CTX 700 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Actually, it started in the 60's. My first bike was a 1966 Sprint 250. A pain in the ass to start the first start of the day. After the initial start, it started easily. This was a good handling bike, and at least mine, was very reliable. The local Harley dealer Sal Scirpo rode one of these in National Enduros and was very successful. Check the link below. He won the 1963 Corduory Enduro on a 250 Sprint. He also won the Jack Pine on a 1955 Triumph. I knew him well, as my older brother bought several Harleys from in, and I bought my used Sprint from him. I just didn't realize at the time, that he was a national caliber enduro rider.
Yes, they were produced in the 60's. When the "Then Came Bronson" series aired in 1970, Michael Parks rode a Sportster, but in a couple episodes he competed in races, and was actually on a Sprint that had been customized to look like a Sportster with a false rear jug, and a few other changes. .

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I feel the same way. I've owned 7 Harleys since 1999. The only bike I did not like was the 2020 Lowrider, which was now on the softail frame. I had it for 6 months and traded it in for a 2016 Ultra Limited. Before the 2020 Lowrider I had a 2016 Softail Heritage Classic. I wish I had never traded that in for the 2020 Lowrider. Lesson learned.

Here is my Heritage Classic
View attachment 86760

Then my 2020 Lowrider
View attachment 86761

and now my current 2016 Ultra Limited
View attachment 86762

and of course my 2014 CTX700N
View attachment 86763
I belonged to Club Eaglerider, and rented a new (2020) Lowrider, and loved it. I'm a small guy and most of the bigger bikes don't fit, but the lowrider worked great. It had the M-8, and I find that engine vastly superior, and smoother than previous H-D's that I've ridden, and night and day better than my old Sportster. It also handled crosswinds better than my CTX.

·
Super Moderator
3,168 Posts
I feel the same way. I've owned 7 Harleys since 1999. The only bike I did not like was the 2020 Lowrider, which was now on the softail frame. I had it for 6 months and traded it in for a 2016 Ultra Limited. Before the 2020 Lowrider I had a 2016 Softail Heritage Classic. I wish I had never traded that in for the 2020 Lowrider. Lesson learned.
<snip>...
View attachment 86762
Your Ultra is what a Harley should look like, however you really are bit too thin to complete the picture! :giggle:

·
Registered
151 Posts

View attachment 86760

Then my 2020 Lowrider
View attachment 86761

View attachment 86762

View attachment 86763
One of my Harleys was a 2002 Heritage Classic. The most comfortable, relaxing to ride bike I have ever owned. Actually, the riding position on the CTX reminds me of the Heritage. Similar type of power too, except the Heritage had more.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the old stuff is what everyone wants why arent sales numbers flat or up, instead of them sinking every year - vb18?
Are those sales numbers the new norm for HD?
I believe there is a base that want the normal Harley bike, but you have to get new riders or you wont survive.
I agree 100% that Harley needs new riders, which is why I previously stated that I think it is foolish of them not to bring the 338cc bike into this country. Those sales numbers probably are the norm if they don't get their base back. They lost many riders starting in 2018 when they discontinued Dynaglides and restyled many Softails with a futuristic look. I say they lost many riders, but some riders would be more accurate. What happened with many that I know, is they will not buy a new Harley, but look for a used Harley 2017 or earlier. They are still Harley riders, just hoping Harley gets back to what they want.

·
Registered
151 Posts

View attachment 86760

Then my 2020 Lowrider
View attachment 86761

View attachment 86762

View attachment 86763
Looks wise, the Low Rider is one of my favorite new Harleys except for that Japanese looking paint job. Why do I like it? Because it still has that classic Harley look.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
snippage.... And now they are going for bigger engines for first time riders (if any). No intimidation factor there!
Local Kawasaki owner told me years ago that almost 80% of first time riders who buy a bike that is 750 cc or larger are not riding a year after purchase.

On the other hand, as to Harley's in general, last fall while riding through the maritimes, I think almost 60% of all bikes I was were Harleys.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Local Kawasaki owner told me years ago that almost 80% of first time riders who buy a bike that is 750 cc or larger are not riding a year after purchase.

On the other hand, as to Harley's in general, last fall while riding through the maritimes, I think almost 60% of all bikes I was were Harleys.
When I was in Toronto Looking at bikes, the only "real shops" where Harley's. The Hondas were sold with lawn mowers and generators. It was rather odd.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ah,but that is Hogtown. In Ottawa, we do have HD, but also Honda, Kawasaki / Triumpth / BMW and my favorite, Motor Sports World, that deals with Suzuki, Bombardier and a few others, but has good ethics and quality mechanics. You can always get a lawnmower to go with you CTX at Honda...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have had many bikes since buying a brand new Cushman Eagle in 1953 - but never a Harley. Here they are: My 20+ bikes

Way Back In The Day I (1966) a Dealer for Yamaha, Kawasaki, & BSA. We sent many a virgin rider wobbling off down the road on a pipey Kawi 500 Triple. Those that survived the surprise wheelies may have gone on to a Harley

·
Registered
149 Posts
When I was in Toronto Looking at bikes, the only "real shops" where Harley's. The Hondas were sold with lawn mowers and generators. It was rather odd.
Harley's marketing got to the people they should ride only Harley's. How it got this way, people tend to follow what everybody else is doing just like $1000 phones it's popular, in demand, the style I want one because everyone else has one. Hondas sit in smaller dealerships along with other products. Only a few of us are Honda fans, we like the bikes how well built and reliable they are.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have had many bikes since buying a brand new Cushman Eagle in 1953 - but never a Harley. Here they are: My 20+ bikes

Way Back In The Day I (1966) a Dealer for Yamaha, Kawasaki, & BSA. We sent many a virgin rider wobbling off down the road on a pipey Kawi 500 Triple. Those that survived the surprise wheelies may have gone on to a Harley
Love many of your bikes. My favorites are the BSA Lightning, Honda ST1100, and both Moto Guzzis. I have always been a fan of twin cylinder bikes, but that V4 has also appealed to me.

·
Super Moderator
3,168 Posts

I too, love your old bikes. I'm only 4 years behind you in age and rode and/or owned several of them myself. My first bike was the Tiger Cub. The Eagles & Mustangs were a big hit in Jr. High (at the time, 14 was the age for scooter & small bike licencing). One was in a special category of "Cool" in Jr. High if you owned anything with a gas motor, even a Whizzer or a Simplex with the belt drive (a personal favorite of mine). BTW, we had a Simplex dealer right across from the school and I wandered thru there many a time.
:cool:

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
397 Posts
What happened with many that I know, is they will not buy a new Harley, but look for a used Harley 2017 or earlier. They are still Harley riders, just hoping Harley gets back to what they want.
I wanted a Vrod, but was unable to afford one when they were out; otherwise, it would probably be in my garage now, and I wouldn't be on this forum!

Harley has always been all about the style, even to the length of ignoring modern technology improvements and quality to maintain that style. But the 1950s aren't as popular as they once were (and, honestly, weren't nearly as great as they believed). I'm guessing over time HD may end up abandoning mass production and ending up a single custom one-off manufacturer, keeping just enough of their bikes on the road to maintain the nostalgia that sells all the clothing and badging to everyone else. Or they have to finally embrace modern tech and style, and step up quality, to keep new riders coming back in mass production numbers.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Absolutely no reason you can't have cool retro styling and modern technology.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you like a cruiser with a lot of plastic, that would be the way to go.
I have a Shadow 1100. I prefer to have Honda's reliability. I don't mine a little plastic. My bike has held up rather well over the years. I store it in a garage. You want a Harley it's gonna cost.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts