CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the torque settings for the clamp bolts which hold the handlebars in place? In order to mount the Madstad screen the bolts have to come out and there is no spec provided by Madstad. They just advise to tighten back bolts to "factory specifications".

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
The service manual says to tighten upper bolts first then lower to SPECIFIED Torque, but there is no specified value in the manual that I can find.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will torque measure them coming off and see if it lies in the 12-15 fp that seems usual for other bikes. I also have a question in with my dealer.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
The service manual says to tighten upper bolts first then lower to SPECIFIED Torque, but there is no specified value in the manual that I can find.
yes, I could not find torque ratings for those bolts.

Service manual page 1-12 does have standard torque for Standard bolts

Type 5mm bolt /nut 3.8lb ft
type 6mm bolt /nut 7 lb ft
type 8mm bolt/nut 17 lb ft 8mm flange bolt/nut 20lb ft
type 10mm bolt/nut 25lb ft 10mm flange bolt/nut 29lb ft
type 12mm bolt/nut 40lb ft

I think if you have a hex allen head you need to compare that to a hex socket head for rating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed a Madstad windshield on my wife's CTX700NDE this afternoon. Before doing so, I found the part number for the handlebar bolt and searched in Google. That yielded a Honda CB900F manual where the bolt is used in exactly the same handlebar application...right down to tightening the top bolts first. The recommended torque is 20 ft-lbs. I set my torque wrench to that value when removing and it was dead on. The install was easy. I was shorted a single flat black washer for the install of the windshield to the bracket.

http://bikes.rwbcs.com/919share/docs/Honda_CB900F_919_Assembly_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
301 Posts
The bolts are 8mm so 17ftlb would be the correct torque. The bar clamp has a dimple by the bolt hole designating front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts