CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Not very mechanical, but I think I have the right name of the parts. Got my 2015 used and P.O. had installed Oxford Heated Grips. Occassionally the grip would slip on the throttle tube. Not a big deal until now it slips more easily and eventually the cable from the heated grip can't rotate any more. It appears the grip was not pushed far enough on the throttle tube and/or the end spikes were not ground down. No matter, everything works fine if I can stop the slipping of the grip on the throttle tube. Any simple ideas of what to add in the space by the spiked plastic piece to adhere the two together? Any kind of adhesive for rubber to plastic? Would prefer not removing grip.
throttle1.JPG
throttle2.JPG

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is not that difficult to remove the grip. Grasp the bar-end weight, remove the screw holding it and pull it off the handlebar. The power cable is plenty long, so just create some slack so you can pull the grip off. You can file or sand down that bit of plastic, or not if it doesn’t bother you having the grip that far away from the controls. Make sure the grip slides back on fairly easily. Figure out exactly how you want the grip to be positioned. (I marked the grip where it lines up with the break between the two halves of the switch control, because when you install the grip you only have a moment before the glue sticks.) Oxford recommends - and supplies a 3g tube in the kit - Superglue. They say other glues can’t handle the heat. It’s pretty messy stuff (the gel-type is a little less runny) so cover everything in sight with rags. Some glue will, of course, squeeze out the end, so be ready. Give it 24 hours to set.
CA9BA0BD-501F-4E21-8B6C-37F67DE8D8E9.jpeg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nope. Sorry, I understand now that hair spray could be a wrong answer. But I was surprised how well it worked fixing standard grips.
Darn, I was hoping not to have to use Superglue next time. Terrible stuff to work with. Gel-type is a little better, but not much. I do love my Heaterz, though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for your help. I did a search to find the Oxford glue and no success yet. Looks like next best suggested is the original Gorilla glue. There are some others, but with my clumsiness, I think I will need one that does not set up light speed fast. I will need some time to turn, twist and adjust position. Appreciate the tip to mark the grip position on the throttle tube before hand. Definitely do not want the wiring to impeded the brake lever or the auto/manual switch. I will keep you posted. Yes, hair spray or gel has been the gold standard for years of putting on bicycle handlebar grips. Just probably will not hold up to the heat of the grips.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My Oxford Heaterz came with a 3 gram tube of Superglue. The tube said “Superglue”. Recently, I had to re-do the left grip after yanking the bike off the chock. I got some Gorilla Glue brand Super Glue Gel. A little less runny when applying to the handlebar, but sets up like the original - very fast. BTW if you happen to find yourself in need of a new throttle tube, the Motion Pro 01-0052 will do the job.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,
I am the original poster and finally getting to trying to glue the Oxford grip to the throttle tube. But I can not get the bar end off. Used the correct phillips and held the bar end and the screw started turning. It came out about 1/16 of an inch and the screw now rotates without coming out further and releasing the bar end. Feels like something is stripped insaide?? Any ideas of what to do next??? I read both the threads that deal with bar end and bar weight removal, but this never came up. The previous owner was a bit of a McGuyver guy, so no telling what he did when he had the bar end off the first time. Thanks for any ideas or help. As most projects, what should be the easiest part is what brings you to a screaching halt!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Looks like there is a half moon protrusion sticking out of the bar end that I think matches a notch in the inner weight inside the bar. So now that you have it loose you have to turn and push the bar end into the inner weights notch and that will lock them together so the inner weight with the threads doesn’t spin. If you’re unscrewing the screw and pulling the end outward away from the inner weight, the inner weight can freely spin. Hope this makes sense. See page 17-13 in the service manual for removal instructions. It has a picture showing how the half moon notches must be aligned.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks dgall. I had felt that catch or no catch in there depending on how far out I had the bar end. So.... yes, it makes perfect sense. I will try that making sure the bar end can't turn and also the inside weight can't and try to get the screw out. I have a #3 phillips in a small socket on a small ratchet, so I have a good bite on the screw and a visegrips with some padding holds the bar end well. I will report back tomorrow when I work on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again dgall. That was exactly the trick and even with my old age loss of muscle I was able to grab the bar end with a vise grip and push it inward while unscrewing the screw. It appears it was in with red loctite. Is there a way to clean out that thread and should I use something like that (maybe blue loctite) when I put the screw back???

·
Registered
767 Posts
I wire brushed the threads on the screw. I personally wouldn't put thread locker on it going back on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts