CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone else is considering the bags I thought I would let you know what my dealer charged. The Hard Bags and mounts are $1000. I am pretty sure they will be an easy install. Windshield is not available yet so no price. If you wanted a Rear Rack, it would be close to $300. That is without the Backrest. I just went with the bags for now. I will get a tall windshield when available.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I know the mounts are different, but with the exception of the colored side panels, the bags are the same as what's available for the NC700X, which can be had on eBay for $429.88, with free shipping. Did they itemize the invoice, so you can see how much you're being charged for the mounts vs. bags, vs installation charges?

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The bags themselves are $599 plus the inner support and mounts. I am opting for the rear carrier and accessory outlet. The dealer can install the acces. outlet and I will install the carrier. By the way that little cubby is larger than in the pictures. There is space on either side of the opening.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the mounts are different, but with the exception of the colored side panels, the bags are the same as what's available for the NC700X, which can be had on eBay for $429.88, with free shipping. Did they itemize the invoice, so you can see how much you're being charged for the mounts vs. bags, vs installation charges?
I will look at the sheet now that you say that. I didn't look at it when I paid. I just grimaced and handed the receipt to my wife for her records.I figured it was inline with the cost of a trunk for an FJR1300 that I bought a few years ago. I paid $700 for just the trunk and mount was additional. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bags themselves are $599 plus the inner support and mounts. I am opting for the rear carrier and accessory outlet. The dealer can install the acces. outlet and I will install the carrier. By the way that little cubby is larger than in the pictures. There is space on either side of the opening.
Yea, the installation should be real easy on the bags and rack. I wanted the rear rack (and may add that later) but keeping cost down a little and adding what she will need the most. I am pretty sure that tall windscreen will be needed when available. Any idea what that will cost?

·
Registered
975 Posts
In case anyone else is considering the bags I thought I would let you know what my dealer charged. The Hard Bags and mounts are $1000. I am pretty sure they will be an easy install. Windshield is not available yet so no price. If you wanted a Rear Rack, it would be close to $300. That is without the Backrest. I just went with the bags for now. I will get a tall windshield when available.
Thanks for the report. Great information!

Personally, I'm not going down that road with Honda. To me, that turns an incomplete touring bike with a good value into a true touring bike that's a poor value. If I can get a windshield and/or rear luggage rack for something close to what I'm used to seeing in the after-market scooter industry, then I'll consider it, but $300 is three times what I paid for a top case and back pad on my scooter. It would be nice to have a top case, but I can get 32 liters of soft storage that's water proof and strap it behind me on the seat for about $70. It won't look as good and not as convenient as hard luggage, because I can't have storage when I'm 2-up, but it's just not worth it to me to pay this kind of money for storage, and I won't do it.

As for hard side cases, that's way out of my price range for storage. I don't ever envision going down that road.

As for a bigger windshield, this is of more importance to me, and I'd be willing to pay a little for one, but based on the reported prices of these other accessories, I'm guessing I'll be waiting on Givi or Falco to come out with one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I currently own my first bike with hard bags (FJR1300) and absolutely love them! Although they can be removed from my bike in seconds and the bike actually looks really good with them off, I never remove them because they are so convenient. I carry my lunch and laptop in one on my daily commute to work and made a removeable cup holder for the other side that allows me to bring Latte's when I'm meeting the wife. It's all secure if I stop somewhere and won't get wet in the rain (it does rain a little here in Seattle in case you haven't heard ;) ).

So the wife is spoiled by the convenience and wants them on her new CTX700D when the finally get some out to dealers. When she was considering the NC700X, I researched the bags and found some online sources that are considerably cheaper than MSRP that most dealers will charge you. I don't have my notes with me, but will post my search results once I dig them up.

I've been buying parts online since I bought that Honda CBR1100XX back in 1997 and it continues with my 2007 Yamaha FJR1300. It's typical to get 25-30% off MSRP from online sources and you may even save on taxes. Shipping cuts into the savings a little, but can be minimized by ordering everything at once. I usually stock up on maintenance parts that I'll be needing in the future and place one big order to save on shipping.

·
Registered
124 Posts
...Personally, I'm not going down that road with Honda. To me, that turns an incomplete touring bike with a good value into a true touring bike that's a poor value. If I can get a windshield and/or rear luggage rack for something close to what I'm used to seeing in the after-market scooter industry, then I'll consider it, but $300 is three times what I paid for a top case and back pad on my scooter. It would be nice to have a top case, but I can get 32 liters of soft storage that's water proof and strap it behind me on the seat for about $70. It won't look as good and not as convenient as hard luggage, because I can't have storage when I'm 2-up, but it's just not worth it to me to pay this kind of money for storage, and I won't do it.

As for hard side cases, that's way out of my price range for storage. I don't ever envision going down that road.

As for a bigger windshield, this is of more importance to me, and I'd be willing to pay a little for one, but based on the reported prices of these other accessories, I'm guessing I'll be waiting on Givi or Falco to come out with one.
I agree. After owning a scooter that was basically ready to ride across the country as it came from the factory, it galls me to see how you buy a motorcycle like any of the new 700s...and then spend thousands to make it useful.

I suspect you can mount a Bestem top box without needing the Honda rack, if you use your imagination.

Chris

·
Registered
975 Posts
I agree.
I suspect you can mount a Bestem top box without needing the Honda rack, if you use your imagination.

Chris
That's amazing; a Bestem 42L box, with tail light, with back pad, and with universal mounting plate for $80! I thought I'd already found cheap boxes when I owned a scooter but I googled Bestem; went to their website; and found what looks like a great deal for hard luggage. And they've got soft luggage, weather resistant for $40 and a black rack for $80.

What gives? Is this real, or is there a catch? My question is then, if these options really works, if there are after-market options out there like Bestem, how do dealers sell luggage. Is there a huge quality difference or does something like this look like crap?

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is no catch. If you're looking for a storage box, this will do the job nicely. If you need things like a remote control to impress your friends, you will need to get a more expensive box.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's amazing; a Bestem 42L box, with tail light, with back pad, and with universal mounting plate for $80! I thought I'd already found cheap boxes when I owned a scooter but I googled Bestem; went to their website; and found what looks like a great deal for hard luggage. And they've got soft luggage, weather resistant for $40 and a black rack for $80.

What gives? Is this real, or is there a catch? My question is then, if these options really works, if there are after-market options out there like Bestem, how do dealers sell luggage. Is there a huge quality difference or does something like this look like crap?
You get what you pay for, so don't expect great reliability or nice fit and finish. I've read reviews from a couple guys on the FJRForum and the consensus seems to be that they work, but lack in quality.

Other options for lower cost than OEM, but higher quality than the Bestem are Shad and Givi. Givi is probably equal to OEM for quality and the Shad is somewhere between the Bestem and Givi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a follow up to my previous post:

For those looking for lower cost options for the part number 08L76-MGS-A50 saddlebags that list for $599.95, check out these options:
www.amsdiscountparts.com $446.54
www.servicehonda.com $437.43
www.discounthondaparts.com $476.24
Even with shipping, you'll still pay a lot less than list price. Make sure to check shipping to your location from all sites, because often a higher price site will end up being cheaper due to lower shipping costs. If you're handy with tools, you can buy all OEM parts from these web sites and do all your own maintenance!

Disclaimer: I have no business relationship with any of those vendors. I'm just trying to save y'all some money. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
You get what you pay for, so don't expect great reliability or nice fit and finish. I've read reviews from a couple guys on the FJRForum and the consensus seems to be that they work, but lack in quality.

Other options for lower cost than OEM, but higher quality than the Bestem are Shad and Givi. Givi is probably equal to OEM for quality and the Shad is somewhere between the Bestem and Givi.
Again, I would say it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something to carry your camping gear, store purchases, laptop briefcase, etc? I used the Bestem 2012 for @57,000 miles. It carried all that, plus things like cases of Costco brand soy milk and their bird seed that probably weighs about 40 lbs. I'm not sure about the weight, but it easily exceeded any limitations by the bike manufacturer for how much weight could be carried there. It did fine and never failed.

Actually, I should correct that statement. The wire strap that holds the lid from falling too far backward when opened did finally give out. But in 57,000 miles of use...that's not bad for an $80 top box.

I've owned two Givi top boxes, and except for the material the top box itself is made of, they are about the same. Good quality, and they hold up to everything I've dished out to them in about 30,000 miles...but I'm not sure there's three times as much value in them for the three times cost.

If you go to the expensive line of Givi products (Monokey), the carrying capacity is technically greater, but it seems like a moot point. (a) If the Bestem 2012 can carry all the weight and abuse I gave it without failing, then the Givi Monolock (less expensive versions) should do fine. And (b) how much weight do you want hanging off the back of your bike and placed up high? You wouldn't want much for any distance, because it would upset the handling a lot.

The Bestem 929 seems to be a clone of the Givi e460N. If the Bestem 929 costs $80 with LED lights, and the Givi e460N costs $245...without lights or a backrest pad...what do I get by buying Givi except the name?

If you're looking for functionality, the Bestem product line is good. If you're looking for something pretty to impress your friends, be prepared to spend several times more.

Chris

·
Registered
975 Posts
The Bestem 929 seems to be a clone of the Givi e460N. If the Bestem 929 costs $80 with LED lights, and the Givi e460N costs $245...without lights or a backrest pad...what do I get by buying Givi except the name?

If you're looking for functionality, the Bestem product line is good. If you're looking for something pretty to impress your friends, be prepared to spend several times more.

Chris
The Bestem seems pretty enough for what I want or need. I'm actually looking for something that's for utility, at least with respect to the luggage, and from your experience, I think it will be durable enough for daily use as long as I don't abuse it, and I won't.

Thanks for the tip Daboo. I knew only of Shad and Givi. There are some lower level Givi products in the scooter range. My Givi has a cable that holds the top and is just plain black, and it is more than adequate in the quality department and in the appearance department, but a little small for a mc that has little other storage area, so even if the Bestem is a little inferior to what I've got on my scooter, I'm sure it would still be good enough for what I'm looking for. Most of the scooter cases from Givi are called Monokey, because they don't market the higher weight capacity cases for scooters, but even so, the Monokey is plenty strong for anything I'd want to carry.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a moderator on BurgmanUSA and BurgmanRiders, two forums for the Burgman scooters. I'd estimate that perhaps 50% of the members of those forums use one of the Bestem top boxes. They have an excellent reputation there for a good basic top box that will last for years with heavy use.

We get some people who want to trick their Burgman scooters out with all the farkles they can find. They usually go for the big, top of the line Givi and Shad top boxes. So I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those top of the line boxes, but it all depends on how much money you want, and what you want out of the top box.

Chris

·
Registered
11 Posts
We get some people who want to trick their Burgman scooters out with all the farkles they can find. They usually go for the big, top of the line Givi and Shad top boxes. So I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those top of the line boxes, but it all depends on how much money you want, and what you want out of the top box.

Chris
Spoken very well. Nothing wrong with cheaper boxes as long as they work. If I remember correctly, you can get cheap boxes from JC Whitney also.

I have a OEM box for my FJR1300 and it's by far the most expensive option. Any other box would have done the trick, but the OEM box just looks more stylish and comes painted to match the bike. A Givi has the same quality, more room inside and costs 100's less. The Bestem doesn't have the spit and polish of my OEM box, but would serve the same function for even more 100's less. Maybe I'm the dummy here? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Spoken very well. Nothing wrong with cheaper boxes as long as they work. If I remember correctly, you can get cheap boxes from JC Whitney also.

I have a OEM box for my FJR1300 and it's by far the most expensive option. Any other box would have done the trick, but the OEM box just looks more stylish and comes painted to match the bike. A Givi has the same quality, more room inside and costs 100's less. The Bestem doesn't have the spit and polish of my OEM box, but would serve the same function for even more 100's less. Maybe I'm the dummy here? ;)
IMO, nothing beats the OEM box design. I'm a person that really cares about how things flow, just can't put any box their, it has to flow! and for that reason the color matched OEM box is the way to go! Might be expensive but a good investment

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just depends on your budget. Oem hardware and equipment is not cheap to begin with. I saw some of the listed prices of the CTX700 accessories and they are expensive. sometimes cheap doesn't mean they don't work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Again, I would say it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want something to carry your camping gear, store purchases, laptop briefcase, etc? I used the Bestem 2012 for @57,000 miles. It carried all that, plus things like cases of Costco brand soy milk and their bird seed that probably weighs about 40 lbs. I'm not sure about the weight, but it easily exceeded any limitations by the bike manufacturer for how much weight could be carried there. It did fine and never failed.

Actually, I should correct that statement. The wire strap that holds the lid from falling too far backward when opened did finally give out. But in 57,000 miles of use...that's not bad for an $80 top box.

I've owned two Givi top boxes, and except for the material the top box itself is made of, they are about the same. Good quality, and they hold up to everything I've dished out to them in about 30,000 miles...but I'm not sure there's three times as much value in them for the three times cost.

If you go to the expensive line of Givi products (Monokey), the carrying capacity is technically greater, but it seems like a moot point. (a) If the Bestem 2012 can carry all the weight and abuse I gave it without failing, then the Givi Monolock (less expensive versions) should do fine. And (b) how much weight do you want hanging off the back of your bike and placed up high? You wouldn't want much for any distance, because it would upset the handling a lot.

Chris
This might not be the prettiest box for the CTX700 but to me everything on it is functional. The led light sand lock for security is a plus. I would get that in a heart beat, $245 is good.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts