CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All
I have been through the search and read the posts.
If nothing else is available I will settle for the cheap plastic under $20 option.

my wish list is
Wind protection.
2 point attach with some actual impact protection.
I don't want to give up my handle bar weights.

expensive is OK

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got mirror mounted hand guards on amazon-smoked plastic-makes a big difference-if I can find the link I'll be back!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Chaofan is the seller-they are hardly noticeable and don't really detract from the looks of your ctx

·
Super Moderator
3,171 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
getting actual impact protection will be expensive.
As far as wind protection, keeping the bar end weights, and two point connection, these from Ebay will do it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-7-8-Motorcycle-bars-Handguards-Pattern-Hand-Guards-Protectors-/261752983618?var=&hash=item3cf1b19042:m:mubZgotExnvVcBeRda5WF7w&vxp=mtr

I have them, put them on in late Nov. and take them off in Mar.
They work well and I can ride with mesh gloves most of our winter.
Did I mention that price is no consideration

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the CTX700 handle bar is tapered. didn't even notice until someone told me.
that means not every Handguard kit will work.
also explains why when using the bike finder on Barkbusters website the only thing that came up for the CTX700 were single point mounts.
but I think I can make a Barkbusters kit work
and keep my OEM bar end weights
it involves al longer bolt for the bar end that will go through the thick aluminum of the hand guard, and through the OEM bar end weight.
and it involves some judicial work with a Dremel on the handle bar clamp to open up the clamp enough to fit the tapering larger diameter of the bar.
Or
I saw another set of guards that looked interesting. not a 2 point mount. but fairly robust. The Cycra Rebound Handguard. Its a single point mount flag style Handguard but it looks tough, and there is video of some guy bashing one repeatedly with a big stick.
don't much like the looks of Cycra, but that is a minor thing.

another thing I realized about the cheap plastic hand guards you can see on the Outie555 vid is there is no easy escape for the hands in case of a rapid unintentional dismount. that is the purpose of the swoop down frames and clear sides on most of the better hand guards.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I can't offer advice but I am curious if you recently got a good stone hit to the hands? I sent away from Barkbusters back to OEM on my VFR. I just prefer the way they look. Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't offer advice but I am curious if you recently got a good stone hit to the hands? I sent away from Barkbusters back to OEM on my VFR. I just prefer the way they look. Sent you a PM.
Thanks, got your message.
Haven't had a stone hit recently, but am aware of the hazard.
my hands are out there in the wind and I think protection makes sense.

·
Super Moderator
3,171 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I love when people have enough money to spare... I wish they will send some my way 🤪 I add stuff to my bike very slowly cuz I don’t have a fat wallet 😂🤣🤣

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love when people have enough money to spare... I wish they will send some my way 🤪 I add stuff to my bike very slowly cuz I don’t have a fat wallet 😂🤣🤣
Does anybody know of a good source for Gold Plated sprocket Bolts? I specifically want gold plated sprocket bolts because solid gold sprocket bolts are not strong enough. Even the 18K & 20K sprocket bolts are too soft to secure the sprocket to the real wheel.

TIA

·
Registered
763 Posts
I get it
you have one of these
Yeah, all that paper wrapped in leather should stop a good sized tree limb, ice thrown from an angry driver, or maybe even protect from damage when accidentally too close to a low mounted stop sign. I'm curious to see the mounting hardware.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts