CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fewer models, bigger engines. I can see fewer models, but bigger engines? Oh well. Here is the revised strategy that Harley will now employ. It also looks like the lower powered sportster may soon be gone. Harley-Davidson Provides Update on Rewire, New Hardwire Plan Coming in Q4
Sportster accounts for almost 1/4 of Harley sales. There will be a Sportster. It may have a different engine. I think Harley's biggest mistake is not bringing the 338cc bike into the USA asap. They say they want new riders. What better way to do this than to have an entry level bike?

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Having owned both a Sportster, and a Street 750, and being as I'm so small, I'm sad at the passing of the Sporty, but fully recognize that the Evo engine was long past its day. I've long said the the V-Rod engine should have gone into the Sportster chassis. And, a simple 1/8" increase in stroke would take the Street 750 to almost 900cc (with needed low end torque). the mile high seat height on the Pan America turns me away, but the Bronx has potential, as does the proposed 1250 Custom. What am I saying... at my age, I'll probably never buy another bike. I'm just holding on to some nostalgia for "the good old days".

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sportster accounts for almost 1/4 of Harley sales. There will be a Sportster. It may have a different engine. I think Harley's biggest mistake is not bringing the 338cc bike into the USA asap. They say they want new riders. What better way to do this than to have an entry level bike?
Would Americans buy a Harley with an engine that small?

·
Premium Member
Yamaha Roadstar,BMW S1000RR, Honda CTX 700
57 Posts
Exclusivity in 2000 had Harley without new floor models for sale in Wisconsin. Few would pay new price for a used bike. I hope they don't try that again.

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
Would Americans buy a Harley with an engine that small?
Back in the early 70's, H-D teamed up with Aermachi to produce numerous small bikes. they had a 250cc and 350cc Harley Sprint Model (4 stroke), and 100cc and 125cc 2stroke dirt bikes. Sold quite a few, but they weren't as good as the Japanese competition, so they faded away.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Back in the early 70's, H-D produced numerous small 125cc and 250cc 2stroke street bikes. Sold quite a few, but they weren't as good as the Japanese competition, so they faded away.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
howdy
i tried to get on the street 750 and found my knees wouldn't bend far enough to get on the pegs. the old and infirm need not apply----
ken

·
Registered
320 Posts
howdy
i tried to get on the street 750 and found my knees wouldn't bend far enough to get on the pegs. the old and infirm need not apply----
ken
I have a complicated view of HD. I love the historical contributions that HD has made globally. I don't like their history of how they inflate prices...but it's thier company. I love the way many of thier models look. I do not like the way they ride...for the most part. I also do not like the build quality on most of the more recent bikes. Great paint though. The deal breaker for me, on the HDs I would like to own, my reticence comes down to the ergos. Even with the tall seats I just never feel comfortable enough to have confidence that I would be comfortable on a 500 miler.

I rode the HD Street 750 for a few hundred miles over several days. Terrible ergos for a tall person. Insanely antiquated gearbox. Suspension was like a cheap Chinese scooter, just barely safe. Exposed wires behind the dash were abound. But, there was something about the engine that I really liked but could not put my finger on it. But man...the heat coming off that thing...fried an egg as they say. I have tons of criticisms about my 3 Hondas, just less than most other brands.

Complete aside...Ride an Indian if you are considering a Harley. From my very limited entirely hobbyist perspective they are superior to HD in nearly every measure. Gorgeous bikes too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Back in the early 70's, H-D teamed up with Aermachi to produce numerous small bikes. they had a 250cc and 350cc Harley Sprint Model (4 stroke), and 100cc and 125cc 2stroke dirt bikes. Sold quite a few, but they weren't as good as the Japanese competition, so they faded away.
Actually, it started in the 60's. My first bike was a 1966 Sprint 250. A pain in the ass to start the first start of the day. After the initial start, it started easily. This was a good handling bike, and at least mine, was very reliable. The local Harley dealer Sal Scirpo rode one of these in National Enduros and was very successful. Check the link below. He won the 1963 Corduory Enduro on a 250 Sprint. He also won the Jack Pine on a 1955 Triumph. I knew him well, as my older brother bought several Harleys from in, and I bought my used Sprint from him. I just didn't realize at the time, that he was a national caliber enduro rider.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Part of their strategy is to build them cheaper, but make them more "exclusive" which means more expensive.

This is the exact opposite of what they should be doing. Very dumb.
Notice how Harley always market (talk) how good it is to own a Harley. But Harley won't say how good they compare and better than the competition.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is something new from Harley. Maybe a new Sportster Engine?
Back to air cooled again, and a hot engine ride. A lot of parts that might go bad. Everyone else is using "water" cooled and Harley possibly wants to go back to air cooled. New Tech, for them but not new tech if the others thought it was a good idea. They had the Porsche engine which had no problems, and the Evolution engine which was also good. Just don't get it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm pretty sure they can't go back to air cooled, with all the emission standards and regulations.
That's the reason the Japanese bikes went to water cooled in the 80s.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts