, they wouldn't have spent so much time and effort into reaching those lofty goals in the first place. Putting a car tire on a motorcycle isn't exactly rocket science and it doesn't take an engineering degree to understand the limitations and how unsafe it really is. I know several riders with over a million riding miles under their belt who have never been down. Yet, they will be the first to tell you it only takes once.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts